Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Completely unrelated to this event, my Vet has a very cute Pitbull named Willie. He's an absolute doll. But, many are not.

I have to agree with Kerry Dougherty, most dogs are not bred with such a high prey drive and the ability to break bones, shred meat, and KILL. If a nationwide ban were to come about(or a state or local one), would it include AmStaphs, American Bulldogs, Cane Corsos, or any other breed that has similar looks to a Pit? Truly a sad, ugly event.

My sister read somewhere(I have yet to find it) that this dog was turned in for a previous bite, then "rehabilitated", and then re-homed. If true, that rescue group is in BIG TROUBLE. Our experience has been that dogs that have lost bite inhibition, do not gain it back, even with the most advanced training. Re-homing a known biter is a HUGE liability risk...it should never happen in rescue...for this very reason.

Woman in her 90s dies after Pit Bull attack in Virginia Beach | 13NEWSNOW.com

After fatal pit bull attack, when will we do something about this vicious breed? | Kerry Dougherty | pilotonline.com

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It's so hard to have a huge opinion on this (for me) as I too have known some of the sweetest pits... What the heck to do :( so sad..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is not the breed.. it is the owner.

I do agree.. once they lose inhibition there is no getting it back and the dog, regardless of breed, can not be rehabilitated and will need a very special home, if one at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That is the million dollar question....What can be done to vicious human being?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When ever a person was bitten (or attacked) by a dog, I always blamed the person for doing something to provoke. With the poor pitbulls, I can see the redneck mentality around here,that they just haphazardly breed,and sometimes breed the worst to the worst-all this "backyard breeding" has created monsters! Two or more people in town have been attacked walking down the sidewalk. They have outlawed Pitbulls in town,but it is rarely enforced. It also seems that after that, there are more and more Pits! There is a local site here,where you can post free ads. Instead of having dogs spayed,they keep giving the pups away.The breed has been corrupted by the humans,and alot of them are untrustworthy,and have irresponsible owners,too!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Apart from the absolutely horrendous story itself, some circumstances strike me as odd: how could a dog that needed to be controlled with an electric shock collar be adopted to a family, and how come the adoption fee was as low as $20? I wonder if the rescue group will be held responsible for selling a lethal weapon for $20?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I also think that it is the people that makes dog vicious. Dogs are not born vicious, they learn their behavior. Unfortunately, stupid people keep getting them. I have met some of the sweetest Pitbulls and always stop to pet them. And I love watching Pitbulls and Parolees. If you watch that show, you will see how wonderful this breed *can* be.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Also, having worked in a dog daycare for 4 years-- some 20lbs dogs can be worse than an 80+ pounds dog

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I also think that it is the people that makes dog vicious. Dogs are not born vicious, they learn their behavior. Unfortunately, stupid people keep getting them. I have met some of the sweetest Pitbulls and always stop to pet them. And I love watching Pitbulls and Parolees. If you watch that show, you will see how wonderful this breed *can* be.

I love that show and it has surly made me a believer in the sweetness of the dog. I have to say that I have been nervous to walk past 'some' of them just by looking at the owner.... sad

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Pitbulls and Parolees are extremely responsible people when it comes to the dogs,and who adopts them. I think is some cases people adopt them from irresponsible places(such as this poor elderly woman) because they see that show,and want one. The poor woman was totally innocent. Whomever adopted the dog out to her,should be charged with murder.If they had that collar on the dog-they knew......

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
It is not the breed.. it is the owner.

I do agree.. once they lose inhibition there is no getting it back and the dog, regardless of breed, can not be rehabilitated and will need a very special home, if one at all.

Likewise, I defer an opinion on this. Circumstances for owners differ. Just offering a perspective here. A busy lifestyle renders an owner leaving a dog in the yard. That is the more common issue than not. Is that owner an evil, evil person or simply just don't have the luxury to be with his pet compared to some. I don't think he is. Did he train that dog to be vicious? I don't think he did. Does he deserve to have an animal that he truly loves but just could not give as much attention to now?

Did that pitbull turned into a vicious dog because it lacked interaction and constant loving support from its owner, possibly.

Now, let's switch. Same scenario, will that dog turn into this vicious killing machine if that was a Labrador, a retriever or even an English bulldog being left in the yard? hmmmn. We have this Labrador in the neighborhood. He is just the sweetest animal that yearns for affection everytime I pass by. He stays in the yard looking to be touched and be petted The word is that the owner keeps him outside because he pees and have accidents in the house.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I love that show and it has surly made me a believer in the sweetness of the dog. I have to say that I have been nervous to walk past 'some' of them just by looking at the owner.... sad

A couple of years ago we went to New Orleans so visiting Villalobos was a must. It was a great experience.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMO this is an aggressive dog issue NOT a Pitbull issue, but the media LOVES to stir the pot when it comes to the breed. I know people who own Pitbulls and American Bulldogs and they honestly can NOT handle their dogs. If you decide to own these breeds you need to be able to control them and work w/them on a regular basis NOT just puppy kindergarten. I would honestly LOVE to have a German Shepard, but I don't have the time to dedicate to the breed at this time in my life. Bulldogs don't have a huge exercise need and that works for my family at the moment. Most people are selfish and don't take the time to research before they bring a dog home...

My dog trainer has told me that once a dog bites it's extremely hard to rehabilitate... REGARDLESS of the breed. She refuses to re-home any dog that can not be around children because her opinion is that you can NEVER say that your dog will never be around a child. My cousin had 2 great danes take down and kill one of his horses and the dogs were put down.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Montreal pit bull ban: registration deadline is Friday - Montreal | Globalnews.ca
Read link first then you'll get it.

As most knows Nyala has 2 pits cousins. They are absolutely friendly n not one bad bone in them. Im from Montreal and we are having a issue and this idiot Mayor that just forced pit bull owners to register them all which is OK on that part but....if you dont city has the right to euthanizing your dog!?!?!? Vets all came together n the spca that not one of them will euthanize any pit bull. Like this story, lady got attack by a pitbull and die. Yes 200% it's sad but it's not the dog the problem its whos on the other end of the leash. It's not just pit bulls, you cant pin point one race. 2 labs here in Alberta attack a woman. Labs!!!! I myself had to make the biggest decision in my life when it came time to put down my GS because he was getting more n more dangerous. Like Christine said, the little ones are the worst. They are usually the ones that starts. Pit bulls do have a bad rap because of idiot owners using them to fight and next thing you know it becomes a chain reaction and copy cat issue.

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
As is often the case, humans have screwed things up. Breeding for aggression, prey-drive, size, strength and any other attribute that is fighting ring-worthy has really messed this dog up. Pits can be as gentle as any other breed but in the wrong environment and under the control/direction of unscrupulous owners and breeders they can be killers. The dog is so powerful, quick and agile that when provoked it becomes a meat and bone shredder. Too many times when that kill switch is flipped on it cannot be turned off. I simply HATE what the dog-fighting people have done to this breed.
My firm was fortunate enough to supply the interior trim and finish work for a prominent NFL football star. I enjoyed telling people about that job and how nice the home was and a lot of particulars about the project. Now I rarely speak of it. It was Mike Vick's house. Embarassing...disappointing, infuriating, sad.
Not just anyone can own one. These dogs need to be treated like a 1000HP sports car...taken for granted they can get away from one and cause catastrophic damage.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.