Has anyone given up Cable or Satellite TV?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I cancelled my cable tv today and bought a few Roku to replace it. I already had netflix and joined Sling so I could get some channels and hope that will be enough. Has anyone else done this and if so what apps worked best for you? I rarely watch tv but still want to see sports but other than that and a few tv shows which I can view on netflix and Sling i think I will be happier since it will save me around $140 per month

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We have thought about it but haven't a clue where to start. Technology is leaving us behind! We need to get our son here to sort it all out for us.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
We have thought about it but haven't a clue where to start. Technology is leaving us behind! We need to get our son here to sort it all out for us.

I think I was at work while it continued to pass me by.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
We have done it but we don't watch sports or much tv. I used to stream off of Hulu but now they make you pay for it. Most shows you can find a site to stream for free. I also borrow a relatives login to watch shows online.

We have Netflix and use it often but they aren't current. If you do want cable I have found canceling it all or just a service will let you get deals with your current or a new provider.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I'm thinking about it Netflix, amazon and sling would all cost less together then cable. [emoji854]

I have Netflix and Sling. Together with their top packages they are around $50 and I might cancel part of the Sling package after the free trial is over if I don't use it enough. I am just trying to figure out what I want right now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The b/f mentioned this but hasn't recently followed up in taking the jump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Our cable etc goes up every year (AT&T) but I call their retention dept and have always managed to get the cost down again plus this year, I got an upgrade at no extra cost. I really wish they had an 'A La Carte' menu instead of having to pay for the hundreds of channels you don't use!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Our cable etc goes up every year (AT&T) but I call their retention dept and have always managed to get the cost down again plus this year, I got an upgrade at no extra cost. I really wish they had an 'A La Carte' menu instead of having to pay for the hundreds of channels you don't use!

The pricing of cable is ridiculous here. I had to pay 239 per month just to get the channels I wanted to watch because they were only offered in the highest pkg. I now get what i want for around 100 and that includes the internet cost with Roku using Netflix and Sling

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I did this about 4 years ago for financial reasons. I have Roku as well. I love it. I have Netflix, Hulu and Acorn. Acorn has British shows. You can many many apps that are free with Roku. There is also Playstation TV which is like Sling, but I think with more to offer and there is Pluto - which I believe is like Sling.

Enjoy the freedom!!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I did this about 4 years ago for financial reasons. I have Roku as well. I love it. I have Netflix, Hulu and Acorn. Acorn has British shows. You can many many apps that are free with Roku. There is also Playstation TV which is like Sling, but I think with more to offer and there is Pluto - which I believe is like Sling.

Enjoy the freedom!!

Thanks, I will look into Playstation Vue also. I am not really sure about Sling yet

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh... I have wanted to do this, our bill it outrageous!!! We have DirecTV and AT&T and supposedly we have a great bundled package, but I have yet to see the discount... Lol I need to just see how many channels we really watch, and cut out the rest...

We use Netflix (they have great shows, but the movies are older) Amazon (Fire Stick is awesome, and having Prime we get shows for free but they are older) and we had Apple TV, but now we use the Fire Stick.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I did years ago got too expensive and the same movies over and over just watch free to air but I suppose this is irrelevant as I'm not in the USA

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I cut the cord a while back and I am saving myself a little over $100 a month. The best part is I have given up almost NOTHING when it comes to shows I watch....

Im using an Apple TV Gen 4 (new one) with Tablo and Direct TV Now. I also have a Firestick for Prime and Kodi. The Tablo is an OTA HD receiver/dvr for locals and everything else comes from the DTV Now. Like I stated above, I haven't really given up anything from my "normal viewing" since cutting my $250 cable/internet several months ago. My bill now is $75 for internet and $35 for DTV Now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online