Are Bullies good on Road Trips???

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Supposed to be going on a 2 week road trip. Driving around 3000km. Just debating if I should bring Nyala. She's very good in the truck. Furthest I go with her is couple hrs drive. 3000km is like 3days and at least a good 12 hrs or so driving.... so that's alot. Not sure bullies are good on road trips. Any suggestions?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Helene. Every dog is different but my experience with road trips has been good. The longest we've ever driven with our guys is 3 hours each way, so 6 hours round trip, and they slept all the way there. I made sure to feed them in the morning a few hours before we left so their tummies wouldn't be so full, and to avoid car sickness, and we made sure that they did their duties before leaving. We placed an open sleeping bag in the back of the car for them to lay on, and we stopped for a water and potty break along the way, and to let them stretch their legs. While we were driving, they slept. If Nyala is used to being in the car and she doesn't get car sick, she should be fine.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Planning a road trip? Traveling with a pet involves more than just loading the animal in the back seat and motoring off-especially if you will be driving long distances or plan to be away for a long time. The ASPCA offers the following tips to help you prepare for a safe and smooth car trip:​

1. Keep your pets safe and secure in a well-ventilated crate or carrier. There are a variety of wire mesh, hard plastic and soft-sided carriers available. Whatever you choose, make sure itā€™s large enough for your pet to stand, sit, lie down and turn around in. And P.S., itā€™s smart to get your pet used to the carrier in the comfort of your home before your trip.
  2. Get your pet geared up for a long trip by taking him on a series of short drives first, gradually lengthening time spent in the car. And please be sure to always secure the crate so it wonā€™t slide or shift in the event of a quick stop.
  3. Your petā€™s travel-feeding schedule should start with a light meal three to four hours prior to departure. Donā€™t feed your furry friend in a moving vehicle-even if it is a long drive.
  4. Never leave your animal alone in a parked vehicle. On a hot day, even with the windows open, a parked automobile can become a furnace in no time, and heatstroke can develop. In cold weather, a car can act as a refrigerator, holding in the cold and causing the animal to freeze to death.
  5. What in your petā€™s traveling kit? In addition to travel papers, food, bowl, leash, a waste scoop, plastic bags, grooming supplies, medication and a pet first-aid kit, pack a favorite toy or pillow to give your pet a sense of familiarity.
  6. Make sure your pet has a microchip for identification and wears a collar with a tag imprinted with your home address, as well as a temporary travel tag with your cell phone, destination phone number and any other relevant contact information. Canines should wear flat (never choke!) collars, please.
  7. Don't allow your pet to ride with his head outside the window. He could be injured by flying objects. And please keep him in the back seat in his crate or with a harness attached to a seat buckle.
  8. Traveling across state lines? Bring along your petā€™s rabies vaccination record, as some states requires this proof at certain interstate crossings. While this generally isnā€™t a problem, itā€™s always smart to be on the safe side.
  9. When it comes to H2O, we say BYO. Opt for bottled water or tap water stored in plastic jugs. Drinking water from an area heā€™s not used to could result in tummy upset for your pet.
  10. If you travel frequently with your pet, you may want to invest in rubberized floor liners and waterproof seat covers, available at auto product retailers.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
my two love being in the car. the farthest we have taken them is about 6 hrs to my parents house.

What i do is take them for a walk before we go, get them tired out so they relax most of the trip. i'll make 1-2 stops in that 6 hrs so they can potty and walk around a bit.

I keep them in the backseat so they don't hop around the car. I also make sure to take them water.

good luck! i'm sure she will do great.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yep! Agree with Jennie! Tyson is awesome in the car, just be sure to pack her a bag too. Food, water, treats, meds, wipes, toys, bones, blankets :) We've taken a 6 hour drive with Tyson. Stopped twice I believe to let him pee/stretch, etc. He mostly just passes out in the back seat :)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hmmmm that's what I figured. When I left home to move here in Alberta, from east of Canada to west side, I had my GS Major. He was 115lb so I had to stop often cause he was a big dog and needed to move. But he also had issues with anxiety. He would whine constantly till we hit hwys he would be quiet. 3 days of whining. Even boosted him with gravol and that never worked lol.... Thank God he couldn't talk or I would of heard... Are we there yet? Haha..... I figured I would ask cause ullies might be a tad different. She's extremely quiet n just lays there like a log. It's a big pick up and crew cab. She has room to move for sure.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
FTSE enjoys going on trips he just sleeps sits up looking out the window grabbing everyone's attention as they drive by, but most important don't forget the pee stops and drinks she should be fine unless of course she doesn't like the car

