ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Most of you know that I'm part of a boot camp challenge group where we work out a couple of times a week, and I've been feeling better than I have in years. Well today we ALL started a Whole30 Food Challenge, basically it's a Paleo diet for a month NO dairy, grains or sugar… :unsure:

If any of you have any advice or tips… or have you tried the challenge before I'm ALL ears… I'm still reading the book It all starts with food, and BOY what an EYE-OPENER this has been for me. It's sickening to think what is happening to our bodies w/all the crap we are eating!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That's great Tracey, good for you. I really don't have any tips for you but wanted to encourage you and say good luck. It's never easy to make a change especially to your diet. It will be very difficult to eliminate all grains, dairy and sugar since these things are in most of the foods we eat, but it will be a very positive and healthy change. I should be looking at new ways to eat as well as I struggle with weight, and many health issues. Good luck, and I will be looking for updates on your journey and tips and advice you will have as you go along. Woo Hoo go Tracey.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lewis has been on Paelo for about 1.5 yrs now ..... he loves it and cheats sometimes, but he only eats meats and veggies. He lost about 20-25 lbs.. not one stitch of exercise. I, indirectly due to his changes, cut out all carbs/grains too, and lost NOTHING!

Good Luck!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Most of you know that I'm part of a boot camp challenge group where we work out a couple of times a week, and I've been feeling better than I have in years. Well today we ALL started a Whole30 Food Challenge, basically it's a Paleo diet for a month NO dairy, grains or sugar… :unsure:

If any of you have any advice or tips… or have you tried the challenge before I'm ALL ears… I'm still reading the book It all starts with food, and BOY what an EYE-OPENER this has been for me. It's sickening to think what is happening to our bodies w/all the crap we are eating!!!

Well if it tastes good and is comfort food...then it is bad for you (Now drop and give me twenty!). Diet wise---proteins and veggies and may I suggest you try juicing (although you will have an intake of sugars with some veggies).

Richard Simmons says, "Let's go ladies...5, 6, 7, 8....you call them calves....they look like steers to me. Let's go!"

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I tried Paleo for about 6 months or so two years ago. I liked the emphasis on eating organic, healthier foods, nothing processed, etc...
I had to stop though when my food cravings got a little out of control. I just love sugar too much (!)

There are some helpful Paleo food blogs out there though and lots with great recipes!

Good luck, Tracey!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Forgot to mention --- what I do for Lewis is keep the fridge stocked with cooked meat, fish and salads -- this way if he is looking to nibble or hungry at any time, it is all ready for him. I spend a few hours each weekend cooking 5 or 6 meats/fishes that will last him the week for lunch/dinner. Breakfast he has 3 eggs and a meat of some type each morning.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds like you can eat Fromm's, Tracey!! It's the Bulleo diet! [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] :bulldog: Best of luck with your goal!

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Wow, congrats to you for taking on this challenge!!

I eat a modified paleo I guess, I don't really follow any sort of diet I just know carbs are the devil (the most delicious sin hahahah) and I avoid them as much as possible. Honestly I do a low-carb, low-sugar, moderate protein, high-fat diet. When I first started I lost almost 30lbs! Stick with whole fat foods, don't go for low-fat yogurt, or low fat cream cheese. Low fat stuff is just junked up with excess sugars and things we don't need. For the most part I think lean cuisine and other frozen type meals were the downfall of healthy dieting. They're just loaded with junk. they may be low fat but they're usually high carb!

I also skip breakfast, eat a light lunch, and save most of my daily calories for dinner. Just what works for me!

I think the key is finding 'replacements' or things that satisfy your cravings. I miss pasta a lot, but I use a 'zoodler' to make zucchini noodles, and just eat those with chicken and homemade alfredo sauce or other sauces. this is what I have:

Amazon.com: Zoodle Slicer ZS001 Vegetable Spiral Slicer and Pasta Maker: Kitchen & Dining

oh, and avocados make a great spread/replacement for mayo. for lunches sometimes I cut up half an avocado and eat it with one of those flavored tuna pouches. good fats and protein.

good luck! look forward to seeing your updates of how amazing you are feeling :)

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Lewis has been on Paelo for about 1.5 yrs now ..... he loves it and cheats sometimes, but he only eats meats and veggies. He lost about 20-25 lbs.. not one stitch of exercise. I, indirectly due to his changes, cut out all carbs/grains too, and lost NOTHING!

