Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 19 of 19

Thread: International Sauces

  1. #13
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1464
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: International Sauces

    @helsonwheels, sorry i'm so tardy with this recipe, but here's one that I dug out of my cookbook called Indonesian Regional Cooking (by Sri Owen):

    PEANUT SAUCE (Sambal Kacang):

    112ml vegetable oil
    225g raw peanuts
    2 cloves garlic chopped
    4 shallots chopped
    A thin slice of shrimp paste (optional)
    Salt to taste
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp dark soy sauce
    450ml water
    1 tbsp juice of lemon

    Stir fry the peanuts for 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain in a colander, and leave to cool. Then pound or grind the nuts into a fine powder (use a blender or pestle/mortar). Discard the oil except for 1 tablespoonful.
    Crush the garlic, shallots and shrimp paste in a mortar and a little salt and fry in the remaining oil for 1 min. Add the chili powder, sugar, soy sauce, and water. Bring this to a boil then add the ground peanuts. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce becomes thick, this should take 8-10min. Add the lemon juice and more salt if needed. When cool, store in a jar in the fridge. Reheat as required for use. Can keep in fridge for 1 week.

    My mom used to make this type of peanut sauce often. We ate it with satay (skewered meat on a stick), or with anything really b/c it's SO GOOD!




  2. Likes oscarmayer liked this post
  3. #14
    Rescue Volunteer helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,861
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)
    2331

    Default Re: International Sauces

    Cheers dear xoxo

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

  4. #15
    Rescue Volunteer helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,861
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)
    2331

    Default Re: International Sauces

    I would will make it and give you my input.. I'm sure it's going to be Fantastico!!!!!

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

  5. Likes cali baker liked this post
  6. #16
    Rescue Volunteer helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,861
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)
    2331

    Default Re: International Sauces

    Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    @helsonwheels, sorry i'm so tardy with this recipe, but here's one that I dug out of my cookbook called Indonesian Regional Cooking (by Sri Owen):

    PEANUT SAUCE (Sambal Kacang):

    112ml vegetable oil
    225g raw peanuts
    2 cloves garlic chopped
    4 shallots chopped
    A thin slice of shrimp paste (optional)
    Salt to taste
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp brown sugar
    1 tbsp dark soy sauce
    450ml water
    1 tbsp juice of lemon

    Stir fry the peanuts for 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain in a colander, and leave to cool. Then pound or grind the nuts into a fine powder (use a blender or pestle/mortar). Discard the oil except for 1 tablespoonful.
    Crush the garlic, shallots and shrimp paste in a mortar and a little salt and fry in the remaining oil for 1 min. Add the chili powder, sugar, soy sauce, and water. Bring this to a boil then add the ground peanuts. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce becomes thick, this should take 8-10min. Add the lemon juice and more salt if needed. When cool, store in a jar in the fridge. Reheat as required for use. Can keep in fridge for 1 week.

    My mom used to make this type of peanut sauce often. We ate it with satay (skewered meat on a stick), or with anything really b/c it's SO GOOD!
    Hi is the regular raw peanut like the squirrel eat or can be any raw peanut?

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

  7. #17
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1464
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: International Sauces

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Hi is the regular raw peanut like the squirrel eat or can be any raw peanut?

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
    Helene, i'm not familiar w/the "squirrel" peanut (?) but it's just regular raw peanuts. You might be able to use roasted peanuts too. I don't recall which ones my mom used. Some people use peanut butter even.




  8. #18
    Rescue Volunteer helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    1,861
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala
    Likes (Received)
    2331

    Default Re: International Sauces

    Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    Helene, i'm not familiar w/the "squirrel" peanut (?) but it's just regular raw peanuts. You might be able to use roasted peanuts too. I don't recall which ones my mom used. Some people use peanut butter even.
    Errrrrr squirrel eats like the one you buy from Planters. The tall glass jar. Mind you it's plastic now lol. Or if you buy fresh it's like in a soft shell and one nut at each end. Like a #8 shape or a weight for exercise. Man it's hard to explain haha

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

  9. #19
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1464
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: International Sauces

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Errrrrr squirrel eats like the one you buy from Planters. The tall glass jar. Mind you it's plastic now lol. Or if you buy fresh it's like in a soft shell and one nut at each end. Like a #8 shape or a weight for exercise. Man it's hard to explain haha

    Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
    ahhhh...i see now!!! Yes, you can definitely use that Planter's type of peanut!




  10. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •