Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I grew up putting sauce on my pasta and gravy on my potatoes (actually I didn't care for gravy when I was little, but you know what I'm getting atā€¦)

What do you put on your pasta?? :cooking:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Our family always called it sauce. When I married into an Italian family-it was only called GRAVY!! I'm guessing all Italians call it gravy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
GRAVY!! Home made every Sunday. Reason is... it is meat based (veal, beef or pork)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I am a southern boy who married an Italian girl (boy did her family have fun with me when we first met ;)), so I was just like the OP. My wife calls it sauce, her Mom calls it gravy. We have close friends that are Italian too and they say it's gravy, guess growing up in eastern NC rubbed off on my wife. I really don't care either way what they call it, just as long as they call ME when it's time to eat!

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
GRAVY!! Home made every Sunday. Reason is... it is meat based (veal, beef or pork)

This thread is making me hungry. I thought marrying an Italian girl would ensure weekly pasta dinners, not so much. She said growing up that it was always a regular item on the dinner table and she kinda got burnt out on it. I'm fortunate that she is a very good cook and doesn't mind, and will make it for me and our boys if I request it and my M-I-L is always ready to feed us a pasta and gravy dinner.

I could eat it every week no problem; love it all, eggplant and gnocchi are favorites too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This thread is making me hungry. I thought marrying an Italian girl would ensure weekly pasta dinners, not so much. She said growing up that it was always a regular item on the dinner table and she kinda got burnt out on it . I'm fortunate that she is a very good cook and doesn't mind, and will make it for me and our boys if I request it and my M-I-L is always ready to feed us a pasta and gravy dinner.

I could eat it every week no problem; love it all, eggplant and gnocchi are favorites too.

Eggplant :drool: I make it all homemade too... what i do is a really big patch and then place in small containers in freezer.. pull out when wanted

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Sauce for me. Gravy is for biscuits... We make our own based upon a recipe from a mom and pop shop I ate in once.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We call it sauce, seems everything is called sauce here except for the traditional brown gravy

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Even though I came from a 100% Irish householdā€¦my mom makes an AMAZING Italian sauceā€¦however, she got the recipe from her SIL, who I believe is Italian. No sausage though, just hamburg for meatā€¦but it is SENSATIONALā€¦I could eat it plain, PNNA (pasta need not apply) :sarcastic:

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
OK!! - Now this Italian is HUNGRY, and I have Pasta and Sauce (guess my gram, didnt call it Gravy) WAITING for me at home in the Fridge. Begging to be washed down with some Wine or the such

Is it time to go home yet - HAHAHAHAHA!! :ROFL:

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Even though I came from a 100% Irish householdā€¦my mom makes an AMAZING Italian sauceā€¦however, she got the recipe from her SIL, who I believe is Italian. No sausage though, just hamburg for meatā€¦but it is SENSATIONALā€¦I could eat it plain, PNNA (pasta need not apply) :sarcastic:

OMG!! this IS SO ME - Just give me a spoon and the Jar!! - I have finally perfected my sauce, my gram always teased me for not making homemade, she would be proud!!

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
Call it whatever you want you just don't call me late to dinner [emoji6]

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
OMG!! this IS SO ME - Just give me a spoon and the Jar!! - I have finally perfected my sauce, my gram always teased me for not making homemade, she would be proud!!
We should exchange recipes!! Although, I'm kind of convinced that my mom purposely leaves "something" out when I try to make itā€¦it just never comes out quite like hers :ponder::tapfoot:

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
We should exchange recipes!! Although, I'm kind of convinced that my mom purposely leaves "something" out when I try to make itā€¦it just never comes out quite like hers :ponder::tapfoot:

We most certainly can, and the best part is, I make it in the crockpot!! :)

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
We most certainly can, and the best part is, I make it in the crockpot!! :)
So, I had THREE crockpots when we moved into our houseā€¦now I have ZERO - don't think I can blame the tornado twins for this oneā€¦but I'm thinking Hubby had something to do w/it during our yearly garage clean-out ;)

Not having a crock-pot in New England - especially during the autumn months - should be against the first few amendments!!

but you just gave me a great excuse to go buy one (or ask Santa for one) :clap::christmas36::christmas18:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.