I wanted to share with you a rescue story...

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Meet Bailey a 7 yrs. old Sheltie who was scheduled to be put to sleep the day I met her.
bailey3.jpg

I happened to stop at my vet office to pick up a bag of prescription dog food. And had been backing out of the parking lot when I noticed this pretty dog in the back area of the vet facility in the potty area. I've a heart for collies and Shelties due to my collie/shepherd we rescued looked like a collie for the most part. And was one of the best dogs I've ever had the privilege of knowing.

So I pulled back into the parking lot and go introduce myself and pet her dog. And tell her how pretty the dog is. The owner now in tears...says she's there to put the dog down. :eek: The dog didn't look sick. So I asked if she minded sharing with me the reason behind it. And so she explained her husband which is older than her...his child was bitten by a dog years ago. And received stitches to the face. Well while she and her daughter were in Florida visiting family. Bailey snapped at one of her husband's grandchildren. He was going out back to shoot the dog. And called her to inform her of the dogs wrong doing. And she begged him to allow her to do it humanely since it was her and her daughter's dog too. So she was doing now what she had promised to do.

I asked her if she knew she had other options...and asked her if she had considered rescue. She hadn't knew that was an option...we discussed it. Then she said...she honestly felt he might be seriously sick. He was having issues going to the bathroom and felt it might be something with his bowels. I was concerned with prostrate since my own dog was that age when we dealt with that nightmare. So I said..."Your dog is still young...rescue is known to medically care for a dog if you are willing to give up your rights to the dog. And then place it in another home. Since you can't take the dog back will you be willing to allow the dog to go into rescue if the rescue group would accept her?" She agreed...then said...But she's scheduled to go NOW to be put to sleep. I said..."Leave it to me" and headed in first...opened the door...and stated..."This dog is NOT being put to sleep today...even though it's on your schedule. You have internet someone here will google Sheltie Rescues and I'll contact them first to see if they'll accept this dog into their shelter. The first staff woman balked...and said..."I know nothing about the internet". And I volunteered to use their computer if no one would do so. But this dog was NOT being walked to the back room while I didn't give it a good fighting chance to live. So another staff member found online a number for me to call. The woman of the rescue was at work. Her husband said she could call me tonight. I explained I didn't have the time that the dog wasn't mine and it was scheduled as I spoke to be put to sleep. So he took my number and said since it was an emergency he could call her at work and they should be okay with it.

So she was accepted into the rescue with the transporter not being able to get her until later that day. So the woman agreed to take the dog back home until that time. And I left feeling good. And the vet office was left with a blank spot on their schedule and money out of their pockets.

Fast forward a bit...I do errands meet up with the husband eat...and head home and pass the same vet practice to see this same dog being WALKED down the sidewalk to the office door. :angry: I'm beyond upset...what the heck! Did this woman's husband say she couldn't put the dog in rescue. So I actually stopped dead in the road with cars behind me I was so upset...pull over and back up down the side of the road...park and run into the office. And ask..."What's going on!?!" And I've an attitude to go along with those words. Thinking the dog was going to still be put to sleep. :angry:

To learn...that the rescue was concerned over the medical issues the dog was having...contacted their vet to see if they could see her and treat her while they covered the bill. And the dog was being seen to see if it needed medical attention. PHEW~ I was relieved!

So I go home...call back to my vet's office later to learn what was going on with the dog I was able to get into rescue. To only learn...that it was confidential information. And they could only tell me the dog would be picked up by the rescue transporter Saturday. Which was a few days from then.

Still can't believe they wouldn't give me any information on the dog...So I called the rescue which their number was still on my cell from the call earlier that day. To learn...Bailey was a healthy but a lil' over weight 7 yr. old sheltie...who didn't have any medical issues with her bowels. But was in need of a bad grooming job. For it's back end was matted so the dog's poop couldn't reach the ground. The verdict was still out on heartworm but other than that...waiting on the tests to come back. The dog was a perfectly healthy dog that was well behaved. The dog would heal on a lead...sat when told the first time...and didn't mind the dogs or cats in the waiting room office while we waited taking care of the matter of her being placed into rescue.

