May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Food Safety News

CDC: Outbreak bacteria traced to Petland is antibiotic resistant

Year-long Campylobacter outbreak picks up speed; CDC warns public about infected puppies

By Coral Beach | October 3, 2017
Petland-outbreak-10-03-17.jpg
With the victim count having jumped 40 percent in the past three weeks, the CDC has nothing but bad news to report today on a multi-state Campylobacter outbreak traced to Petland puppies ā€“ the outbreak strains are antibiotic resistant.
Since its initial outbreak announcement on Sept. 11, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has received lab confirmation of 16 more victims across five new states. That brings the outbreak totals to 55 people in a dozen states, with a fourth of them requiring hospitalization. No deaths have been reported.
ā€œClinical samples from people and puppies sickened in this outbreak appear to be resistant to commonly recommended, first-line antibiotics. This means infections with the outbreak strain may not respond well to oral antibiotics usually prescribed to treat Campylobacter infections,ā€ according to the outbreak update from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Nine out of 10 of the infected people, 49 of the 55 victims, either had contact with puppies from a Petland store or are Petland employees.
Anyone who has had contact with Petland puppies in the chainā€™s stores, homes or elsewhere is urged to seek medical attention if they have developed symptoms of Campylobacter infection. Symptoms can include diarrhea that is often bloody, fever, stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting.
Petland-campylobacter-outbreak-map-10-03-17.jpg
State health officials and the CDC report outbreak victims in 12 states: Florida, Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
Other details from the CDCā€™s update today include:

• The most recent illness began on Sept. 12.
  • Ill people range in age from less than 1 year to 86 years, with a median age of 23 years with 13 having been hospitalized.
  • Whole genome sequencing showed samples of Campylobacterisolated from stool of puppies sold through Petland had the same DNA fingerprints as samplesisolated from ill people in multiple states.
Looking forward
The CDC anticipates additional victims. There is a gap of at least two weeks between the time a person becomes ill and when they are added to the outbreak list because of lab tests and reporting procedures.
Also, Petland customers likely still have puppies in their homes that are carrying the bacteria or are infected.
ā€œCampylobacter can spread through contact with dog poop. It usually does not spread from one person to another,ā€ the CDC reports. ā€œHowever, activities such as changing an infected personā€™s diapers or sexual contact with an infected person can lead to infection.ā€
At least one of the confirmed victims in the ongoing outbreak did not have contact with any puppies, but did have sexual contact with a person with a confirmed illness linked to Petland.
CDC recommends that people follow these steps for protecting themselves and others while enjoying their dogs and puppies:

• Wash your hands thoroughly after touching dogs, their poop, or their food. Take extra care that children playing with puppies also wash their hands carefully.
  • Pick up and dispose of dog poop, especially in areas where children might play.
  • Contact your veterinarian if you notice any signs of illness in your puppy or dog.
Petlandā€™s response
The CDC update says Petland officials are cooperating with the outbreak investigators. The pet store chain has not expressed the same sentiment in regard to the CDC.
As of 6 p.m. EDT today, Petland had not posted any new outbreak information on its company website. In its most recent statement, posted Sept. 13, the chain storeā€™s officials said they would be doing more to help, but the CDC wonā€™t cooperate with them.
ā€œPetland has requested but has not been given any information from the CDC or any other health department offices related to the dates, stores, or cities where the 39 infection cases allegedly originated. We have also not been provided any information or location of any employees affected,ā€ according to Petlandā€™s Sept. 13 statement.
ā€œPetland has resources ready to deploy once we are given case specific information from the CDC. The only information we have is the limited information shared with us from the CDC. Prior to the public notification from the CDC, Petland had not been contacted by any customers or employees regarding a confirmed or diagnosed human campylobacter infection after visiting a Petland store or from a Petland puppy.ā€
(To sign up for a free subscription to Food Safety News, click here.)
Ā© Food Safety News More Headlines from Consumer Education Ā»
Tags: antibiotic resistance, antibiotic-resistant bacteria, Campylobacter, Campylobacter outbreak, CDC, outbreak investigation, Petland Inc., puppies Print
Like Tweet LinkedIn Email

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
WOW!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Petland is privately owned and declare that they do not source puppies from puppy mills. Wiki says otherwise

ā€œInvestigations conducted by The Humane Society of the United States, a past and current class action lawsuit, and over 500 negative reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com suggest that Petland receives many dogs from puppy mills.ā€

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Kind of reminds me of that STD that is spreading...Chirpees...it's a canarial disease....it's untweetable.

Seriously though...this bacteria sounds like some nasty stuff. Be careful traveling with your pets especially in pet walking areas.

OP
Manydogs

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
tweety.jpg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I haven't seen dogs sold in pet stores in Toronto area for years now. They shouldn't allow pet shops to sell dogs- if anything just display dogs and cats from local animal shelters.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
No cat or dog selling in petshops here either. Only birds n rabbits. Mind you I dont visit all petshops either.

Regarding raw milk, I still say its better than the milk from government "regulations" heating it up that everything is kill in the milk. Being in the food industry, I can guarantee you there is no point drinking milk as there's nothing left in it once they have heated it. They should concentrate on all their meds with all their side affects that can kill you. Ok I will stop or I'll give y8u all an earful. :D

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.