They are now punishing our children for being sick at our elementary school...

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
They no longer allow make up work to be done at home!!! A child must either catch up before school...OR...Stay later after schools out to make it up. A child who's been sick like my son. Deserves to come home and rest before having work shoved at him. Do they want these children to become sick again for pushing them to hard? A school day followed by a long absences due to an illness is hard on a day...but to extend it. Without a break to lay down and rest...I'm so not happy with this new rule...and they will hear it.

I mentor in the school...So if I can do that for FREE why can I not work with my son at home? To help him make up work? I'm infuriated...:angry:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Wow! I'd be furious! Not everyone has the luxury of getting their child to school early or letting them stay late either. This rule makes ZERO sense! Did they give you a reason for it? The only thing I can think is that the work isn't getting done at home (amazing how many parents really don't care that their kids do what they are supposed to), but if that was the case they should make them stay/go early when they show up without any work done. I hope you can reason with them - good luck!

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION]
Wow! I'd be furious! Not everyone has the luxury of getting their child to school early or letting them stay late either. This rule makes ZERO sense! Did they give you a reason for it? The only thing I can think is that the work isn't getting done at home (amazing how many parents really don't care that their kids do what they are supposed to), but if that was the case they should make them stay/go early when they show up without any work done. I hope you can reason with them - good luck!

I learned that the school makes extra $$$ when their attendance is full. The principal stated that it isn't fare that children get all A's...when they are not participating in the classroom. Thus...my son has a C for Class participation the one day he was absent...I was like...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! He is freakin' SICK! :angry: My child has rights...

Though his teacher did tell me...she would make sure this doesn't effect his grade average. But...I know another mother...who's son has been all A's since he's been in school. He's in second grade now...and had strep and broke his wrist...and is now down to B's in all his classes. Due to this reason. It's wrong...and I'm infuriated...but then wonder...if my son's teacher made a point to call me at home. Should I wait until they actually ask to keep him over the extended school time? Before I toss a hissy fit? For he won't be staying over...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
This concept is crazy! :down: My boys are adults so I don't even know the rules of schools now. Mine always had to make up their work at home when they missed due to being sick.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
WOW! I hope you can get that changed somehow but speaking up. They are expecting a bit too much from kids who can help being sick. I mean this is elementary school right?!?! I could maybe see in high school where ditching would be a factor but seriously?!?!?!

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]
This concept is crazy! :down: My boys are adults so I don't even know the rules of schools now. Mine always had to make up their work at home when they missed due to being sick.

That was our school policy as well...the principal just changed it recently I learned. A phone call from a concerned teacher gave me the heads up as what to expect. Our principal...I'm going to have a hard time respecting after this new rule. Punishing a child while they are sick. I was curious as to when he commented during assembly the parents that send their children to school sick. And commended them. I was like...What the :angry: So spread the germs around and share!?!

Watching to see how this plays out. If it effects my son...members in Texas may hear me roar! [I live in Ohio by the way]

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION], thanks to the no child left behind act, I doubt this will be a problem for long. Grades will drop along with test scores then the school will lose federal $ and teachers may or may not lose raises( depends on the state you live in), So it may just have to be something that plays tself out. The principal will soon learn he has shot himself in the foot.

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
@dozersmama
@cadillactaste, thanks to the no child left behind act, I doubt this will be a problem for long. Grades will drop along with test scores then the school will lose federal $ and teachers may or may not lose raises( depends on the state you live in), So it may just have to be something that plays tself out. The principal will soon learn he has shot himself in the foot.

They also get money for having a larger attendance. So I'm told...thus why this rule was put into place...as well as he doesn't feel children who are not participating...deserving of an A.

Though I'm all for him soon learning he has shot himself in the foot...

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Both my kids are in high school, and luckily they are not sick very much at all. On the occasions they have been ill, they've always done their make up work either at home or in study halls. Seems a stupid rule to make a kid stay after school if the work can be done at home!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] I am out of the loop with kids in school but I think the no kid left behind act has been left behind. When my kids were sick ('70s-80s) I would go to the school and get their assignments so they'd be caught up when they went back. [MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] I'd like to hear your roar in Oregon, too!

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
@Alice Kable
@dozersmama I am out of the loop with kids in school but I think the no kid left behind act has been left behind. When my kids were sick ('70s-80s) I would go to the school and get their assignments so they'd be caught up when they went back. @cadillactaste I'd like to hear your roar in Oregon, too!

