Some Stuff. Input needed.

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Daphne's birthday was last week. She turned one. I bought her a new pink tutu, a tiara and pink lei, but all festivities were cancelled as she became ill on Friday. The first sign was she refused to eat. Yes, fat Daphne refused to touch any food. She became lethargic. Again, hard to tell lethargy from regular super calm mellow Daphneness. She began drinking copious amounts of water followed by huge vomiting of clear water with a bit of foam. This is sort of her "I ate too many lizards" behavior, but much more intense. She had spent Friday afternoon hunting 'wizards' with the three and four year d boys next door. I figured she'd be fine on Saturday as it's usually an overnight stomach thing after Lizard hunting.
Saturday, refusing food again. Also water and vomiting, almost projectile. I removed food and water. Slept most of day. First time ever, she wanted in our bed not her crate. We let her. She was pretty restless and very clingy.
Sunday the same. Monday, 8 am called Sarasota Bulldog vet recommended here on forum. She was given 9 am appt. Exam and X-rays. No blockage of any kind, everything else normal. She was given a shot of Cerenia for vomiting. She has Cerenia 60mg x 1 daily for 7 days.
The rest of the day Monday she slept. She refused food. I just let her have a small amount of water every so often. Tried hand feeding her...no go. She put herself in her own crate for bed last night.
Today she appears slightly more alert. She refused food. I let her have about 1/2 cup of water. She had her pill with a piece of cheese. She hasn't thrown up yet.
The only upside to the whole thing is that we saw the Bulldog vet and he said she was, at 44lbs, not overweight. Her hips are perfect, great bone structure, perfect eyes, breathing fine etc. Evidently when my SIL weighed her last week and said 47lbs, he did the math wrong...whew.
So any input on Daphne's present situation would be appreciated.

PS: after Oscar Mayer's recent swallowed TV remote I figured Daphne had a blockage of some sort and am very relieved there was no more blockage. But still, I have no idea what's wrong with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Did they only do X-ray to rule out blockage?
When Tyson had eaten 3 socks they did several X-rays and ultrasounds and none picked up the socks. It wasn't until we did a barium study that finally it picked up the final sock he hadn't vomited. Not saying she's blocked and hopefully it was just a bug of sorts and will be ok in a few days with meds.

Tyson also got listeria once from when he was eating raw, that was horrible and took a few days to recover.

BUT if she continues to vomit, reject food or becomes lethargic more, I'd push for barium.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When a dog has an upset belly they drink tons of water so they vomit.... is it possible she ate a lizard?

Otherwise, I agree with Jessica push for barium test of she is not any better tomorrow

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor Daphne - hope she soon feels better!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
feeling any better??

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Whatever is ruled out or ruled in, we hope Daphne is feeling better soon. We use Famotidine 10-20 mg which is an acid reducer for Jewel when she pukes but we know she suffers from empty tummy syndrome.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Wondering how [MENTION=16690]Daphne DuMaurier[/MENTION] is doing? Praying for her :pray:and also hoping it is nothing serious,although when out "kids" are sick, it is always serious.
My best to little Daphne, and better lay off the lizards!? :pray::pray::bad:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] you made me laugh at the tattoo post. Thank you...needed a laugh. My head is wrapped up around [MENTION=16690]Daphne DuMaurier[/MENTION] right now and I just cant seem to reply to other post for time being. Praying for my little gothic girl to get well very soon. Daphne, we're sending you lots of prays baby girl. You got this my little trooper!!!! :pray2::pray::pray2:

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Whatever is ruled out or ruled in, we hope Daphne is feeling better soon. We use Famotidine 10-20 mg which is an acid reducer for Jewel when she pukes but we know she suffers from empty tummy syndrome.

Just wondering how you are solving empty stomach syndrome? My dog seems to be gaining weight as I'm feeding her a bit extra to prevent the bilious vomiting when her stomach gets too empty.

HOw is Daphne doing today?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
There was a previous post about Daphne and I am really sad to say she passed away. Look for the post "Daphne".

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
There was a previous post about Daphne and I am really sad to say she passed away. Look for the post "Daphne".
Each time I see Daphne's name in here my heart is in my throat. [emoji26] so so sad.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Just wondering how you are solving empty stomach syndrome? My dog seems to be gaining weight as I'm feeding her a bit extra to prevent the bilious vomiting when her stomach gets too empty.

We feed Jewel 3 times a day with a cup of her kibble. She has good a bad days but the good far outweigh the bad. Jewel is 4 years old and on a low-fat diet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.