Moving to the suburbs...the dogs say they need a yard

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
So I'm looking into buying my first home and it is simultaneously an exciting and gut-wrenching anxiety producing experience.

I'm considering buying in the suburbs because I could get so much more space and a YARD. I love living in the heart of Washington, DC....love it. However, I saw this awesome house that is still close enough that I can take the train into the city....and it has a huge yard with a pool. I'm kind of in love, but the idea of leaving the city scares me.

Just venting a little! I'm all amped up over the experience. Clearly. Every time I think how much I love the city I also think how much I'd love sitting on my private sun deck throwing tennis balls to my dogs....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I HATE the city (born and raised).... I beyond love my yard, deck, patio with wooded area behind us. Deer, rabbit, all kinds of birds, groundhogs, frogs toads.... LOVE it! The pups run all they want and no one to tell us any different ..... aaahhhhh!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I wish my yard was bigger. Would be nice to have 10 to 100 acres of land if you ask me. lol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My words exactly....I would never move back to the city, but I also would of never said that 10 years ago....

I HATE the city (born and raised).... I beyond love my yard, deck, patio with wooded area behind us. Deer, rabbit, all kinds of birds, groundhogs, frogs toads.... LOVE it! The pups run all they want and no one to tell us any different ..... aaahhhhh!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I vote suburbs also. I live on Long Island. I have my own house, yard, etc....and I can drive in or hop on the train and enjoy all the city has to offer. I love having privacy and the boys can run around all they want.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So I'm looking into buying my first home and it is simultaneously an exciting and gut-wrenching anxiety producing experience.

I'm considering buying in the suburbs because I could get so much more space and a YARD. I love living in the heart of Washington, DC....love it. However, I saw this awesome house that is still close enough that I can take the train into the city....and it has a huge yard with a pool. I'm kind of in love, but the idea of leaving the city scares me.

Just venting a little! I'm all amped up over the experience. Clearly. Every time I think how much I love the city I also think how much I'd love sitting on my private sun deck throwing tennis balls to my dogs....

I absolutely understand your situation. I'm in the city (Manhattan) because my hubs works 14 hour days. The idea of adding a commute is crazy. So we live in an area where it takes him less than 15 minutes to walk to work.

We bought a house in April. It's supposed to be a second home. We're in the middle of a major renovation right now but we still go up on the weekends and stay in the finished basement. Even without having access to the upstairs, the decks, or over grown backyard that still needs to be landscaped, well even with all that, I absolutely love it and hate coming back on Sunday.

But even then, I'm still not ready to leave the city. I keep waiting for the day.. just not sure it'll ever come...

Soooo.. good luck!

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
But even then, I'm still not ready to leave the city. I keep waiting for the day.. just not sure it'll ever come...

Soooo.. good luck!

I feel, ya! The city drives me insane sometimes, but something keeps me here, with my things crammed into a small closet and only dreaming of a king sized bed.

I also work crazy hours sometimes and the idea of commuting home after isn't appealing, but the pool, ohhhhh to lay by a pool!!!!

So fun that you have a weekend house to escape to!

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
how you describe it is the best of both worlds. Have your own private yard yet close enough to the city commute and travelwise. I say, good opportunity.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I grew up in the city, and now I live in the middle of the country(in a subdivision)… I absolutely LOVE it!!! In fact if I could I would buy acres and put a house in the middle of it surrounded by the woods!!! I think that living in a house close to the train station would be ideal, but I do understand loving the city life. It's just that the older I've gotten the less I like to be around other people and noise… NOW if I could only get rid of these darn kids!!! Lol :rofl:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I grew up in the city, and now I live in the middle of the country(in a subdivision)… I absolutely LOVE it!!! In fact if I could I would buy acres and put a house in the middle of it surrounded by the woods!!! I think that living in a house close to the train station would be ideal, but I do understand loving the city life. It's just that the older I've gotten the less I like to be around other people and noise… NOW if I could only get rid of these darn kids!!! Lol :rofl:
That is one of the things I am loving about one of the colleges my daughter is looking at. It is in a small town 100 miles from the next large city with a population of less than 15k all with miles and miles of open country all around.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It sounds like you would have the best of both worlds. I would love to have a property and a pool to enjoy. I think you should buy the furballs the house.

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
It sounds like you would have the best of both worlds. I would love to have a property and a pool to enjoy. I think you should buy the furballs the house.

It's so true I'm buying it for the dogs. Half of my must haves for properties pertain to them.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Just make sure you get life vests for the fur balls. They will want to go swimming with you. Gook luck!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It's so true I'm buying it for the dogs. Half of my must haves for properties pertain to them.

I hate to admit it, but having them definitely influenced our decision to buy. But not only to buy, but what to buy.. crazy huh..

We have a community pool that no one uses. We haven't used it yet either, but that's because the fur babies aren't allowed in :tapfoot:.
So we're always at the lake. They go nuts there, they're just so happy.. makes us feel great that they love it so much.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online