Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They are now punishing our children for being sick at our elementary school...

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: They are now punishing our children for being sick at our elementary school...

PS - I am in Canada and things might be a bit different here --- there is no extra money coming in for full attendance, and we don't take marks off based on participation. Marks are solely based on the students' demonstration of the concepts presented. If they are sick I would not take marks off for being away. I would, however, expect the work to be made up. ( I teach high school)
    Dee & Busters (aka Bustys)

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: They are now punishing our children for being sick at our elementary school...

@DeeDee
    Gotcha...High School's in Canada do they not have study halls? We have them here...And also in middle school. My oldest rarely has homework even when he's been sick. They changed things around so their periods are extended...and they also have study halls.

As for the elementary...which the son in question is in...He's a fourth grader by the way. I've always taught my boys to respect the teachers...even with extra credit. I don't care if they are pulling all A's...their teacher put effort in coming up with something to offer students for extra credit. That out of respect for the teacher...they do it. I also mentor in school...which is part of a volunteer program.

Cole's teacher stated...she wasn't as concerned for him...as others in her class. But no papers are allowed to come home for a grade to be sent back in...only a check mark from her is allowed to be done at home. I honestly don't have an issue with that. But when school starts at 8:30 in the morning...and they get out at 3:15 if he rides the bus. Then...I have a problem with extended stays. Our school is the only district that starts as early as it does. Due to sending high school students to the vocational school towns away. So he's up early to catch the bus...it's just to long of a day for him...when he's on the bus for an hour before school even starts. I'm fine with his losing his library time...and such. Even recess I'm okay with. Though they are NOT allowed to take their recess away. [New rule] But she eased my mind...and my feathers are no longer ruffled.

I love his teacher...she's an amazing woman.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

See -- cadillactaste -- if all parents were like you, then the schools wouldn't have to make up ridiculous rules Unfortunately, some just don't do what is needed. I am glad that the teacher put your mind at ease. In Canada, all schools are different. At our school, we don't have study hall, but we do have a learning lounge, where kids are welcome to go for extra help -- but it is for early morning, after school, and at lunch. I think that some schools probably do have study hall, but not ours. The teachers are available for extra help outside of class time, and we help as much as we can during class. There are also peer tutors and adult tutors in the community that parents can hire for after dinner, weekends, etc. I totally understand your concerns about it being such a long day for your little guy -- especially with that bus ride! I really think that there comes a point in the day, where they can't take in any more knowledge without a break first! I have had kids who want to stay after school for a couple of hours and I just have to say -- you won't absorb it! You've worked all day -- stay for a bit and then go take a break! The school probably just had to come up with a blanket policy, but it seems like they are able to adjust it a bit, based on the case. It is sad that some kids have to be forced to make up time after school because they just don't get the support they need at home. Your son is lucky that he has a mom who cares about him and his education. Not all kids have that. Also, if they just let them catch up during school hours, then they might just get further and further behind --- of course I am thinking like a high school teacher, which is way different than elementary! In elementary they probably spend weeks on the same topic. Whereas in high school, it's a new concept every day! I don't have kids yet, but if I did, I wouldn't want to make him/her stay after and do extra hours of work in elementary school-- they need to be kids too

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

@cadillactaste I'm so glad to hear your son has a teacher that genuinely cares about him and wants the best for her students! There are so many that don't understand that each child is different - and so many that just don't care.

@DeeDee I wish we had more teachers like you around here! I can see both the parent's side and the teacher's side - but there far too many teachers (that I know of personally) who want their job to be only the hours they are in the school. They certainly picked the wrong profession - and I hate that they are still in it! I don't want them ruining my child because they are lazy. (BTW our superintendent was indicted recently, so I'm a little more bitter about the schools than I would probably otherwise be.) I even see some of my "acquaintances" making comments about "sooo much lesson plans" etc. on facebook that irritate me. It's sad how lazy people can be. Maybe I'll move to Canada so you can teach my kids.
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Dionne Iachetta
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Busters
    Likes (Received)

ha ha @Chunksmama -- you can move to Canada and I will teach your kids and you can help me with all of my problems with Busters In all seriousness, though, teaching is a lot of work. Much more so than people realize. Much more so than I realized before I chose to go into it But I do enjoy it. It is def not a job that is 9 - 5! Most people do their work while they are at work....whereas we can't do any of our own work during the actual work day. It all happens on our own time because during the workday -- we are teaching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads