Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Oh my problems are endless 😞 There seems to be a different issue everyday. I know I am most likely going to have to go to the vet with this one though.
Yesterday on my walk with George as always he walks along the grass at the side of the road where possible I guess he likes it better than the pavement. Then when we got home I noticed his left paw last nail was bleeding I wiped off as much blood as he would allow and I put the gold bond powder on and it stopped the bleeding. I think the nail might be cracked but it could be in between its so hard to see where exactly the pad looks intact so I'm fairly sure it isn't that. I think he may have stepped on a tree branch or something sharp in the grass.
We also met an unleashed loose lab and George (as usual) jumped at it to play the lab moved away and George sort of back flipped and landed on his shoulder.
He seemed OK yesterday evening but this morning when I was letting him out to the bathroom he appeared to be limping it could just be his paw is a little tender maybe or he was a bit stiff from getting out of his crate. I will see how he is when he gets up and is walking around for a while I truly hope he hasn't damaged his shoulder 😢 The paw thing as awful as it is should only be until the flesh heals.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He may be sore.. Did both happen to the same leg? Give him a few days of rest and daily clean the nail that broke... Then if still limping on say, Wednesday take him for a check by your vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
He may be sore.. Did both happen to the same leg? Give him a few days of rest and daily clean the nail that broke... Then if still limping on say, Wednesday take him for a check by your vet

No it was the bleeding on the left foot and the fall was onto his left shoulder.
Looking at him walking a bit today he appears to be limping on the side of the cut (left) and he has been licking the paw a little. Yes my daughter talked me out of going to the vet till later in the week if he is still limping then. I have looked I can't see where it is cut no sign of anything in it either, the nail is still on I just think it's split all along it.
He is sleeping nearly all the time too which is rather odd for him, someone said he might be calming down after the neutering I really don't know.
I feel like I've broken him ��

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He'll be fine in a few days... Sleeping more could be he us growing

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
He'll be fine in a few days... Sleeping more could be he us growing

Thanks I hope that's all it is he's normally very active in his waking hours. Yesterday and today he's so lethargic, even before the horrible walk.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Now, sleepy and lethargic are VERY different.... He is 8 mths old, correct? He is eating and drinking right?

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
He's lying around snoozing (making a snoring noise) he's not actually asleep because when anyone moves he lifts his head. He's not walking around or moving much at all the most he moves is from one bed to another and sometimes he lies on the carpet.
He is eating fine not drinking much at all nothing since I've been home which is 5 hours now.
He will be 9 months in 3 days time.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:whew: sounds like he is just being lazy... As long as he is eating-- you feed raw, right? If yes, drinking less is expected

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
:whew: sounds like he is just being lazy... As long as he is eating-- you feed raw, right? If yes, drinking less is expected

Yep he is still in his transition from kibble but he is mainly on raw now just not completely I think he will be completely on it by the end of this week.
Just as I started to type this he hobbled out and drank then went out to pee. I did read that somewhere about the raw alright the drinking would be less.
I can see he is holding the toe off the ground on the left side (the right side the full paw is on the ground). I had another look and from what I can make out the nail looks as if it is cracked across right where the nail meets the skin (human cuticle) it must be sore but I'm sure a day or 2 resting it should be ok. I've kind of ruled out the fall as a problem.
You are so good for always being there thank you.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I'm still a bit worried about the change in his personality ( for want of a better word). He won't come out of his crate except to eat and go to the bathroom normally he loves to come in to the sitting room with me at lunch but he's just sitting in his crate he's squeaking a toy. I have a terrible fear that he hates us �� We have never hit him or done anything to him that would make him afraid. If anything it's the other way around he he has had his aggressive moments that have been scary for us.
His limp is still there but I think it's a little better.
Maybe it's the mix of the neutering and the switch to raw it could just be a lot for his body to manage. The raw is going well though I think anyway no major pooping or regurgitation problems.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm still a bit worried about the change in his personality ( for want of a better word). He won't come out of his crate except to eat and go to the bathroom normally he loves to come in to the sitting room with me at lunch but he's just sitting in his crate he's squeaking a toy. I have a terrible fear that he hates us �� We have never hit him or done anything to him that would make him afraid. If anything it's the other way around he he has had his aggressive moments that have been scary for us.
His limp is still there but I think it's a little better.
Maybe it's the mix of the neutering and the switch to raw it could just be a lot for his body to manage. The raw is going well though I think anyway no major pooping or regurgitation problems.

Some pups just LOVE their crate... my first two did, whenever they wanted to be left alone (no snuggles or bother by the other) they would go to their crate and just hang out with a bone or toy or even just sleep. We had trained them that they could not bother each other when in the crate so it really was their 'safe zone'. If his paw is bothering him then it could be he just wants it to heal.... as long as he is eating, drinking, poo and pee normally try not to worry, once you see he is not limping and the nail is better, try to engage him in play... practice commands, such as 'come' using his favorite treat, give praise and then see if he stays engaged. At his age too, he may be going through a 'growth spurt' and need his beauty sleep :)

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Some pups just LOVE their crate... my first two did, whenever they wanted to be left alone (no snuggles or bother by the other) they would go to their crate and just hang out with a bone or toy or even just sleep. We had trained them that they could not bother each other when in the crate so it really was their 'safe zone'. If his paw is bothering him then it could be he just wants it to heal.... as long as he is eating, drinking, poo and pee normally try not to worry, once you see he is not limping and the nail is better, try to engage him in play... practice commands, such as 'come' using his favorite treat, give praise and then see if he stays engaged. At his age too, he may be going through a 'growth spurt' and need his beauty sleep :)

I couldn't deal with the worry any longer so I brought him to the vet. His nail is cracked across (not all the way around) she gave him an antibiotic shot and I have painkiller for him for a week. He isn't to be excercised for a few days. She didn't think he would loose the nail but time will tell with that. If he's not better in a week I've to bring him back.
I guess they are more intelligent than humans they know to rest when they have an injury we tend to try and keep going.
He is out of the crate now lying beside me in the sitting room watching to

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I couldn't deal with the worry any longer so I brought him to the vet. His nail is cracked across (not all the way around) she gave him an antibiotic shot and I have painkiller for him for a week. He isn't to be excercised for a few days. She didn't think he would loose the nail but time will tell with that. If he's not better in a week I've to bring him back.
I guess they are more intelligent than humans they know to rest when they have an injury we tend to try and keep going.

Well, it sounds like that was the right choice.... hope he is all better real soon and the meds kick in quick.

Keep us posted :)

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Well, it sounds like that was the right choice.... hope he is all better real soon and the meds kick in quick.

Keep us posted :)
Will do thank you Christine ����

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Poor George. So glad you decided to go ahead and take him in. The pain meds will help for sure and keep him calm. I'm late to the thread sorry, but I saw you mention earlier regarding water intake. Yes, it will be less due to the raw. So don't be alarmed :) I sure hope he feels better in just a few days. Just give him some extra loving, hee hee.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.