Funeral Potatoes

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Great idea! Both recipes sound sooo good! I will have to look at my collection at home. I have alot of really good recipes from my mom and grandma. I love food/eating and cooking! I do recommend Funeral Potatoes. It's a really popular dish so I was able to just google it right now and add it. Traditionally it's served by mormon families after funerals. My famiy isn't mormon and we make for holidays not funerals LOL. Probably has a million calories but I don't care because is sooo sooo good! Theres alot of different variations, this is how we do it.

12 large potatoes or 1 bag (32 ounces) frozen shredded hash browns (I use frozen hash browns)
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped sauteed onion
2 cups crushed corn flakes
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Peel potatoes and boil for 30 minutes, until just tender. Cool and grate into a greased 9- by 13-inch baking dish (or put hash browns into the baking dish). Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine soup, sour cream and cheese. Gently blend into the potatoes. Top with sauteed onions. Combine corn flakes and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle on top. Bake for 30 minutes. (Normally seems to take longer)

Makes 12 servings.

Instead of the cornflake topping I prefer to use french fried onions. I also like to use extra cheese, put some on top of the sauteed onions then top with the french fried onions. Oh I'm hungry now! :)

While you are more than welcome to post recipes here on English Bulldog News, we would also like to invite you to our newly created forum just for recipe sharing! Inspired by the popularity of our recipe swap here at English Bulldog News. Click the link below!

http://tastetestedrecipes.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Re: Recipe swap

Yum Tessa that sounds good! My mom makes a silimar dish camping in her dutch oven and lets it cook for hours. SO good!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Re: Recipe swap

Yum Tessa that sounds good! My mom makes a silimar dish camping in her dutch oven and lets it cook for hours. SO good!

i love camping and cooking on the fire. I will have to try both recipes next time. In the winter here in Florida, we are always looking for great soup recipes, especially if they can go in the crock pot.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Mmmmm...I've eaten this..at a school function. And it was made by a Mormon family! How funny...never knew the name but they were a big hit!! Thanks :drool:

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
THANK YOU I TRIED THESE LAST NIGHT AND THEY WERE A BIG HIT They went well with a raspberry chipolte pork loin YUMMY YUMMY Now how many more miles do I have to walk this week to burn off all those calories?

mariasmith

Nov 30, 2011
US
Funeral potatoes are cheesy au gratin potatoes that LDS Relief Societies frequently serve as part of a dinner prepared for the grieving family to eat after a loved one's funeral. The funeral potatoes are generally served with ham, rolls, salad, cake, and of course, Jell-O. I'm not sure how the tradition evolved, but funeral potatoes are definitely "comfort food."
In my family, we don't eat funeral potatoes just at funerals. We also eat them at parties, especially on Christmas Eve. There are as many versions of funeral potatoes as there are cooks, but of course the best funeral potatoes are the ones my mother makes. Here's her recipe:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Advance prep: bake/thaw potatoes: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: About 8 cups
Ingredients:

• 6 c. diced potatoes
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 2 c. cheddar cheese, grated, divided
  • 1/4 c. grated onion (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3/4 c. crushed cornflakes (optional for crumb topping)
  • Additional 3 T. butter (optional for crumb topping)
Preparation:

1. Prepare the potatoes: Scrub 6-8 medium russet potatoes and wrap in foil. Bake the potatoes in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until they are easily pierced with a fork but not too tender. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and dice them. If you want, you can substitute plain frozen diced (not shredded) potatoes. Let the potatoes thaw before using them in the recipe.
  2. Combine soup, butter, sour cream, cheese, onion, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the diced potatoes and stir gently until combined.
  3. Place potato mixture in a 2-3 quart casserole dish or 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
  4. Optional: Mix 3 tablespoons butter with crushed corn flakes and sprinkle over the potato mixture.
  5. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Note: To make reduced fat funeral potatoes, replace the melted butter with 1/2 soup can milk. Use reduced fat sour cream, or replace the sour cream with nonfat, plain Greek yogurt. Reduced fat cheddar cheese also works well.
Funeral potatoes are cheesy au gratin potatoes that LDS Relief Societies frequently serve as part of a dinner prepared for the grieving family to eat after a loved one's funeral. The funeral potatoes are generally served with ham, rolls, salad, cake, and of course, Jell-O. I'm not sure how the tradition evolved, but funeral potatoes are definitely "comfort food."
In my family, we don't eat funeral potatoes just at funerals. We also eat them at parties, especially on Christmas Eve. There are as many versions of funeral potatoes as there are cooks, but of course the best funeral potatoes are the ones my mother makes. Here's her recipe:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Advance prep: bake/thaw potatoes: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: About 8 cups
Ingredients:

• 6 c. diced potatoes
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 c. sour cream
  • 2 c. cheddar cheese, grated, divided
  • 1/4 c. grated onion (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3/4 c. crushed cornflakes (optional for crumb topping)
  • Additional 3 T. butter (optional for crumb topping)
Preparation:

1. Prepare the potatoes: Scrub 6-8 medium russet potatoes and wrap in foil. Bake the potatoes in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until they are easily pierced with a fork but not too tender. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel and dice them. If you want, you can substitute plain frozen diced (not shredded) potatoes. Let the potatoes thaw before using them in the recipe.
  2. Combine soup, butter, sour cream, cheese, onion, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the diced potatoes and stir gently until combined.
  3. Place potato mixture in a 2-3 quart casserole dish or 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
  4. Optional: Mix 3 tablespoons butter with crushed corn flakes and sprinkle over the potato mixture.
  5. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Note: To make reduced fat funeral potatoes, replace the melted butter with 1/2 soup can milk. Use reduced fat sour cream, or replace the sour cream with nonfat, plain Greek yogurt. Reduced fat cheddar cheese also works well.

food infographics

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.