helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], sorry i'm so tardy with this recipe, but here's one that I dug out of my cookbook called Indonesian Regional Cooking (by Sri Owen):

PEANUT SAUCE (Sambal Kacang):

112ml vegetable oil
225g raw peanuts
2 cloves garlic chopped
4 shallots chopped
A thin slice of shrimp paste (optional)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
450ml water
1 tbsp juice of lemon

Stir fry the peanuts for 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain in a colander, and leave to cool. Then pound or grind the nuts into a fine powder (use a blender or pestle/mortar). Discard the oil except for 1 tablespoonful.
Crush the garlic, shallots and shrimp paste in a mortar and a little salt and fry in the remaining oil for 1 min. Add the chili powder, sugar, soy sauce, and water. Bring this to a boil then add the ground peanuts. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce becomes thick, this should take 8-10min. Add the lemon juice and more salt if needed. When cool, store in a jar in the fridge. Reheat as required for use. Can keep in fridge for 1 week.

My mom used to make this type of peanut sauce often. We ate it with satay (skewered meat on a stick), or with anything really b/c it's SO GOOD!
Hi is the regular raw peanut like the squirrel eat or can be any raw peanut?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi is the regular raw peanut like the squirrel eat or can be any raw peanut?

Helene, i'm not familiar w/the "squirrel" peanut (?) but it's just regular raw peanuts. You might be able to use roasted peanuts too. I don't recall which ones my mom used. Some people use peanut butter even.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Helene, i'm not familiar w/the "squirrel" peanut (?) but it's just regular raw peanuts. You might be able to use roasted peanuts too. I don't recall which ones my mom used. Some people use peanut butter even.
Errrrrr squirrel eats like the one you buy from Planters. The tall glass jar. Mind you it's plastic now lol. Or if you buy fresh it's like in a soft shell and one nut at each end. Like a #8 shape or a weight for exercise. Man it's hard to explain haha

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Errrrrr squirrel eats like the one you buy from Planters. The tall glass jar. Mind you it's plastic now lol. Or if you buy fresh it's like in a soft shell and one nut at each end. Like a #8 shape or a weight for exercise. Man it's hard to explain haha

ahhhh...i see now!!! Yes, you can definitely use that Planter's type of peanut! :)

Members online

No members online now.