Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I had a very emotional and upsetting thing happen to me on Tuesday Morning before I went to my Moms house. I got a phone call from a man who said he was a lawyer and that my daughter had been in a terrible car accident the night before. He told me she had gone to a football game with a friend and they were drinking and she decided to drive her friends car home. He told me she had lost her front teeth, her nose was broken and her face was a mess. I was freaking out and crying, I was asking him questions, where did this happen, he said it was in Uxbridge which is really far from where she lives. I talked to my daughter the night before until 10:30 pm, and then she said goodnight because she had to get up early for work. My daughter doesn't drive, she has a learners and she would never drink and drive, she's 33 years old and has a son, she's not a teenager. He told me that she was in jail in a holding cell at the police station, and that he had represented her in court that morning and he needed bail money for her, or she was being transferred to the jail. He said the judge wouldn't let her go without bail, because she had hurt somebody in the accident and it was quite serious. He said she was charged with DUI, causing bodily harm, driving without a valid license, and reckless driving. I told him I didn't have the money on me, and that I would have to call my husband and her husband. He told me she didn't want me to call her husband, because she wanted to tell him herself and she was very embarrassed. He gave me his name and a phone number and told me to call him back when I had arranged the money. I called hubby at work, and he was so upset, he left work and raced home, then I called my daughters husband, but couldn't get hold of him, because he works nights and he was sleeping. I called his mother who lives upstairs, and told her what happened, and she woke David up. He came on the phone and was very confused, and asked me what I was talking about and why was I so upset and crying? I told him Danielle had been in a really bad car accident, and he told me that Danielle had got up early for work and got ready, and got Kaden up for school, and they walked him to school together, and then he walked her to the bus stop and she went to work. I said are you sure? I then said I'll call that guy back and see if it was a wrong number or a mistake and maybe it was someone else? I phoned the number that he gave me, and it was a wrong number, it belonged to a lady, it was here cell phone number. My daughter then called me from work, and said Mom what are you doing? I told her the story, and she couldn't believe it, she was at work and perfectly fine. I called my hubby back, and told him it was a Scam, and to drive carefully, because he was so upset. I. Ant believe how evil and cruel people are and that they would do something like this for money. I'm sure he won't call me back, because he knows that once I called her husband, I would know that she was okay. He wanted me to give him my credit card. This could have had such a bad ripple effect, my hubby could have gotten into an accident driving home, I have a lot of medical problems, and Autoimmune disease, and one of them is that I have too much adrenaline in my body, so I bet blood pressure spikes. I hadn't had one in a long time, but because I got such a shock and was so upset that my daughter was hurt, I got a big adrenaline surge and my blood pressure went up to 238/170. I could have had a stroke, and even after I knew she was okay and I was able to calm down, I was affected by it all day and I was sick for the day. I was shaking, and my stomach was ill, plus my heart was racing. I was a wreck, and I was so emotional because of the adrenaline, that I kept crying. My daughter left work and hubby and I went to see her. I hugged her so hard, was so glad she was okay. Then I went to my Moms house so I could do my tests at the Hospital today. I was going to cancel the appointment, but decided to get it over with, and was feeling better this morning so I went. I didn't sleep very well so I'm really tired today, plus I had a little bit of sedation and so am going to bed.​

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh Monica that is awful what low life scum does these things to innocent people one day I hope the table turns and someone does it to them, hope your back to yourself now :hug:

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
People will do anything for money these days.. its really sad that they don't think about others... I am sorry this happened to you.. I have Multiple Sclerosis so i can relate to how you feel. And some of the things you are dealing with. I am a strong believer in karma.. try to relax and hope things get better for you..

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh Monica that is awful what low life scum does these things to innocent people one day I hope the table turns and someone does it to them, hope your back to yourself now :hug:

it was quite a shock to get a phone call like that in the morning, made me very emotional. I can't believe people can do that to somebody and scare someone like that just for money.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
it was quite a shock to get a phone call like that in the morning, made me very emotional. I can't believe people can do that to somebody and scare someone like that just for money.

I would have been in the same position as you Monica.
Too many :evil: people in this world.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I would have been in the same position as you Monica.
Too many :evil: people in this world.

Yes, and it is scary... afraid of what will happen a few years from now.. seems like things are getting worse these days.. gosh, i remember going to bed at night with just a screen door closed.. we never had to worry about things like that.. I'm glad I have my great watch dogs... well, at least they bark.. they will probably lick an intruder to death.. lol..

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Wow...Monica, I'm so sorry this has happened to you & your family!

Around Christmas, I got a similar call except it was a recorded call
saying it was a jail facility and the person was trying to call collect
(like from one of your loved ones jailed & trying to reach you). The
msg was saying to input a credit card # so the person could speak
to you...it was very professionally done & sounded legit. I thought of
elderly people who might worry a grandkid was arrested & in trouble,
easy to fall for this crap!

These things are increasing as money is harder to get now ;(

I send you love, prayers & peace, my dear friend.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
That is awful The lewels of low that some people are dropping to just to steal a buck is disgusting. Scum of the earth for sure. I am glad everyone is ok. . i

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
My God Monica I am so sorry to hear this , i hope you called the police , you must report this, they will let the public know this is taking place and to be aware that these calls are happening please do this .
This type of thing could cause a older more fragile person to have a heart attack or worse ok . please let the police know .
I hope you are feeling better truly my friend .
XO

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
That is horrible Monica, I'm SO sorry that you had to deal w/that...

I don't believe ANY of that crap on a phone call. The other day I got a call that the IRS was doing a review of our taxes, and they needed to connect me immediately to a representative… I hung up and then promptly blocked the caller.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good GOD.... I am so sorry you had to endure all that stress .... humans are just so cruel and greedy, care nothing for anything or one but themselves. We all have to e very aware of this crap-holes and always on guard.

hugs to you Monica... hope you are feeling better

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Scammers are bad!!

My 73yr old mother was told she was in the running to win money from Publishers Clearing House but they needed her to send money for some odd reason or another and to not tell any family in case she didn't win. This went on for months and she gave them thousands of dollars before anyone found out and if my sister in law hadn't answered the phone who knows how much more she would of given.

The whole attorney deal and your daughter in jail is horrible. I can't believe what some people are willing to do to get money these day.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My God Monica I am so sorry to hear this , i hope you called the police , you must report this, they will let the public know this is taking place and to be aware that these calls are happening please do this .
This type of thing could cause a older more fragile person to have a heart attack or worse ok . please let the police know .
I hope you are feeling better truly my friend .
XO

Thanks every one, I am starting to feel better. Nat I did call the police, and they told me that because I hadn't given them any money, that was a good thing, but there was nothing they could do, unless I had, the police officer did give me the phone number of the Fraud Squad reporting centre and I told them the story, and took my information. They told me that this was a common scam called the Grandma or Grandparents Scam. I gave them the phone number that the man had given me, and they asked if they could share the information with police, which I said yes. She said a report would be made and if they find any information, they will call me back.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Monica, I am so so sorry that you and your husband had to go so much stress and anguish due to some evil low-life looking for a quick payout. Was the number he called from saved on your phone so you can make a police report? What a horrible thing to go through. I am glad that everyone in your family is okay.

One positive thing from this is that maybe you can now organize an emergency plan with your family with a verification system in case this happens again or in the case of an actual emergency.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
That's awful Monica, so sorry to hear this. Its becoming more & more common now. So sad. I am glad that everyone is okay. And don't worry - those scammers will get what's coming to them! :angry:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.