helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was at my son and he has a little issue that can become bigger if not fix asap. I thought I would share if some comes across having a dog that's the leader and Not you.

"Most" little dogs are the ones you need to watch. They can be little "Sh**" disturbers. A lot of people would ask me why this why that about their little dogs. Cause you let them get away withtit cause it's cute or funny....plain n simple. Don't matter the size, they need to be trained the same way. Example, I sometimes babysit one of my son's 2 little dogs. One is a rescue chihuahua 2yrs old n one 13yrs old. The 2yr old he's at my house no issues. I go to his house when my son opens the door little bugger charges into Nyala and nips. I go "Hey" he backs off. The 13yr old well... she's grumpy and doesnt want to be bothered. He also has one, that is half wolf n malamute 8yrs old that lives outside and just lost her daughter 5yrs. Daughter decided to chew on the dog house and choked. Fluke accident. Mom became the leader of the pack. Wolf instinct. She decide to also be my son n his wife's leader. I brought my muzzle I had from my GS and put it on her cause she doesn't want Nyala near her pack. Time to teach my son a few tricks for him to become the leader of the pack. Wolf has no issue when Nyala is there but she will go up to her face and growl at Nyala. But there is no bitting. As soon as the other 2 little ones comes out the wolf one becomes aggressive towards Nyala. It's "her" pack and stay away. So we put the muzzle so there's no harm done on Nyala. Told my son n wife when she does that to get infront of her face and say NO and put her down on the side for 5 mins to start. Let Nyala smell her while she down. Then let her get back up. If she does it again you repeat. The biggest issue is when the other 2 little ones are out. So if you have more than one dog, put them away when you are trying to break a bad habit from an alpha dog. Train one on one. Then slowly integrate the other pack in. The wolf one isnt so bad, it's the litte chihuahua that needs to be addressed more that the wolf one. Chico has now decided to be the leader. So we had to address him in front of the wolf one so the wolf gets to see "chico" isn't any better than you.

Basically what im trying to say is "never" allow any size alpha dog to take over you, your kids, the house or any other dogs in the family. There is NO alpha size. I just gave an example above cause people will think mix breed with wolf, dobermans, GS, pitbulls will be an issue. Yes can be but mostly biggest problem was Chico, the little ones! He starts the bullying and the rest all gets hyper and finishes for him. It's your roof, you pay the bills, you buy the food to feed them.... well "you're" the boss. Same way if you raise kids. My 2 cents :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree...

I'm personally NOT a fan of little nipper dogs, my father-in-law has those little terriers and they always nip at people. We have learned from our new trainer that training has to start from day one… Walter's transition has really opened my eyes to how quickly things can get out of control.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yep.... 'nothing in life is free' regardless of size

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, they must be taught who is the alpha, and a good way to teach that is like Christine [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said, nothing in life is free.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I agree...

I'm personally NOT a fan of little nipper dogs, my father-in-law has those little terriers and they always nip at people. We have learned from our new trainer that training has to start from day one… Walter's transition has really opened my eyes to how quickly things can get out of control.

Years ago my grandmother dragged me to a friends house for daily visits because she didn't drive. The family had two chihuahuas. I carried a rolled up newspaper in the house once we arrived. Serious ankle biters when we were there, but that rolled up newspaper saved my ankles, lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.