Do you know someone joining the military?

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
Okay....almost all of us have someone looking to join the military, I just want to set the facts straight up front and tell everyone what your recruiter won't tell you..that's more than anyone ever did for me..But I figure you have a right to know what you are really getting into. Then if you go in...you can't use my excuse that no one ever told you the truth...

Before you enlist read this!!!!
This is what I know your recruiter never told you about the voluntary military !!! You can take this as gospel. I'm retired military and things still haven't changed...... 
Well here goes. First off let's talk about that little piece of paper your about to sign, your contract with the military branch you want to join. It says that Uncle Sam will give you your choice of career field schooling that you have picked. Yes that's true, " IF " (and this is the mother lode of all if's) you get out of boot camp on the date specified on your contract.
Another words if you fail any class room training, any P.T. training or if your
drill sargeant or company C.C. takes a dislike to you, you can be sent back to day one of basic training. Your what the Navy refers to as ASSMOWED. What that means to you is that you are now screwed. Your contract for school is nil and void. However your enlistment papers are still active. The military can now put you where they want you, for as long as your enlistment states. Was that four, six or ten years?
If your a marine or army enlistee that means your now a ground pounder dog face G.I. Joe grunt. In other words hello Iraq, good-bye to your ***.
If your in the Navy, or Coast Guard, you are now a deck ape boatswainsmate chipping rust & painting, and polishing brass.
If your in the Air Force well that usually means your pop rivet king working
sheet metal patches.
Oh did I mention that the ASSMOWED rate in boot camps is around thirty percent? Then another twenty percent flunk out of school. If you flunk out of your career field school your also screwed.
Now let's talk about the Army and Marines. They got this bad habit of falling
out every morning and running three to five miles before breakfast. If you like keeping fit that's okay. Personally I enjoy sleeping in the extra hour. Then the Army. Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard all have what's known as collatoral duties. What's that you asked? Well they include watch details, special other duties, such as Damage Control,fire parties, digging ditches, foxholes, k.p., and any other back breaking work they can lay on you besides (if your lucky and do graduate from career field school) your normal duties in your career field.
Have you got problems living with slobs, thieves, racial prejuidices, and now
sexual prejuidices? Well you better get over them fast, because the military
has a zero tolerance to your problems, and encourages these behavioral
patterns. How? Well during boot camp you'll live in open bay barracks. That means forty to eighty guys in one room. What you leave out of your locker is for the taking.
Personnal hygeine is taught in class. That class is usually about two to three days into boot camp. So you get to smell some of these aromatic wonders for a few days. If your offended by racial slurs there is good news. The old standards are banned in the military. However new creative slurs that the military hasn't caught on to yet aren't banned. Then you got the new gay rights in the military. So if I haven't convinced you yet to don't sign, or RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then I wish you luck, cause brother your going to need it!
I did twenty years in the military and like I said, you can take this as gospel. Now you've been warned, and now you know the rest of the story.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Good points Mike... although when I see young adults floundering around without direction, I wonder why they don't join the military, because even in your worst case scenario of not getting the job they promised you, at least your moving forward in life by showing future empoyers that you can handle commitment and responsibilities, and at 4 years your able to re-evaluate if the military is your thing or not. If not, you now have some college assistance and something to put on your resume. If you decide to stay in, you often have the option to retrain into a career you find more interesting, you still have college assistance, rewarding travel opportunities and experiences. If you serve for 20 years, you have job skills and leadership experience to bring to a new job since your now only 37 or 38 years old, and the monthly check deposited into you bank account for the rest of your life is nice. If I had to do it all over again, I still would signed up.

Last edited:

1badchicken

Feb 23, 2011
Austin Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Cali
I say waking up early is a cheap price for freedom
Good points but I would say the military is more forgiving than the civilian workforce
:)

OP
Mike Blaylock

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
The only thing forgiving in the military is..........Hmmm?.........I don't think there is anything forgiving..........it's all demanding. That's why they have a chain of command.......to enforce their rules.....so that the military can function.........otherwise..........it be like the rest of the government run things...........which is............SNAFU.

Also........by the time you do twenty years active in the military.........you deserve every penny of your pension because you've earned it.........and you'll need the money because in todays civilian work force......all companies are looking for untrained college grads with no habits good or bad.......so that they can mold them into the corporate non-thinking clones that they desire.
Military personnel are taught the bad habits of survival and thinking on their own......and most of the time.......outside the box. Sooooooo, unless your really lucky and can nab a job at a defense contractor.......your SOL.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online