I spoke again to his teacher...and explained how concerned we were over having children stay after school. I told her that when my kids go back to school after an illness. I make them come home and take a 20 minute nap before starting on any homework. She calmed me...and explained that she doesn't plan on doing any such thing. But that is the rule. She'll grab him during library time and such...to have him make up the work. She also said to keep him home until Monday. With him still having a fever today...slight that it was. That to be fever free he would only possibly make Friday...and no reason to send him school then. Let him eat and build up his strength...[He's still not wanting to eat...but I'm getting fluids in at least]

So no roar just yet.

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
I'm a teacher and I can totally see both sides. You would not believe how often kids miss for no reason (although some parents still call in and "excuse" them --- then the kids come back and tell us that they weren't really sick!). Also, you wouldn't believe how many kids miss school and then copy everyone else's work to catch up! At the same time, there are some kids who are legitimately sick and legitimately would catch up properly at home. Some, however, simply don't care and don't do the catch up work. It is very frustrating! I usually say that my rule is that if they miss they have to stay after school or come in at lunch to catch up, HOWEVER, if it is really obvious that they were really sick, and that they really would catch up on their own time (without cheating), then I usually just quietly make an exception. Every child and family is different and I don't want to mark something that was clearly done by someone else! Some kids, however, do have good support at home and do care about their education. These kids would take the work home; learn how to do it; and catch up without issue. I usually just make a general rule and then make exceptions when it is reasonable to do so! It sounds like you would be one of those parents who would make sure that your child caught up properly! Some parents aren't. I have actually had a parent admit to me that she did the work FOR her son. Now, if he gets sick, trust me, he'll be in after school to catch up!

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
PS - I am in Canada and things might be a bit different here --- there is no extra money coming in for full attendance, and we don't take marks off based on participation. Marks are solely based on the students' demonstration of the concepts presented. If they are sick I would not take marks off for being away. I would, however, expect the work to be made up. ( I teach high school)

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1874]DeeDee[/MENTION]
Gotcha...High School's in Canada do they not have study halls? We have them here...And also in middle school. My oldest rarely has homework even when he's been sick. They changed things around so their periods are extended...and they also have study halls.

As for the elementary...which the son in question is in...He's a fourth grader by the way. I've always taught my boys to respect the teachers...even with extra credit. I don't care if they are pulling all A's...their teacher put effort in coming up with something to offer students for extra credit. That out of respect for the teacher...they do it. I also mentor in school...which is part of a volunteer program.

Cole's teacher stated...she wasn't as concerned for him...as others in her class. But no papers are allowed to come home for a grade to be sent back in...only a check mark from her is allowed to be done at home. I honestly don't have an issue with that. But when school starts at 8:30 in the morning...and they get out at 3:15 if he rides the bus. Then...I have a problem with extended stays. Our school is the only district that starts as early as it does. Due to sending high school students to the vocational school towns away. So he's up early to catch the bus...it's just to long of a day for him...when he's on the bus for an hour before school even starts. I'm fine with his losing his library time...and such. Even recess I'm okay with. Though they are NOT allowed to take their recess away. [New rule] But she eased my mind...and my feathers are no longer ruffled.

I love his teacher...she's an amazing woman.

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
See -- cadillactaste -- if all parents were like you, then the schools wouldn't have to make up ridiculous rules:) Unfortunately, some just don't do what is needed. I am glad that the teacher put your mind at ease. In Canada, all schools are different. At our school, we don't have study hall, but we do have a learning lounge, where kids are welcome to go for extra help -- but it is for early morning, after school, and at lunch. I think that some schools probably do have study hall, but not ours. The teachers are available for extra help outside of class time, and we help as much as we can during class. There are also peer tutors and adult tutors in the community that parents can hire for after dinner, weekends, etc. I totally understand your concerns about it being such a long day for your little guy -- especially with that bus ride! I really think that there comes a point in the day, where they can't take in any more knowledge without a break first! I have had kids who want to stay after school for a couple of hours and I just have to say -- you won't absorb it! You've worked all day -- stay for a bit and then go take a break! The school probably just had to come up with a blanket policy, but it seems like they are able to adjust it a bit, based on the case. It is sad that some kids have to be forced to make up time after school because they just don't get the support they need at home. Your son is lucky that he has a mom who cares about him and his education. Not all kids have that. Also, if they just let them catch up during school hours, then they might just get further and further behind --- of course I am thinking like a high school teacher, which is way different than elementary! In elementary they probably spend weeks on the same topic. Whereas in high school, it's a new concept every day! I don't have kids yet, but if I did, I wouldn't want to make him/her stay after and do extra hours of work in elementary school-- they need to be kids too:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online