need ideas before i pull my hair out...

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
bo and his digging... so the last 2 weeks has gotten so bad every time bo goes outside to play or potty and is outside for more than 5 mins he digs even when lex is out with him. we have been talking what if bo starts rubbing his bad habits on lex and what we will do. weeeellllll tonight i found lex's paws in a hole that i know bo had started.. both boys got a butt bustin and were put in time out.

WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO BESIDES THEY CANT BE OUTSIDE AT THE SAME TIME.. which breaks my heart cause they love playing on cool nites/days like tonight.

both boys get plenty of playtime
and also bo has gotten to where he wont listen to anyone even jeff.. i cant take him on a walk, go to the park, or dog park by myself cause he wont listen on and off a leash.

im so tired of his behavior it seems like the more we do with him and places he goes the stupider he gets.. he his around 3 yrs old

any ideas yall can think of will def be used...

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am sorry I have no ideas to help. Thankfully my boys have never thought of digging yet anyhow. Funny how the bad habits rub off but the good ones never do, why is that?!!?!? lol

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I got these from an internet search:

Sprinkle a small amount of black pepper in your garden if your dog is digging because of obsessive compulsion (that is, your dog never stops digging). The pepper, while not harmful, will be unpleasant for the dog to inhale while sniffing around the digging area. This will serve as a deterrent, and your dog will be less likely to enter the garden.

Spray or pour a small amount of citronella oil around your garden. Citronella is a natural repellent that is quite effective on dogs

My mother in law has told me before that the pepper idea is supposed to work well but I think she suggested a spicier pepper like chilli powder or ground cayenne pepper which makes sense to me because putting tapatio on a cable in my moms backyard stopped Samson from chewing it when he was a puppy and was over there visiting.

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i tried the cayenne pepper with my choco lab when he was younger and it didn't seem to phase him. BUT.....we had an idea to place his :poo: in the holes where he digged and it seemed to eventually stop. we would place a couple piles of poo in the whole and then a thinner layer of dirt back over. he definately didn't like scratching at his own :poo:! lol

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sorry can't help on this one ..... :confused:

H

heff101

Most times digging is out of frustration.
Has something changed in the home lately? Has someone moved out or into the home etc etc.
A tired dog is a good dog. Take him for a few walks. When they start to misbehave on the walk give them a lite little kick with your feet and a snap of the collar or hopefully in a bullys case a harness to snap them out of the moment and to show them who is the alpha.
I had a pitbull (very high energy) who started to dig and so I would talk her out in the field and run the heck out of her. When we would get back home we had a nice calm submissive dog on our hands.
Good luck.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Also i have read about getting a sand box for them(maybe you can make one big enough for tham) and placing some of theirs toys there.You are suppose to bury some toys in the sand for them to digg. I did got Mocha last summer a little tykes one for Her to play in.She did went through a phase of digging put it didnt last long.(make sure if you do get one to cover it at nite so that cats dont poo in it)

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I heard somewhere to put a balloon in one of the holes they like and cover it up with some dirt. When they start to dig they will most likely pop the balloon and scare themselves silly. I've never had a digger so I've not tried it myself.

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
well bo is a 100 lb high strung yellow lab. dont get me wrong hes a wonderful dog. it seems like the more we let him go for rides w us and stuff the stupider he gets.. this weekend we are gonna try cutting his toes short, just enough to make them sore so maybe this will stop him cause it will hurt when he tries to dig. \
bo loves to beg he would be in your lap if you let him in the same room with you while eating. one day jeff was eating some of the hot buffalo wild wing sauce and bo wanted it, well jeff gave him some he licked his lips for about 5 mins and went back to begging :eek:.. so not sure if the pepper or anything hot will phase him... we thought about a shock collar but dout that would phase him one bit either... putting socks on his feet will be another option...

@heff101 we go to a park near our house that has a walking track around it. we will take bikes and before we leave jeff will go 2 miles w bo running by his side around the track. by the time we load up drive home 3 to 4 mins to the house bo is ready to go again. also when i try to take bo on walks just me and him, all he wants to do is sniff and pull me.. we have a choke collar and he will pull cough, pull cough, pull cough, i yank him as hard as i can and nothing. we have a easy lead for him as well but thats another mess with him cause all he tries to do is pull it off with his paw, dont get much walking dont with that.. when jeff goes on walks with me jeff doesnt put him on a leash cause he listens a little better to him, at times lol. well all he does is run around and sniff and pee sniff and pee, jeff will call him about 6 times and finally he'll come to us. i dont know what to do anymore we have tried short leashin him but it gets so tired of holding him back, popping him doesnt help either.

we will def try the poop thing as well

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online