Just not feeling it this year.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Christmas is very important to me because it is the day my Christ was born. So many years I went with no tree or decor because I couldn't afford it or because there was no one to help with such a task. This year I was determined and now with a man in the house it was so easy he was such a great help. I've had my struggles this year as well but I have no problem leaving those in the past and relishing in the blessings that are upon us now. One thing I've learned is that even through the struggles we must stay in faith and we must trust and believe - prayer works! I'm so glad I was able to decorate this year because you never know when it's your last. Nigel loves the tree and he sits and lays under it lol so long as he doesn't pee on it I'm in good shape. Karly is ok with it she didn't bark at it so we're good there too. Good tidings to all my fellow bully lovers!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Beautifully said. I feel very guilty because I know others have it so much worse. I miss my family--my in-laws, my dad and my kids. But since my mother moved up here, I feel "stuck" during the holidays. Hence my guilt--so many people who have lost beloved mothers. She lived with my sister and her husband (a true saint) for 20 years. My mother is the perfect example of an unhappy, negative, passive/aggressive personality. She has said she is free to say whatever she likes to people because of her age. She was rude to a woman in a store because she had to step to the side to let her pass in a crowded aisle. When I asked if she had any idea what was going on in the woman's life (maybe was distracted because she had a sick child at home, or a husband who was dying), she blamed her behavior on her younger sister (who was not with us), never once admitting she was out of line. Then she complained to my sister that I have no patience for her. She's right. I don't tolerate bad behavior--I don't care how old she is. She has become her mother--which is not a good thing. I've told all three of my kids that if I ever get that nasty to take me out and shoot me.

I need to try to focus on the fact that I am eternally grateful to my mother-in-law, who showed me what it is to be a gracious, loving person. She and my father-in-law were wonderful, loving parents to Bill and his brothers--and all of their wives. I shudder to think what I would have become if I had not married Bill. I miss her every day.

Your mother sounds like my grandmother... she was always miserable, and she made all of us miserable along w/her. She ALWAYS found something wrong NO matter what occasion or holiday... nobody ever wanted to visit her. AND then she would get upset because we ALL adored her mom (my great-grandmother) who had the most loving personality. She was the type who wanted to paint eggs w/the kids at Easter, while my grandmother was complaining about the mess... it's funny what you remember as a kid. I swear I hope that I don't become bitter and angry like she was...

I'm SO sorry for you Chris, because you have to live w/that behavior in your home... I pray that you are able to find some peace this holiday. And OF COURSE there is always WINE :drink:

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
This time of year is very special. I got Miss Porkchop for my Christmas and birthday. She's the BEST gift ever ! Already three years together and more to come.

Look forward to a new year 2017 sounds like a great year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Mabel you look so Precious as a Grinch. You are a Sweetie Pie Honey, love your red Rudolph Nose. Christine, Your tree is Beautiful, I Love It. My husband and I do not decorate anymore, we lived in the Mountains for the past 10 years and no one would see the decorations, but of course we would, just did not want to put them up. Now we live way back from the road, and still no one could enjoy or see them. This year has been pretty bad, a lot of emergency visits to the hospital for one thing or other, and 2months ago My Daughter age 43 was diagnosed with stage IV cancer, she had it on her cervix and uterus, it was removed, but a lump came back close to her navel inside of her at a 9mm, it was cancer again. I am so upset and hardly can eat, or sleep. The oncologist said it the chemo she is taking (started on 12/21/16) does not work she has 1 year at the most. Please Pray for My Tami she is my youngest, I have another Daughter who is 47. It has been a bad year for us. Christmas is Jesus Birthday, this makes me Happy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Mabel you look so Precious as a Grinch. You are a Sweetie Pie Honey, love your red Rudolph Nose. Christine, Your tree is Beautiful, I Love It. My husband and I do not decorate anymore, we lived in the Mountains for the past 10 years and no one would see the decorations, but of course we would, just did not want to put them up. Now we live way back from the road, and still no one could enjoy or see them. This year has been pretty bad, a lot of emergency visits to the hospital for one thing or other, and 2months ago My Daughter age 43 was diagnosed with stage IV cancer, she had it on her cervix and uterus, it was removed, but a lump came back close to her navel inside of her at a 9mm, it was cancer again. I am so upset and hardly can eat, or sleep. The oncologist said it the chemo she is taking (started on 12/21/16) does not work she has 1 year at the most. Please Pray for My Tami she is my youngest, I have another Daughter who is 47. It has been a bad year for us. Christmas is Jesus Birthday, this makes me Happy.

