I am worried for great danes puppies everywhere

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Just saw an article warning people who go see Marmaduke and want to run out and get a great dane after about what it really means to have a great dane. Makes me so sad because I know people really do that, just like they did with the EB after Rob & Big came out. It's still sad everytime that happens like with labs when Marley & Me came out and with chihuahuas when "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" came out. But with great danes and English Bulldogs it seems so much sadder to me because there are really only a limited amount of people out there that are willing and able to give those 2 breeds the care they need. As much as a bulldog freak I am I hate seeing them so popular because I know most people shouldn't have one :( So again all I can say is I feel really bad for all those great dane puppies out there who may end up in a home with owners that have NO idea what they are getting themselves into. I hate seeing people not treating dog ownership like its not a big decision that should take serious thought and consideration.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
You are so correct about this, I never even thought about how that movie will promote great Danes and how it will more than likely put a lot of them in rescues down the road. I am definately going to share this on facebook, it is definately something that the word should be spread about. Everyone share this topic. Please! I am also going to find a good site that tells more about the breed so people can do their homework before buying one.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
very true, thanks for posting this as a reminder to us, of course we all have studied our breeds before buying them. There are too many people out there who just get dogs and then decide they cant handle them and pass them along. I dont understand it or have compassion for it. So sad.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I was so worried about this while watching the movie. I have always wanted a Great Dane because of scooby doo BUT I know they are not the breed for our family lifestyle. They are manageable small but man those boys get huge and when a family can't handle them, the rescues get inundated with them. Hopefully Great Dane breeders are a little more selective right now. We studied and researched four breeds before choosing the English Bulldog for nearly a month before taking the next step. The novelty wears off quick for most.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
I totally agree we have had danes for many years. LOVE them. They fit right in with are family.. But yes some people do just rush out a get them because its the new fad.. Makes me sick.. But then you have rescues that have pups all the time and charge 500 to 1500 adoption fee they are
just in it for the money...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.