Friend of a friend is offering us his Boxer puppy.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
He adopted his bulldog from Kijiji for free and now is seeking new owners to take him because there are too many dogs in his house. One of them just had a litter so I can imagine there's a lot of stress in the household.

Feel bad because:
1) I'm hesitating to bring him in. I read that they can be really energetic and we chose EBs because of a (sorta) lack thereof. If he were an EB then I wouldn't even think twice of taking him.
2) Being a Rescue Admin here, I'm quite sensitive about the topic now. It breaks my heart that he's jumping from home to home.

Don't think he's in any danger or neglect currently. But I somehow feel that I need to take ownership of finding him a great forever home.

What would you guys do in my place?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am the wrong person to ask because I seem to be the one who would snatch up any dog quickly that needs it. Boxers are high energy but so dang cute. Do you know anyone personally who may be interested in him? Maybe you could take him until you find him a good forever home?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Boxers are great dogs but have a ton of energy! If you take this pup you need to be prepared to committ to taking a long walk with this pup everyday "They are extremely athletic, sometimes even in their old age. This dog needs to go on a daily pack walk. Daily mental and physical exercise is paramount. Without it, the Boxer will become high strung." With that considered, if it were ME I wouldn't take the pup. I like you chose a bully because I didn't want a high energy dog. Thats just me though. If you decide not to take the pup I'd say because it's still a puppy I am sure there are alot of people out there that would love to take him, a boxer would be great for an active family, someone who jogs daily and wants a jogging partner, etc.

L

Lucy-licious

I wouldnt take on a Boxer they have way tooo much bounce for me. If you feel you can help find him a forever home can you do so while he stays where he is?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You are asking what I would do so I'll tell you.... DECLINE. Why?1. Because I only want an English Bulldog. 2. you don't sound like you do either. 3. I don't see that you are obligated to take it. 4. you have connections so ask around but don't take it if you don't want it.

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
I love the boxer face and have purchased a pup before. [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] gave you the perfect explanation! I thought it was just Duchess' puppy stage but even after a year old she was still a maniac. We are definately not as active of a family as she needed. We took her walking, etc, but as bad as this sounds, we had to rehome her. Luckily enough my friend who runs and hikes often took her and its been great for the both of them. I would say if you want a laid back dog then NO dont do it, because they are totally high strung

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I agree with all of the above. Boxers need a very active family with kids that play outside. I know I could not take a dog to house while looking for a forever home because I bond too fast. Just help find the Boxer a home!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would pass and this is why---My friend has a 3 yr. old boxer, VERY VERY active dog not a pup who is even more active, I have always wanted an EB, and so glad how laid back they are, I could never give the active life a boxer needs. I choose to take my 20 (and that is pushing it) min. walk a night and playing indoor fetch until he falls over on his side and snoozes. I think it might even be to much for Stig, Vegas about has a heart attack and stroke, just trying to keep up, when my friend stops by just for an hour. I think a boxer would be better suited as every one said, a jogger or a home that has like 8 yrs. and up children. I know it it hard, I can't even go to the pound with out wanting to bring them ALL home. But I have to consider Vegas now as well, that is why my next rescue will be another EB.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I agree with [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION], if you chose an EB because of their supposed lack of activity (reason we chose the breed ultimately) and such, I wouldn't get the boxer and only because they do require an insane amount of activity. If you have the time, yard/space, etc. to care for him properly than go for it but the fact you are even hesitant about it, may be your answer right there.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I found a beautiful Boxer wandering the neighborhood awhile back... I put him in the backyard with some water until I could find the owner. I went to check on him after a few minutes, and he was gone. I have a fairly high fence around the yard, and was amazed that he was able to go over.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I would try to help him find a suitable home for the boxer, but wouldnt take it unless I was 100% sure I was ready for a hyper puppy. You never know...maybe a friend or family member of yours would love to have a boxer.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Dont take him home because you feel guilty or oblige to do so. They are so hyper active!! They need to run, jump .explore!! Help the owners find someone qualified for this breed.There is someone out there ,right now looking for a Boxer to go home with them.Good luck!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
is there anyway you can talk to the owners about surrendering it to a Boxer rescue in the area! Or a general No Kill rescue? If you take it to find another home, make sure they know you are only a temp home.

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Great news. Just came back from Stig's training class and one of the owners who has a boxer of her own is highly interested in seeing the puppy. So now all I have to do is get a hold of the friend's friend and see if he was really serious in letting him go. Here's to hoping!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.