Good Luck!

WOW that is amazing, what prompted him to do it?!! I think that my biggest issue is the SUGAR… it's in everything, and I'm NOT kidding. I'm planning on food prepping today, getting all my proteins ready and getting my veggies cleaned and cut-up. Christine have you thought about getting your thyroid checked? I have hypothyroidism and I could NOT lose weight no matter what till I started my meds.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Forgot to mention --- what I do for Lewis is keep the fridge stocked with cooked meat, fish and salads -- this way if he is looking to nibble or hungry at any time, it is all ready for him. I spend a few hours each weekend cooking 5 or 6 meats/fishes that will last him the week for lunch/dinner. Breakfast he has 3 eggs and a meat of some type each morning.

Thanks Christine… I had 2 boiled eggs, half a banana & some almonds for breakfast. I really MISS my coffee creamer though :(

OP
ddnene

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow, congrats to you for taking on this challenge!!

I eat a modified paleo I guess, I don't really follow any sort of diet I just know carbs are the devil (the most delicious sin hahahah) and I avoid them as much as possible. Honestly I do a low-carb, low-sugar, moderate protein, high-fat diet. When I first started I lost almost 30lbs! Stick with whole fat foods, don't go for low-fat yogurt, or low fat cream cheese. Low fat stuff is just junked up with excess sugars and things we don't need. For the most part I think lean cuisine and other frozen type meals were the downfall of healthy dieting. They're just loaded with junk. they may be low fat but they're usually high carb!

I also skip breakfast, eat a light lunch, and save most of my daily calories for dinner. Just what works for me!

I think the key is finding 'replacements' or things that satisfy your cravings. I miss pasta a lot, but I use a 'zoodler' to make zucchini noodles, and just eat those with chicken and homemade alfredo sauce or other sauces. this is what I have:

Amazon.com: Zoodle Slicer ZS001 Vegetable Spiral Slicer and Pasta Maker: Kitchen & Dining

oh, and avocados make a great spread/replacement for mayo. for lunches sometimes I cut up half an avocado and eat it with one of those flavored tuna pouches. good fats and protein.

good luck! look forward to seeing your updates of how amazing you are feeling :)

Thanks for the tips, yes luckily I LOVE avocado's… Congrats on losing 30lbs, that is amazing!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW that is amazing, what prompted him to do it?!! I think that my biggest issue is the SUGAR… it's in everything, and I'm NOT kidding. I'm planning on food prepping today, getting all my proteins ready and getting my veggies cleaned and cut-up. Christine have you thought about getting your thyroid checked? I have hypothyroidism and I could NOT lose weight no matter what till I started my meds.

Yes, it was checked, my doctor said it was a little low but nothing to warrant meds or an issue.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Wow, Good luck to you Tracey! The sugar cravings should subside in a week or two. I am a vegetarian. I sometimes have a "cheat" if my body is really craving protien but I have tried not to give in to it because it will usually make me sick after. Now forgive my ignorance but are eggs considered dairy?

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I think I may need to get my thyroid checked out. Just over the last year and 1/2 my hair has thinned and I gained 20 lbs. Energy level last year was AWFUL!

I have not tried this diet, but love cayenne pepper and supposedly that helps w/cravings?! Best of luck, I'll be cheering you on!!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I start off my day with a big bowl of Frosted Flakes. Then I head to Dunkin Donuts for a large coffee and jelly donut.
Lunch is a nice hot roast beef hero with brown gravy and melted mozzarella cheese.
A few red bulls during the afternoon.
Chicken Parm for dinner
Chocolate shake around midnight ...
works for me. The pounds are falling off...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online