Carpet or laminate?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Our whole house is carpeted, except the kitchen, bathrooms and entrances. Even our dining area is carpeted.

Our second floor now has that 'dog' smell, mainly from the times Stig comes home from daycare. Should I stay with carpet and get a cleaner for approx. $240 from Costco or should I try and switch it to laminate? I figured it's going to cost between $700-$1000. Money's a little tight, but having to buy shampoo regularly is a downside to the carpet cleaner.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I don't like either but have both LOL Upstairs is all carpet (except bathrooms are tile), downstairs is all laminate (except the bathroom is tile). Carpet hold in smells and hair, I just think carpet is kind of gross. Laminate wood flooring sucks because it warps if it gets wet and the water just sits there. For instance when my beagle Loki has an accident in the house she always does it in one spot and that area of laminate has now warped. Same with where the dog water bowl is. I have a plastic mat under the water bowls and I wipe up the water like twice a day but still after the drink they BOTH leave little puddles of water in the area and it has caused that part of the floor to warp. When I change my flooring I want vinyl, tile would be nice too but it gets so cold! Someone here, I believe Gertie'sMom brought this up before. Let me go search for that thread :)

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I think you need to decide what you are more comfortable with...I have carpet,tile and hardwood in my home..and have so many compliments on my house not smelling like pets. I vacuum and also have a carpet scrubber. [But I don't clean my carpet constantly] but also use a diffuser from Crossroads. This lasts MONTHS before needing replaced. And I always have compliments of how my house never smells like pets...yet we have several critters.

Buttered Maple Syrup Reed Diffuser by Country Village Shoppe

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION]. Completely forgot about that thread. Costco's having a really good sale on their laminate, so it's very tempting. But I also browsed the wood looking vinyl flooring and they are really nice, almost double the price though. I have some Visa points that I can redeem at Home Depot, but I wanted to save that for a hotel stay when travelling. I guess I need to think about it some more. =)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Instead of replacing the carpeting in our family room, we had the whole house professionally cleaned and we really are happy with it. We have a Hoover steam cleaner and we spot clean often and do the whole family room or whole downstairs every few months, which perks the carpet up, but having a pro come in with their truck-mounted machine was amazing! The carpets nearly look new. Everything smells fresh and clean. I use a plug-in heated oil fragrance thing by Bath &Body Works. Never hurts to have something that smells good, just in case your dogs don't.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I personally love my laminate and also hardwood. Silva doesnt have accidents anymore so it is okay! We did have one accident when she was a baby and it left a raised area in the laminate. Good luck with your decision!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.