Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I have the house to myself right now. Vegas and Orion are sleeping. My house is a pigsty and I don't want to get out of my jammies and start cleaning. I wish I could get my mother in law to move out. Take all her stuff and go. I'd have my bonus room back (which I want to use as a studio) I'd have my spare bedroom back (which I would use to put Vegas and Orion's kennels in) and we could get our garage back (and maybe get it clean for once). Right now all my photo stuff is in the front room and that room is small already.
But, with the crappy economy...we really need the extra money his mom gives us each month. (my husband supplies materials for builders, and when no one is buying houses...no one is building. AND he works on straight commission)
So, I have too much stuff in a dirty house and I'm feeling overwhelmed. I hate the fact that I will spend so much time cleaning and organizing and she will come home and it will be messy again. (I'm sure THAT'S not exactly how it happens, but it's a lot of house to take care of for one person) I don't know how some of you do it. On the weekends I always have good intentions of cleaning, but I just don't have the energy.
So please, I need that inspiration. Give me words of wisdom!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oh...please tell me this wont get posted on facebook.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No only bulldog stuff goes to facebook [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Some inspiration.... I really don't know what to say, but I know for me, I always feel like a million bucks if I get off my booty and do something, even if it is just for an hour. I have to MAKE myself do this all day, otherwise I would be at the computer non stop!!!!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Since our house is large and our kids are all grown, we've had a revolving door on the front of our house on and off for several years. Kids out of work moving back and forth, we also had a family friend living here for about 9 months after her house burned down. I found you just HAVE to share the tasks with EVERYONE living there. Doesn't your mother-in-law help you? I would have a talk with her, a NICE little "family meeting" and let her know you're feeling overwhelmed and you need some help. We went thru this when one of my sons and his family lived here. I felt like everyone's maid, so I just had to put my foot down and let them know that they HAD to at the very least, clean up after themselves. It all turned out okay and currently no one's here except my husband and myself. So we don't have to worry about it, but believe me, I feel your pain!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
I agree with [MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION]! Even if you casually mention things like, "Hey, can you clean off the kitchen table for me? I'm going to start a load of laundry." Slowly asking casually for a little help here and there may make a difference. But if you are like me, you don't want to ask for help. I've learned I just have to do it - if not I turn into a raging monster because of the messes. My motivation is ... OCD! (I'm not ACTUALLY diagnosed w/OCD but sometimes I really wonder!) I do a lot of things during the week (throw in a load of laundry, pick a room or a specific task to work on) so that the weekends are not COMPLETELY spent cleaning. It's not fair to work all week AND spend my weekend cleaning. Everyone in my house is expected to clean up after themselves, and they (Joe and Julia, who's 12) pitch in wherever I ask them to. Occasionally they whine, but I remind them of the monster that could come out instead so they do whatever it is. It's not easy getting and staying motivated that's for sure. (It took me over an hour to leave the house today, we have some freezing cold tornado-like winds going on!) But it feels good when things are done. (However, it does interfere with EBN time. :p)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Could your MIL help by paying for a cleaning service to come in twice a month, even if it is just the kitchen and bathrooms. I'm a good one to talk because for the last almost 3 years my mother-in-law has been living with us. She is 93 and has NEVER cooked or cleaned. I feel like Gertie's Mom--everyones maid and cook! When we moved here 6+ years ago we had our house built with an apartment in it. My Mom paid for the apartment because she wanted more than a bedroom and bathroom, like a kitchen, living room, laundry room and a pet door and fenced area for her dog. She was 90 when we moved her and her dog here. She passed on at 93 and even before my Mom died we had to move MIL here. Her current caregiver had emptied her small savings account and had run up a huge credit card bill. Sorry, this is turning in to a rant.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], It is just Joe, Vegas and myself, but I can get overwhelmed, I actually get nervous when my house is out of place. Like [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], said, MAKE yourself get started, once you get started and see an improvement, it only motivates me more to do more. There is NOTHING better in the whole wide world in the evenings and my house is clean, I have a shower and I am in my Jammies by 6, sitting watching TV/Movies in my clean house. I also would have a talk with MIL and tell her how overwhelmed you are feeling, maybe tell a little white lie and say it is V & O, and you could really use her help, but really you would be meaning her?? I am so not a lyer, but it would be touchy with your MIL living with you. Maybe she thinks helping chip in with the bills is ALL she has to do??, tell me is that ALL she did when she lived alone is pay the bills? I think NOT, I bet she was cleaning and cooking and doing everything else that we do daily. I have been with Joe for two years and I have never met mine yet, she is a hoarder AND a Cat Hoarder on top of being a house hoarder in NY and won't leave her stuff/animals to come visit here in Florida and Joe told me I would have a nervous breakdown if I went there, so we just email and talk on the phone, and that is so OK with me~!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Well, it is now 5pm. And although I have a long way to go..I feel good about where I'm at. Another of my problems is I can't just pickup and clean surface areas. So far I've disassembled the couch and cushions and vacuumed under them. I pulled the cover off of one to sew a seam that was gaping. I cleaned out both the dog kennels and washed the bedding. Dusted and cleaned off the time-out mantel. Dusted the Tv..shelves and surrounding areas. Vacuumed the air vents and window sills. Did a load of dishes. Cleaned under the stove. Emptied out two of the kitchen drawers (which are still on the counter). Cleaned and polished the nook table. Vacuumed the living room...twice. Did another load of laundry. Made Vegas Stew. Now..I'm ready to sit and chill.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
See you got it off your chest. Then got busy and got a lot accomplished. Feels good doesn't it.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
Next you need to go do that at your mom's house...oh wait you did that once...lol:whew:

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
And...not only that. I :idea:googled how to fix a leaky "single handle delta faucet" and watched a you-tube video and fixed our faucet that has been dripping for months. Took me longer to find a video to watch than it did to find the tools and actually fix it. :bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
And...not only that. I :idea:googled how to fix a leaky "single handle delta faucet" and watched a you-tube video and fixed our faucet that has been dripping for months. Took me longer to find a video to watch than it did to find the tools and actually fix it. :bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo::bravo:

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that it took you so long but that you figured it out!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.