Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
So I've rented a house for the first week of October in Corolla NC. It's 7 miles down the 4x4 stretch of beach.

I drive a 2015 Buick Encore AWD...so technically not 4 wheel drive...

Has anybody driven on this stretch of beach road? And do you think my Encore is ok?

I have my heart set on this trip and it's finally going to get Schultz to the ocean as he loves to play in the waves.

Any insights/advice would be welcome...

Thanks in advance

And of course a little video of Schultz this summer by Lake Erie

Sarahhttps://vimeo.com/179186031

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I have never been there but I have been to other places that allow people to drive on the beach and the sand is packed down well. I would talk to the people who you rented the house from or the agency but I would think your AWD CUV would be better than some cars that have probably been there.

Sounds like a great place to vacation too me if you need to drive down 7 miles of sandy beach to get there. I have never been to the Outer Banks yet but know people who go there every year for vacation.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
So I've rented a house for the first week of October in Corolla NC. It's 7 miles down the 4x4 stretch of beach.

I drive a 2015 Buick Encore AWD...so technically not 4 wheel drive...

Has anybody driven on this stretch of beach road? And do you think my Encore is ok?

I have my heart set on this trip and it's finally going to get Schultz to the ocean as he loves to play in the waves.

Any insights/advice would be welcome...

Thanks in advance

And of course a little video of Schultz this summer by Lake Erie

Sarahhttps://vimeo.com/179186031

I envy you. You will be fine as long as there is no Hurricane. Hwy 12 is a 2 lane 2-way road that in the main thoroughfare for the outer banks. Your Encore will be ideal.

I was in Rodanthe, NC a couple of years ago which is south of Kill Devil Hills. I drive a Toyota Highlander

Enjoy your trip and please take photos/movies so we can see. One other thing...be safe...they do have rip tides there. --rj

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
There is something wrong with the link to your movie.

I'm sorry that you aren't able to see the video I posted.

I'm having no luck viewing yours.

Maybe it's because I'm on my phone, after work I can check in on my laptop.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My FIL lives in Kill Devil Hills, so we have visited the OBX for years... we were just there about a month ago. I have been to Corolla years ago, buy my FIL had a 4 wheel jeep that we used to drive on the beach. IMO I would rather rent something to take on the beach than my own vehicle, but I agree w/ [MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION] I would call the owners to get their opinion. OBX is absolutely gorgeous, it's non-commercial and very family oriented beaches... we love it there!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I envy you. You will be fine as long as there is no Hurricane. Hwy 12 is a 2 lane 2-way road that in the main thoroughfare for the outer banks. Your Encore will be ideal.

I was in Rodanthe, NC a couple of years ago which is south of Kill Devil Hills. I drive a Toyota Highlander

Enjoy your trip and please take photos/movies so we can see. One other thing...be safe...they do have rip tides there. --rj

Hey this is totally random... do you like your Highlander? I'm deciding between that and a 4 Runner... Lol

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
My FIL lives in Kill Devil Hills, so we have visited the OBX for years... we were just there about a month ago. I have been to Corolla years ago, buy my FIL had a 4 wheel jeep that we used to drive on the beach. IMO I would rather rent something to take on the beach than my own vehicle, but I agree w/ @Chunky White I would call the owners to get their opinion. OBX is absolutely gorgeous, it's non-commercial and very family oriented beaches... we love it there!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey this is totally random... do you like your Highlander? I'm deciding between that and a 4 Runner... Lol

My Highlander is a 2007 and my wife has hers which is a 2015 and it is very nice and a comfortable ride and has just about every bell and whistle there is. Took out a second mortgage to pay for it.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I like random.

ronb36

Aug 18, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi, I have been watching this site for a while and enjoy all of the good content. I just recently got my 3rd Bulldog, Winston, who has already had the good fortune of spending a week in Corolla. I take my truck to the 4x area frequently and alway see a lot of AWD vehicles. I would recommend airing down your tires before you get on the sand. You may check around for specific pressure recommendations or call the rental company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Highlander is a 2007 and my wife has hers which is a 2015 and it is very nice and a comfortable ride and has just about every bell and whistle there is. Took out a second mortgage to pay for it.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I like random.

LMAO!!! Well they are damn expensive, but so is a Range Rover which I told the hubby I wanted next... :rofl:

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
LMAO!!! Well they are damn expensive, but so is a Range Rover which I told the hubby I wanted next... :rofl:

What I want next is a huge RV so we can travel without the worry of a pet friendly establishments. My uncle and aunt have and RV and it is nice...plush. A home on wheels.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Hi, I have been watching this site for a while and enjoy all of the good content. I just recently got my 3rd Bulldog, Winston, who has already had the good fortune of spending a week in Corolla. I take my truck to the 4x area frequently and alway see a lot of AWD vehicles. I would recommend airing down your tires before you get on the sand. You may check around for specific pressure recommendations or call the rental company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you and welcome to this wonderful community....full of helpful information for all kinds of things.

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Good info so far - deflate tires a bit, don't try to go out after a big storm, etc. I used to regularly go there and almost moved there 12 years ago instead of the other side of the NC coastline (right beside SC). If you do run into trouble there will probably be someone with a 4x4 and strap to give you a pull pretty quick.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful place to spend time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.