Max and Ermas Tortilla Soup

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] this is my tortilla soup recipe I promised. SO GOOD!!!
I will add my variations on it at the end but this is the recipe as written by top secret recipes for max and ermas soup

1 skinless chicken breast
1 skinless chicken thigh
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup minced white onion
1/4 cup minced anaheim chili
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
6 ounces shredded mild cheddar cheese
2 limes
1/4 cup canned diced tomato
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
tortilla chips

1 Cook the chicken in a saute pan with a little oil on med. for 4-5 minutes per side. (i like to add chalula dry seasoning to the chicken before i brown it). You wont need to worry about cooking the chicken all the way through, since it will finish cooking in the soup. when chicken is cool, chop it into bite-size pieces.

2 In a large saucepan, heat vegetable oil over medium/low heat. Add onion, minced pepper and garlic and slowly sweat for 15 minutes or until the onion turns translucent.

3 Dissolve the cornstarch in the chicken broth, then add mixture to the pan, along with the remaining ingredients. Bring heat to medium while stirring constantly to mix the cheese inches (if you do not mix well, the cheese will just fall to the bottom of the soup) When soup begins to bubble, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

4 when soup is ready to eat, fill your bowl and crumble torilla chips, then cheese and cilantro. :).

5 Now -- the few changes I make is I like to quadruple the recipe and just use a family pack size of boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of using thighs too. I prefer the taste of 3 yellow chili peppers to the anaheim pepper also. I am not a fan of cornstarch so I use flour and add it to my onions before I add them to my soup. I also add a large can of black beans just because I like them, and I dont have mexican oregano so I just use regular oregano instead. hope you enjoy this recipe, i surely do. Also you dont need as much cheese in the soup at all. I use much less but then top it with cheese and tort chips.

While you are more than welcome to post recipes here on English Bulldog News, we would also like to invite you to our newly created forum just for recipe sharing! Inspired by the popularity of our recipe swap here at English Bulldog News. Click the link below!

Taste Tested Recipes

Last edited by a moderator:

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Re: Recipe swap

Mmm! i'm stealing this! I LOVE Tortilla Soup :heart:!! Plus this recipe is much different then the one that I make.. :D

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names

It is the only version I have ever had so I am not a good reviewer of it but everyone who has tasted has also gotten the recipe so I guess it must be very good. haha... Gotta get inside and start making it now while Sierra naps.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver

I can't wait to make the soup. I love soup!!!!!!!!! My whole family will love this.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names

Oh and also a warning if you quadruple it like I do make sure you have a huge pot to cook it in. lol. Took me 2 hours to make such a huge pot of it yesterday but it is good to know I have no work for the next few nights dinner. ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.