ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I have been doing a lot of research into my dad's ancestors. My dad was born in Walkerville, Ontario and had started tracing his family's history with his cousin Bill Wilcox in Windsor. They had some questions about one of his ancestor's line and couldn't prove the connection to a soldier in the American Revolution. But they had their suspicions. My dad told me if we were able to find the proof, I would be eligible for membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). So how did my family end up in Canada?

On a whim last year, I contacted the genealogist from the United Empire Loyalist Association of Canada (UELAC) to ask if they could help me make the connection. Their genealogist ended up being a distant cousin! He helped me find the proofs I needed to fill in the gaps in my dad's research.

I got a phone call from my newly-found cousin in Windsor last night. The UELAC has approved my application, and verified that I am a descendant of the Loyalist who fought for the British as a combatant in Butler's Rangers. My ancestors lost everything the family had owned in Rhode Island for 200 years before the revolution. My cousin told me I am a direct descendant of as many as 7 Loyalists! Learning about the Loyalists has kind of consumed me and I want to learn more. When we were growing up, we weren't taught much about the "losing side." Their history is horrible.

Unfortunately, both my dad and his cousin are both gone. I wish I could share the information with them. Here's to you, dad! :cheers2:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Very cool. I dabble in it but i have an uncle that has done extensive research on my fathers side of the family.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My (mother's sister)wanted to join the DAR, so she researched all the way back to the 1400's in mother's family!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Chris, My wife is DAR and does a lot of geneology research. On my father side, my ancestors landed in New Haven, CT in 1647 from England. I do believe I am a SAR but have some more digging to do. They went west an lived in up state New York. We are going, one day, to the historical society in the county where my ancestors lived and see what we can find out.

My wife uses a program Roots something or another but is very nose to the grind stone. I told her she ought to open her own business as she loves a good history hunt.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That is very interesting! I know my ancestors from my grandfathers side until about 1500 and it's very interesting read. There is not much details left of most of them and unfortunately no major tsar's. My family had a farm in the part of Finland called Kareila that was lost to Russia in the last war. They had to more and leave everything behind.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is super cool... I know on my mother's side they traced the ancestors back to the Mayflower, but on Dad's side I have NO idea. He was the youngest of 6 and was almost 40 when I was born... and as far as I know NOBODY in the family has started any research.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Isn't it amazing what we learn in life?!?! I majored in History n Geography love it love it love it!!! I've worked 20yrs in the education field and when I was going to school you are right Chris, Canada was British back then as it belonged to the Queen of England. Why we were always the first there with the British. Anyway all this to say you're on the right track. Kodo my Canadian blood descendant friend lolll

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
That is super cool... I know on my mother's side they traced the ancestors back to the Mayflower, but on Dad's side I have NO idea. He was the youngest of 6 and was almost 40 when I was born... and as far as I know NOBODY in the family has started any research.

For [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] it would be Noah's Arch! :w00t: :yes:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh @rjisaterp How I have missed you! My gun won't fire that far!!:guns: If you will re-read your post, I knew Noah, and he did not have an arch-he had flat feet,too much time wearing sandals!then he boarded the ARK!!!!!:ROFL:Silly Roger!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That is so freakin awesome.... I've often wanted to check into out family as my Dad's side has American Indian (Lenape tribe) would love to know all about that, but haven't a clue as to how to start

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
That is so freakin awesome.... I've often wanted to check into out family as my Dad's side has American Indian (Lenape tribe) would love to know all about that, but haven't a clue as to how to start

I started with the information my dad left me and then got on Ancestry.com, but only the free site. Family Tree was also a big help, but some of the information I found was incorrect on that site. It has been a fun, enlightening task.

📰 Latest posts

Members online