Has anyone given up Cable or Satellite TV?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
We haven't had cable in years. We own or have owned every tech-tv-internet gadget. Right now we have a Chrome Box hooked up to our main tv and use it to stream tv, movies, sports (you can get most things for free if they aren't televised in your area) and browse the web. We also really love the Amazon FireStick and we have that hooked up to the bedroom tv. It will play Netflix, Amazon Video, cast video from your phones, etc. We also have an HD antenna for our main tv that allows us to watch cable channels, sports, and whatever is local. It was pretty cheap on Amazon. Cable is a rip off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We have very few choices here , everything is on Satellite and costly. I have recently got rid of My land phone line and now only use a cell phone for everything phone wise No Data and Canada wide coverage no long distance which also cuts off the out of Canada scam callers from the US and others love it .
As I am on satellite everything else ( which barley runs Netflix ) like My dog food bill it is a scary cost to be online , Canada needs more competition in the field BAD .

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
giving Apple TV a go before we completely give up on cable…it's a possibility! What a rip off!!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
giving Apple TV a go before we completely give up on cable…it's a possibility! What a rip off!!

I am still using Roku and one smart tv without Roku to watch tv and other than not having local stations which I only watched when I bad storm was coming in I dont regret it. I am using Netflix, Playstation Vue and ustvnow to get channels. I am an amazon prime member so I have Amazon Video also but have yet to watch one show on it. I can watch regular scheduled shows on time with the ustvnow app

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I love my tv for football . Sometimes , I will watch Dancing With The Stars depends who is on it. I followed Nyle and Peta last year . Incredible!

Other than that , not much of a tv person. I mostly listen to my radio or YouTube . I love music not picky in taste.

I recently, bought a new tv and scratch my head how to operate it lol maybe, I can listen to music from the tv lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Okay...I'm with y'all.

Got a notice that my cable company is taking off another TWO channels from preferred lineup,
Chiller & Esquire, I watch both for an occasional movie. We had Time Warner cable but is now
Spectrum, losing channels & price increases for 4 months of transition. I had already dropped
off my premium channels last year to bring my bill down to $125 (Internet & Preferred Tier) to
watch the maybe 10-12 consistent channels I watch. It's beyond ridiculous, it's thievery!

I'm done, so this is a timely thread and I will read what is working best for y'all & decide on my
options. Thanks for y'all's advice, XOXOXO

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I cut the cord a while back and I am saving myself a little over $100 a month. The best part is I have given up almost NOTHING when it comes to shows I watch....

Im using an Apple TV Gen 4 (new one) with Tablo and Direct TV Now. I also have a Firestick for Prime and Kodi. The Tablo is an OTA HD receiver/dvr for locals and everything else comes from the DTV Now. Like I stated above, I haven't really given up anything from my "normal viewing" since cutting my $250 cable/internet several months ago. My bill now is $75 for internet and $35 for DTV Now.

What is Direc TV now... is that a part of Direc TV? I seriously need cliff notes on all of this stuff... Lol

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
What is Direc TV now... is that a part of Direc TV?
Direct TV Now is Direct TV's (now owned by AT&T) answer to streaming service. Its very similar to PlayStation Vue without some of the advances like DVR and 72 hour rewind, tho this is coming sometime later this year. To me they have the best channel lineup for the money so its a no brainer. I am however grandfathered in to the introductory price since I signed up the first week of service.

If you are interested in cutting the cord or already have, DTVN is a solid option due to them being owned by AT&T. IF you have AT&T internet in your area, your streaming will not count towards your data limits as of now. BUT, there is no way of knowing how long this will continue.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Direct TV Now is Direct TV's (now owned by AT&T) answer to streaming service. Its very similar to PlayStation Vue without some of the advances like DVR and 72 hour rewind, tho this is coming sometime later this year. To me they have the best channel lineup for the money so its a no brainer. I am however grandfathered in to the introductory price since I signed up the first week of service.

If you are interested in cutting the cord or already have, DTVN is a solid option due to them being owned by AT&T. IF you have AT&T internet in your area, your streaming will not count towards your data limits as of now. BUT, there is no way of knowing how long this will continue.

WOW I'm really behind the times... we do have AT&T fiber now, I'm curious how much I would save. How long has this been available?

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
WOW I'm really behind the times... we do have AT&T fiber now, I'm curious how much I would save. How long has this been available?
Its not hard to fall behind, trust me. New devices are coming out every month it seams that are making it more and more easy to ditch cable. DirectTV Now came out first week of December last year and still in its infancy stage. Like I said above, I'm locked in at $35 a month for 100 channels. That promo is no longer offered tho. You can sign up for free trials of all these different streaming services if you want to see what they have to offer. From there you can calculat how much of a savings you will have based on the "packages" they offer. To some its a huge adjustment and to others its none at all. Just depends on your individual viewing habits and what shows you watch and when.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Its not hard to fall behind, trust me. New devices are coming out every month it seams that are making it more and more easy to ditch cable. DirectTV Now came out first week of December last year and still in its infancy stage. Like I said above, I'm locked in at $35 a month for 100 channels. That promo is no longer offered tho. You can sign up for free trials of all these different streaming services if you want to see what they have to offer. From there you can calculat how much of a savings you will have based on the "packages" they offer. To some its a huge adjustment and to others its none at all. Just depends on your individual viewing habits and what shows you watch and when.

Thank you SO much for the info... I'm going to look into it and see if we can save some cash!!!

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
I've been thinking about doing this...I mostly use my Netflix & Hulu subscriptions. The only thing I use actual cable for is The Walking Dead on Sunday nights. UGH I don't think there is any way around that....unless I wait for the whole season to end & then watch it once it moves over to Netflix. I couldn't POSSIBLY wait that long though!!! :faint::girlwalker::zombie:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Wes...Let me know how it goes please. I have really been considering getting rid of cable and all the gouging by the carriers. Almost souns like an Earl Scheib commercial..."We'll hook you up for $79.95."

Roku say 'Don't fight girl in strawberry patch or you will have a$$ in one big jam. Ro....Nagasaki.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Wes...Let me know how it goes please. I have really been considering getting rid of cable and all the gouging by the carriers. Almost souns like an Earl Scheib commercial..."We'll hook you up for $79.95."

Roku say 'Don't fight girl in strawberry patch or you will have a$$ in one big jam. Ro....Nagasaki.

So far its been good and I am paying $44 for tv service and should be around $60 for internet service. My cable bill came from last month but was pro-rated charging me for cable and equipment for part of the month. I will know what it will really be next month. I just received an email last week from the cable provider offering me tv, internet, and phone for 29 each but I know I would have to pay for cable boxes at $9.99 a piece plus taxes and would be back to $120+ per month.

I am sure people are getting the same or better than I am for cheaper but I really haven't put the time to research for cheaper services. Most the guys I have talked to at work have Amazon Firesticks which have been jailbroken and are supposedly watching any tv they want for free. I don't feel like getting caught doing that so I will just keep paying.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.