helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We do a lot of cruises, mostly transatlantic and Mediterranean. We use a cruise line known for its excellent food. One of the things I love the most is that at every port they locally source the fish they serve those nights. Itā€™s often a fish Iā€™ve never tried before, like Black Cobia or Spanish Mackrel. Itā€™s never coated or fried, but topped with some fantastic ingenious fresh sauces or things like a citrus salsa. Theyā€™re heart friendly, delicious and sourcing locally helps local fishing.

We have a lot of local fish here on the west coast of Florida and a lot of locals make their living as commercial fishers. Itā€™s become very difficult of independent commercial fishermen to make a decent living. The price of fuel is high, boat maintenance and upkeep are high, commercial licenses quite expensive and sometimes they have to go far out in the Gulf for decent catches. The most popular fish here are Grouper, Snapper and Red Fish. Each is now over $20/pound. My favorite is Red Snapper that I serve with a citrus salsa. Itā€™s to die for. Hereā€™ a photo of one I recently did. It was a gift from next door neighbor who has a big deep sea boat.

d54eed48e9bf09bb474091f0582566de.jpg
5ee2e14c3d0f163d1fd5d0fac3d8ddea.jpg
a67be3652e317938c71ea06a1079a5ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I would eat. I only eat "Wild caught". Never farmed. Just dont trust farmed. One fish I love is sword fish. Nice n meaty.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I know in Ontario they sell Skate wing. They sell and serve it in restaurants in UK. Do they sell it In Alberta? No one here in the US has even heard of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...l-and-popular-why-arent-we-eating-more-of-it/

Ive cross Canada numerous times. I would have to say Alberta has absolutely Jack Crap as food. They really do not know what real food is aside from steaks. Idk how to explain it here. Ive been to numerous restaurants in Alberta and NO, just tasteless. For the past 8yrs, I will have to say there is NOT one restaurant I liked. Probably why my sauces are are big sellers in Alberta cause they are tasting real food. Lolll I will have to remember Skate Wing as im intrigued now. I love fish. I love real food. And a good red wine lolll Thanks for the links great info!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ive cross Canada numerous times. I would have to say Alberta has absolutely Jack Crap as food. They really do not know what real food is aside from steaks. Idk how to explain it here. Ive been to numerous restaurants in Alberta and NO, just tasteless. For the past 8yrs, I will have to say there is NOT one restaurant I liked. Probably why my sauces are are big sellers in Alberta cause they are tasting real food. Lolll I will have to remember Skate Wing as im intrigued now. I love fish. I love real food. And a good red wine lolll Thanks for the links great info!

I think good fish restaurants exist only in seaside towns and villages. There people know how to cook fish. In other places they deep fry it or smother with cheese. And you know why? Because of Another problem with fish - freshness. They have to conceal fishy smell, because I mean, if you fished yourself, and bbq-ed fish that was in the water an hour ago, well...fish from the shop in continental cities...stinks:ashamed:

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I think good fish restaurants exist only in seaside towns and villages. There people know how to cook fish. In other places they deep fry it or smother with cheese. And you know why? Because of Another problem with fish - freshness. They have to conceal fishy smell, because I mean, if you fished yourself, and bbq-ed fish that was in the water an hour ago, well...fish from the shop in continental cities...stinks:ashamed:

When I was living in Vancouver, British Columbia, I was 5 mins from the ocean. I would drive to a place call Richmond. There's an old"cannery" they turned into a museum. 100yrs ago Japanese immigranted to Richmond to fish n can. To this day you still have a couple old boats n some Japanese elders goes out every morning to fish shrimps. You walk on the dock to buy your fresh shrimps and you can pitstop to any restaurant or bistro to eat fish. Cant get any fresher than that.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Here we can go to the docks and we have quite a few to choose from. I am originally from New England and grew up on seafood. Then, we moved to Wasaga Beach and Collingwood Ontario on beautiful Georgian Bay. Gorgeous northern fish from lakes and rivers.
Our Florida fish is different, but equally as delicious. We canā€™t get Cod or Halibut fresh caught her, but the fish monger can get it frozen and itā€™s good. I do miss cold water lobster...sigh.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Here we can go to the docks and we have quite a few to choose from. I am originally from New England and grew up on seafood. Then, we moved to Wasaga Beach and Collingwood Ontario on beautiful Georgian Bay. Gorgeous northern fish from lakes and rivers.
Our Florida fish is different, but equally as delicious. We canā€™t get Cod or Halibut fresh caught her, but the fish monger can get it frozen and itā€™s good. I do miss cold water lobster...sigh.

Yes, Quebec, Ontario n BC has the most beautiful lakes on the planet. Farmed salmon in Torfino BC that just got caught throwing pesticides in the ocean. It's a base giant fish plant from Norwegian are going to get the slap behind the head.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.