Any runners here?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm planning to do either a 5k or a 10k in October.

The last time I ran for that long was back in high school, which was a very long time ago.

Seeing it's in October, would a 5k be a better idea than a 10k?

Also, any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I don't run now but I used to. I did a 5K before doing a 10K just to build up my confidence and b/c it was a pretty fun event. Have you done either a 5K or a 10K before? if not, do the 5 first, then find a 10K to run afterwards. There's always events going on in the running community so check your local running store for races and such. Make sure you get shoes that are right for you. I would go to a running store and have them fit a pair of shoes for you and then you can run around the store to see how the shoes feel. Also, since it's been a long time since you've run, take it slowly 'cuz if you try to run too much too soon you might injure yourself. Check out if there are any running clubs in your area (if you like running with others). I'm more of a loner so i enjoyed my solo runs.

The longest I ran was a half marathon after training for about 10 months. (and then my hips and knees gave out)! But i enjoyed the time i did run and actually remember that "runner's high" a couple times. Good luck, Jamie!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
OH good luck to you. I'm not a runner so i have no tips. I have been thinking about signing up for a 5k but walking it. I'm not built for running.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
i run about as much as my bulldogs.. ha.. very little.. lol

Lol. I'm with you, running would kill me. I have done a 5K Walk For The Cure Event with my office. It was fun to do as a group, and for a great cause.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Good luck. I used to run a lot upwards of 50 to 75 miles a week many years ago but now all I do is run to the fridge for a beer from time to time. In any event I would start with a 5k and work my way up to 10k if I was to do it again. There are some good training apps for both Apple and Droid platforms that you could use to train. There is even one called Couch to 5k that gets you in shape for running a 5k after not running for years. lol

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I ran in HS as well… and I'm thinking of training for a local 5K they are having here. I will have to take it slow, and run in my brace… I'll be damned if that will stop me even if I have to crawl!!! Good luck to you…

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I run and would say with the race in October it's better to do the 5K first. You will still feel accomplished afterwards but won't be wrecked.

Someone suggested couch to 5k already, and I would recommend that to get you going, although that program is a 8wk program. They also have couch to 10k.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I started yesterday and ran 3 miles… intervals of walking/running every 60 seconds. It hurts a little today, but not brutal.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I ran to the fridge and back to the livingroom. I also ran after Bifi when he decides to ran away from me ha! That counts right?

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I started yesterday and ran 3 miles… intervals of walking/running every 60 seconds. It hurts a little today, but not brutal.

Wow, isn't that 5k? I'm determined to start this week, and to get even more motivated, I'm going to get a fit bit. lol!

The 5k is actually in November so I have some time to train. I'm actually excited!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow, isn't that 5k? I'm determined to start this week, and to get even more motivated, I'm going to get a fit bit. lol!

The 5k is actually in November so I have some time to train. I'm actually excited!

Yes it is… 5K is actually what I'm training for tentatively. I have a FitBit, but I'm also getting another monitor that shows my actual calories burned and heart rate during bootcamp.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Lots of great tips here. Have you been active in other activities? Or are you going from zero activity to running? I would start slow... even if your race was tomorrow you could finish it but the point is how miserable you would feel during and after it... so the secret is to train and eat right! :) I would plan a schedule and include lots of stretching and some minor weights too to get your legs stronger.

I would also do the 5k and then be motivated to find a 10k after. That way you will have another goal to look forward to!

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
i would deff do the 5k first ive been doing them for some time now like 2 years and still cant seem to go to 10k it scares me lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.