This thing in Japan are getting even scarrier...My heart and prayer go out to them

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Goodness I see where now they are evacuating US citizens. I feel sorry for the ones who can't get out.

I was so caught up in the news...I forgot I purchased something for my son off of Ebay from Tokyo, Japan...The seller said that due to the earthquake and what followed after. That shipping is definitely slower. I told him that though I paid for 5 day shipping I was not holding to that short of delivery. That when it arrived...it did. I didn't even need it until May 23rd.

Then I seen read the article on Yahoo about evacuating the US citizens from Japan. Due to radiation exposure. Please forgive me...I'm ignorant on exposure to radiation on items. Can one be exposed if a toy came in contact with it? I am thinking no...since you wear those weighted things when you get x-rays...But this is an item he'll carry around and sleep with. So...as a mom it brought up my concern for his health.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would think no also but I have no actual clue really. It is very scary and so sad for the 180 or so that are working at the nuclear plant trying to keep it from having a total meltdown. They know they will die but have to try and save everyone else. :( Lets hope their efforts arent in vain and they are able to stop it from overheating any more than it is now.

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I think I read they removed the workers or were planning on to...In my research as to dangers of Radiation on items exposed. But honestly...the more I think of it. X-ray rooms have items in it. That staff touch daily.

It is so sad...and heroic of the people trying to get this plant from having an entire meltdown.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You may want to call the fire dept and ask their opinion, they would know I am sure. You would think it would have dissipated but why risk it, I would ask.
I know they evacuated most workers but there are what they are calling the fukushima 50 which is really like 100+ workers (cant remember the exact number) of firemen, nuclear power plant people etc all trying to keep it under control there. I guess their suits cant protect them at the levels the radiation is right now and they know it but have to try to keep it from blowing completely. They are doing 15 minute intervals each trying to keep it cooled. (what I heard anyhow)

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] It's just a small pinpoint on the Japan map that is currently affected, something like 12 miles around the plant, and it is really low levels. All the media hype is about the potential of a melt down that would make this much larger... but as far as the toy is concerned, it doesn't have to worry about that, it is already out of there.

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
[MENTION=410]Telly03[/MENTION]
[MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION] It's just a small pinpoint on the Japan map that is currently affected, something like 12 miles around the plant, and it is really low levels. All the media hype is about the potential of a melt down that would make this much larger... but as far as the toy is concerned, it doesn't have to worry about that, it is already out of there.

Gotcha...I'm not actually sure where the seller is actually pinpointed in the mix of the entire situation. And frankly in the big picture of things. Is not really mentioning it's just a toy. When they are suffering so much. [ But...It hasn't yet to been shipped...So it's still there in the mix of things.] We paid more than it was worth...it is a rare Pokemon Plush that you can't find and the only thing my son has asked for over the past few months leading up to his birthday. The toy isn't worth what we paid for it to resell it and I would never do that. But...the price of being a "super mom" in his eyes PRICELESS to what we actually paid. I just would hate to toss the amount we have in it...which is Embarrassing that my husband even clicked the "BUY IT NOW" after seeing what the seller was asking for it. Into the trash once it arrived. But I would if it meant exposing my son to anything dangerous.

L

Lucy-licious

I would think that if the authorities thought there was a risk of radiation contamination on anything being shipped from japan There would be a freeze placed on shipping. Or you would certainly hope here would be anyway.

[MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION]...As for the overpriced pokemon :lol: 11 years ago I paid £48 on ebay for a single pokemon card "Charezard"
WHY? Because my son was desperate to own it and had been collecting the cards for 2 years with no luck.
Was it worth it? The beaming smile and sheer excitement on his face when he opened that golden envelope that said "precious cargo do not rip" momentarily I was mum of the century!!
:D hell yeah it was worth every penny :D

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
Radiation levels are at .32 at the seller's home. He is 124 miles from the nuclear plant. I spoke to my husband...then his brother who's in the military. And they both agree it's not worth risking. So...I told the seller to just disregard our transaction...and to keep the money and that I would keep them in our prayers. As well as leave positive feed back.

Just not worth the risk...

OP
cadillactaste

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I guess I shouldn't be surprised...the seller refunded me my money even after I told them to keep it and left positive feedback. When you take a look at how they handled this crisis in their country. And never a looter to be seen. Honest...even though I wanted this seller to keep the money they politely refused and left me positive feedback as well.

Now...Since the money was to be given away...I can donate it to my aussie pup's liter mate's surgery he's having this Wednesday. Since it was already money out of my pocket...might as well leave it that way.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online