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
FTSE enjoys going on trips he just sleeps sits up looking out the window grabbing everyone's attention as they drive by, but most important don't forget the pee stops and drinks she should be fine unless of course she doesn't like the car

She loves vehicles. When you open the back door she waits to be picked up and buckled up. Im 99% sure she'll tag along. Cheers all

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
She loves vehicles. When you open the back door she waits to be picked up and buckled up. Im 99% sure she'll tag along. Cheers all

The funny thing is when we get home FTSE won't get out of the car we have to literally pick him up to get him out

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Think of what your needs are and you know your pup better then anyone and X 2 or 3 it . Water , stops for food, wash-rooms ( in this case grass or similar in Canada might be snow ) ect ect . You have a radio or human company , your pup has ? Bulldogs are very social with there owners , i have found mine on My pillow when i awake they need a certain amount of interaction in a car or truck maybe more as you are separated , A SEATBELT AND HARNESS for your pup even on the front seat back seat is better for us in our truck but they wear seat belts . others with more exp then Me will give good advice .
I travel all the time with My bully and a Cane Corso and i have no choice there a pair bulldogs are big or can be , Cane Corso are huge compared and they have little room left in the back seat of a full size Tundra so think of that space for your dog no extra stuff back there the dog is due the full back seat to move around with a seat belt on for those types of distances to Me . One other thing LOTS of pictures to put up here on the site so we see how ya did it all , we can also learn from your adventure Bud !!

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Think of what your needs are and you know your pup better then anyone and X 2 or 3 it . Water , stops for food, wash-rooms ( in this case grass or similar in Canada might be snow ) ect ect . You have a radio or human company , your pup has ? Bulldogs are very social with there owners , i have found mine on My pillow when i awake they need a certain amount of interaction in a car or truck maybe more as you are separated , A SEATBELT AND HARNESS for your pup even on the front seat back seat is better for us in our truck but they wear seat belts . others with more exp then Me will give good advice .
I travel all the time with My bully and a Cane Corso and i have no choice there a pair bulldogs are big or can be , Cane Corso are huge compared and they have little room left in the back seat of a full size Tundra so think of that space for your dog no extra stuff back there the dog is due the full back seat to move around with a seat belt on for those types of distances to Me . One other thing LOTS of pictures to put up here on the site so we see how ya did it all , we can also learn from your adventure Bud !!

Yes we have a full size F150 crewcab and Nyala will have half of the back so she can get up and move around. Im not the bring 20 suitcase type. One is enough. Im sure Nyala wi.l have more stuff than me. Lolll

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some are fantastic..... others HATE it. Cheli and Lambeau all enjoy..... but Banks, HA! She would hide or pretend to be sleeping whenever she knew it was a car ride.... we ended up having to get her medicated for any extended ride.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
This is funny that Banks would hide or pretend to be sleeping!

Some are fantastic..... others HATE it. Cheli and Lambeau all enjoy..... but Banks, HA! She would hide or pretend to be sleeping whenever she knew it was a car ride.... we ended up having to get her medicated for any extended ride.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Izzy whines, she's a bit anxious and has lots of energy. Only taken her in 1 car trip/business trip for 2 hours. I tried to use a seat belt on her but she became a gremlin and somehow was able to release herself. Next think she was seating on the passenger seat all happy next to me.... :/

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Yes we have a full size F150 crewcab and Nyala will have half of the back so she can get up and move around. Im not the bring 20 suitcase type. One is enough. Im sure Nyala wi.l have more stuff than me. Lolll

HA HA HA I pack like you and for the dogs more then me , The Prettyone ( wife , I am shaking my head ) good thing we have a full size p/u also lol
Are you coming home for a visit you will almost go by My door if so lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.