Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
One of the best parts about cooking a turkey is having the turkey neck all to myself (weird, I know, but it's the BEST - minus those tiny bones - don't knock it 'til ya try it!). Growing up, my mother and I would fight over it and since she was the cook, she had a say as to whom got more (not a whole lotta meat on that sucker)…Ever since I started cooking for my family the neck has been "mine all mine":evil: :giggle:
mostly because the girls and Hubby think it's "gross"…This year, I am considering sacrificing it to my favorite boy…(uncooked of course -wink). He has not yet had one and I think he would LOVE it! This may just cause a new "feud" in the years to come…especially if my Mom comes for dinner!!
:unsure::sarcastic::bulldog:

!!!!HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

:thanks3::thanks5::thanks1::thanks1::thanks1::thanks1:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
One of the best parts about cooking a turkey is having the turkey neck all to myself (weird, I know, but it's the BEST - minus those tiny bones - don't knock it 'til ya try it!). Growing up, my mother and I would fight over it and since she was the cook, she had a say as to whom got more (not a whole lotta meat on that sucker)…Ever since I started cooking for my family the neck has been "mine all mine":evil: :giggle:
mostly because the girls and Hubby think it's "gross"…This year, I am considering sacrificing it to my favorite boy…(uncooked of course -wink). He has not yet had one and I think he would LOVE it! This may just cause a new "feud" in the years to come…especially if my Mom comes for dinner!!
:unsure::sarcastic::bulldog:

!!!!HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

:thanks3::thanks5::thanks1::thanks1::thanks1::thanks1:

Ok this is one of those ones I will get in trouble on I am honest , My Mom loves the neck and we all have written contracts ( I am a only child ,, does it show ) with all My born children now new husbands and any other fools wishing to challenge the rule OF MOM GETS THE NECK ! ( and it better be to her specifications or else ) Some families and ours is NO exception ( ME I DO THE COOKING AND TAKE ZERO PRISONERS ) pride themselves on the STUFFING and vary that product every year which take it from Me it gets to be a challenge as you get older ! ( I remember certain dinosaurs ok )
Now I have a cousin he is in My view a ummm a ,,,,, ok to put it in Bully terms a Stinky Bum !!!, and fitting he likes the Parsons nose cooked a certain way , and He has never found out what I do to it and i have never said But The Idiot eats it to My enjoyment ,,,,,! it is legal !!
All that said I do not give ANY bones to My guys NONE Cooked not cooked whatever , I do not take the chance , they get enough thru there food and other treats and the Vitamins they gey every day .
There is a thought My cousin and the Parsons Nose and the stuff I feed the ........ NVM will check with Legal first !

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Ok this is one of those ones I will get in trouble on I am honest , My Mom loves the neck and we all have written contracts ( I am a only child ,, does it show ) with all My born children now new husbands and any other fools wishing to challenge the rule OF MOM GETS THE NECK ! ( and it better be to her specifications or else ) Some families and ours is NO exception ( ME I DO THE COOKING AND TAKE ZERO PRISONERS ) pride themselves on the STUFFING and vary that product every year which take it from Me it gets to be a challenge as you get older ! ( I remember certain dinosaurs ok )
Now I have a cousin he is in My view a ummm a ,,,,, ok to put it in Bully terms a Stinky Bum !!!, and fitting he likes the Parsons nose cooked a certain way , and He has never found out what I do to it and i have never said But The Idiot eats it to My enjoyment ,,,,,! it is legal !!
All that said I do not give ANY bones to My guys NONE Cooked not cooked whatever , I do not take the chance , they get enough thru there food and other treats and the Vitamins they gey every day .
There is a thought My cousin and the Parsons Nose and the stuff I feed the ........ NVM will check with Legal first !
Do you mean "the Pope's nose"? that's what we called one of the giblets…I forget which one, never cared for that…
You don't give raw turkey neck?

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Do you mean "the Pope's nose"? that's what we called one of the giblets…I forget which one, never cared for that…
You don't give raw turkey neck?

No We give Zero bones of any type cooked or not no matter to the dogs or any pets , been there done that .
The parson,s nose is the tail of the turkey just above the " Stinky Bum " and it is a triangular pc of mostly bone with very little meat , I do not see the attraction considering the size of it it all , I can see the Neck as a nice piece of .

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm pretty sure you can. But like you, it's my favorite part of the turkey and the only one that's getting that neck (i love them salty with crispy/dry skin..lol) is moi!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I ave never eaten it, but have heard from many it is very tasty...... as for the pups getting it raw -- might be OK Oh, [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]... thoughts?

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I ave never eaten it, but have heard from many it is very tasty...... as for the pups getting it raw -- might be OK Oh, @RiiSi... thoughts?
If you are not a vegetarian, then I must insist you try it! Boil w/the Pope's nose

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I'm pretty sure you can. But like you, it's my favorite part of the turkey and the only one that's getting that neck (i love them salty with crispy/dry skin..lol) is moi!
How do you get the neck crispy?? Have always boiled…do you fry/broil?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Never thought I could share a turkey neck with my boys let alone fight for it, but they do love theirs. I wouldn't know how to prepare it so they can have it all, raw ofcourse.

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Never thought I could share a turkey neck with my boys let alone fight for it, but they do love theirs. I wouldn't know how to prepare it so they can have it all, raw ofcourse.
you don't know what you're missing [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] lol - do you cut it up in small pieces before giving it to them or whole?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
How do you get the neck crispy?? Have always boiled…do you fry/broil?

Roast it with the turkey. But I let it sit in the pan, not the on roasting rack. This way, the turkey juices (and the butter that's slathered all over the turkey) drips onto the neck and makes it beyond delish.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
They will gobble it down and possibly choke if cut to pieces, it's better to give it whole and let them work it in to pieces. I don't think turkey necks are even sold for humans in Finland....so if I want to try I have to fight for one with the boys....

you don't know what you're missing @RiiSi lol - do you cut it up in small pieces before giving it to them or whole?

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Roast it with the turkey. But I let it sit in the pan, not the on roasting rack. This way, the turkey juices (and the butter that's slathered all over the turkey) drips onto the neck and makes it beyond delish.
Well that settles it - not sharing this year!! I'm going to have to try this method, it's making me drool just thinking about it!! :gimmefood:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.