Susan, I am sending prayers and hugs to you all. Going to keep your daughter on my prayer list.

As for decorations... do it for YOU, who cares if someone else is seeing it, makes me smile each night when I turn on the lights.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I think everyone is feeling the same way for some reason 2016 was the most insane, messed up year. I think the horrible election took it out of everyone also. I didn't decorate, except for my grinch outside and usually I am compared to a griswold, I will decorate like crazy.
We decided this year to buy presents for the little boy and his family that Brian mentors. It was so much more fulfilling and we had such a great time shopping. Ive been dealing with Ruthie and all her issues I haven't had time to worry about anything else.
I truly feel 2017 is going to be an incredible year, I feel God moving and doing some amazing things, at least in our lives. I wish I could share the doors closed and doors that have opened in the past few weeks. I'm so ready to move forward!
Enjoy Christmas for the birth of Jesus and how incredibly blessed we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well yesterday I took off work to go get my driver's license renewed, passport pictures taken, and getting a new military ID. We also stopped at a mall and man on man talk about it being commercialized...there was merchandize literally falling out of just about every store except for the jewelry store. I did stop by to check out the Santa Claus display. Nothing like the movie "Miracle on 34th Street" but it was just as close. The young ladies dressed in skimpy elves' costumes herding the kids onto Santa's lap and the jolly fellow asking the young tikes what they want. I was quite amazed that Santa Clause was talking to one of the kids but the kid did not answer. Santa then began question in Spanish and that got a response out of the youngin'. A picture taken and the parents were so proud that there kid was able to talk to Santa. Come on please. Even the elves were surprised by this and one of the elves whispered something to Santa which surprised Santa and gave him a smile and a twinkle in his eye. I could not hear what was said because it was a whisper but I can imagine something good because of the aforementioned body language of the jolly fellow (I guess that the elf told Santa he would get a lap dance). There was another little girl herded up onto Santa's lap and was asked by the jolly fellow, "what do you want for Christmas little girl?" The little girl replies, " I want a Barbie and a GI Joe." Santa replied, "but Ken comes with Barbie." And the little girl responded, "no, Barbie on comes with GI JOE!" Go figure...out of the mouths of babes. Sounded sexual in nature to me and the little girl's mother's face said it all with a new shade of red I have not seen before.

So I can be a Scrooge with you all as I have been over the years because of all the commercialization of the season. I do love to eat and be merry. I will have some Prime Rib for dinner and then relax have a cigar and drink some Scotch. Have a Merry Christmas anyway...--rj

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I hear you.... let's welcome year 2017 and hope it brings a bit more joy for all of us. Flake-i-ful.jpg

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
No matter what is happening in my life I always light the place up. I have lights in every tree outside around the house of every color. I have lights strung in the rooms and down the hallway; some of them stay up year round. Lights make me happy so I get as many as possible to kick in the endorphins. I shake a martini.....or two.....or three....lol...... and walk around outside and admire my lights. I live on a dirt road so not too many people pass by but the lights in the dark almost dance. Its like my personnel wonderland; I don't think I will ever change because of the happiness I see in those lights; it just drowns the darkness of hurtful things. So, my best to everyone, my prayers are with all who are going through difficult times, and even though it isn't what many want to hear......Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

P.S I also have a tree but not for the same reasons; I take pleasure is seeing Amber tear up the gifts and the two cats climb the tree. I get a real tree just so they will enjoy it; the Maine Coon (Search) steals the stuffed animals off the low branches (I put them there just for him to steal daily). Its great entertainment; better than any movie playing.

Last edited:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse

Susan I am so sorry to be reading this about your daughter and I will pray you all get through this and she recovers.

Yes you need to decorate for yourself and enjoy Christmas brings a little bit of joy to us all

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I hope that everyone going through tough times will find the coming new year better, much better.
This time of year I try to push aside anything unpleasant and focus on what makes me(and those around me) happy. It's worked well so far even though I have to work a little harder some years. I feel lucky that this year has been easier.
Merry Christmas to all my EBN friends!!!
:christmas23:

And for those that are wondering...

Yes, a 35 lb bulldog can pull a 110 lb kid on a sled

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.