So two things happened that day...One Bailey's life was spared and has a second chance at a loving family home. And...the vet practice was impressed by the way the rescue handled the entire process. That if they get a dog that looks like a specific breed...which is scheduled to be put down due to an owner not having financial difficulty paying to correct a procedure or what have you. They plan on contacting a rescue prior to opting to put the dog to sleep.

YAY! So...when I switched vets...I made sure that I related this story to our new vet. In hopes of educating them as well. As their own options of calling rescue and saving a dogs life and giving them a second chance. For honestly their heart is not first to put a dog down if the dog can be spared that fate.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
That is a great story. So glad you educated them and save the dog.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wonderful story! Bless you for doing such a wonderful deed too, you as well deserve some props!! An all out wonderful day for the rescues doing what they do, and most of all educating people!!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Such a GREAT story than kyou for saving that pup and teaching them to save as many as possible. Also thank you for sharing the story I LOVE it!

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
wonderful! kudos to you and your big :heart:! after reading this it makes me realize that not everyone knows all options and does MORE to find 'a better solution' to problems. :( your story sounds JUST like something i would do. i think it's my nature to have this addition sense in my surroundings and go above and beyond.

i guess i'm a little naive and shocked that a vet would just euthanize a dog because someone wanted it done. doesn't there HAVE to be a medical reason?!? :ohmy:

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=1717]Momma2Bullet[/MENTION]
wonderful! kudos to you and your big :heart:! after reading this it makes me realize that not everyone knows all options and does MORE to find 'a better solution' to problems. :( your story sounds JUST like something i would do. i think it's my nature to have this addition sense in my surroundings and go above and beyond.

i guess i'm a little naive and shocked that a vet would just euthanize a dog because someone wanted it done. doesn't there HAVE to be a medical reason?!? :ohmy:

I live in a small town...where the rescue organizations aren't located. Thus they needed to bring in their transporter to do a pick up. So we don't see any fund raisers here with the rescue to be further educated people. Shoot to buy a birthday gift one needs to drive an hour away to find a decent gift...but wouldn't I trade where I live...Absolutely not! People still rush to open doors in our small home town for a person. They just need further educated is all...had it not been for the internet...and my knowledge of this other organization with the bulldogs. That dog would have been put to sleep that day. So it's Educate...Educate...Educate and get the word out of what Rescue Organizations actually do! If one but has the basic knowledge of what a rescue does. They don't necessary have to be affiliated with any group to educate a person of their options. But if one can educate their vet...That's a HUGE stepping stone! For they are the ones who can save several lives by being the one who makes contact with rescue...when situations walk through there door that break their heart...having the option for rescue verses putting a dog to sleep. Honestly some vets just are not aware of this. So please this post was to reach out and hopefully give ones encouragement to speak to their own vets about what rescue organizations dog. If the dog looks like a specific breed. Then typically there is a rescue organization out there for it. And with the internet there is no reason why these dogs don't get their second chance at life.

And sadly...yeah dogs are put to death for no good reason...As this dog was about to be that day. Thus when I go in to visit our vet for a check up with the pups...I always put in a word about rescue. I'm not affiliated with any. I know we have one rescue that does take in dogs that are NOT a registered breed. Goes to the pound and takes in dogs on deaths door that they feel can be homed. My neighbor is affiliated with that group. I also know two towns over there is a Border Collie group. They will also take in Australian Shepherds and mixed breeds as long as they resemble a collie some what. For I was able to place an Aussie into a home from seeing it mentioned online. :) The couple pick up their children at school. So their in the "Mommy Line" waiting for the walkers to be dismissed. And always comment on Ahsoka when I do take her with me. And when I mentioned one being in the rescue two towns over. They told their parents about the dog. And their parents went and checked the dog out. And then later since they had made first contact about the dog. And passed the paperwork as well home inspection. Was able to bring the dog home after the dog finished up his assessments.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
You were put in the right spot at the right time, what a great blessing you are for what you did. Education is the key to everything.

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]
You were put in the right spot at the right time, what a great blessing you are for what you did. Education is the key to everything.

Thank you.

To be there when she was walking the dog up the sidewalk that second trip to the vet...answer to prayer. I hadn't grabbed a photo with our first meeting. And was depressed that it had slipped my mind. To see that dog a second time to grab a photo...answer to my lil' prayer.

But I agree when one has the opportunity to educate...that's the way to go.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.