Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Washer and Dryer.. Can anyone recommend?

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Washer and Dryer.. Can anyone recommend?

Never thought I'd see the day that I went shopping for washers, dryers, fridges, etc. Have always lived in apartments that came with appliances so this is all new to me.

Now I have a laundry room and need to replace the washer/dryer that came with the house. I was waiting for the 4th of July sales and already have my fridge picked out.. SO excited about the fridge too..lol
    But I don't know anything about picking out a washer/dryer.

I can tell you that we'll only be using it once a week, for 2-3 loads of laundry. Just looking for something quiet, not too big, that cleans and dries well without much maintenance.

Any recommendations?

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Washer and Dryer.. Can anyone recommend?

I am totally not a fan of front loaders, they have many bad reviews. We purchased these on black friday:

Sears.com

I LOVE them. The washer is huge, and it drys so well in the spin cycle that they need very little time in the actual dryer. They are quiet, and very efficient. I'm a nerd who actually LIKES doing laundry. I love the extra features it had (esp with Tyson) - bc it has everything from a sanitize mode for his stuff, to a dry clean mode for my work stuff. The dryer also has a steam option. I love love them!

Since your not going to be using them alot, maybe a lower version of these? Smaller? I got the biggest one. Capacity wise - due to dog beds, blankets, etc..

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

4. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

When I had to get my washing machine repaired last year I asked the repairman which washing machine he recommended b/c mine is on its last couple years of life, and he said the brand Speed Queen is very reliable. He also recommended a top load vs. front load but I cannot tell you why and need to research that myself.

here's a link where there's a review on the Speed Queen:4 Best Washers - July 2015 - BestReviews

6. Likes nycbullymama, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I am totally not a fan of front loaders, they have many bad reviews. We purchased these on black friday:

Sears.com

I LOVE them. The washer is huge, and it drys so well in the spin cycle that they need very little time in the actual dryer. They are quiet, and very efficient. I'm a nerd who actually LIKES doing laundry. I love the extra features it had (esp with Tyson) - bc it has everything from a sanitize mode for his stuff, to a dry clean mode for my work stuff. The dryer also has a steam option. I love love them!

Since your not going to be using them alot, maybe a lower version of these? Smaller? I got the biggest one. Capacity wise - due to dog beds, blankets, etc..
    I haven't thought about a sanitize mode.. hmm. I guess I should look for washers that include it. Thanks for bringing this up.

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    When I had to get my washing machine repaired last year I asked the repairman which washing machine he recommended b/c mine is on its last couple years of life, and he said the brand Speed Queen is very reliable. He also recommended a top load vs. front load but I cannot tell you why and need to research that myself.

here's a link where there's a review on the Speed Queen:4 Best Washers - July 2015 - BestReviews
    I've never heard of Speed Queen but will definitely look into this brand.
    Checking out the link now. Thank you.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

just having bought a house we were hoping to not have to use a laundromat for our pillowtop on our bed. Washer that was left by the previous owners was completely big enough for this thing which is the size of 3 comforters queen size. I would buy something that can accommodate your biggest item you need to wash. No one likes going to the laundromat. Lola wets the bed twice a year. sigh.

9. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    just having bought a house we were hoping to not have to use a laundromat for our pillowtop on our bed. Washer that was left by the previous owners was completely big enough for this thing which is the size of 3 comforters queen size. I would buy something that can accommodate your biggest item you need to wash. No one likes going to the laundromat. Lola wets the bed twice a year. sigh.
    It's interesting you say this.. I keep going back and forth about washer size because of our HUGE comforter.
    The one time I washed it, the dryer burned a small part of it. If I hadn't taken it out in time, it would of burned the entire thing. I'm been dry cleaning it ever since.
    Now, I'm wondering if I would dare try washing it again. If so, I would have to do what you mentioned and buy a rather large washer and dryer.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    yes, size does matter when it comes to washing machines! funny you mention this b/c I was just at the Laundromat this past Saturday after one of the boys peed on my king size comforter. It's too big to stuff into my washing machine.

12. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I have GE Front loaders xtra large capacity. I have had them about 2 1/2 yrs without a problem. I make sure I maintain the gasket each time I do a load of laundry. With these washers, they have a giant gasket in the front of the washer that I keep clean after each wash. I wipe it out with a cleaning sponge to remove the hair(dog of course) and I dry the plastic on the inside of the door after I am done for the day. It looks like a brand new washer. I also use tide washing machine cleaner every now and then, especially in the summer. One hint if you get a front loader, always keep the door cracked after your done using it so you don't get a mildew smell and the drum can dry out. The dryer I just vacuum the lint screen area once in a while to prevent build up. I had a dryer fire once and it isn't pretty. Personally I would stay away from Maytag. Most people I know have had maintenance issues with them.
    My smooshy face boy!

14. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

In our townhouse I bought top of the line Kenmore front load and LOVED the hell out of those things.... I miss them. We currently have GE mid-road and they are good, no real complaints, but I really would prefer to have the Kenmore --- it had steam features on the dryer and the washers had more cycles to select and get a better wash for certain items.... also, the drum/capacity was more in the Kenmores. I bought them back in 2010, it was 2 grand for the pair, but worth it. The set that cam with our new house, are the GE, and I think the cost was roughly 1500
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

16. Likes nycbullymama, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I would absolutely recommend a Front loader. They are huge and as long as you keep the gasket clean, you won't have any trouble. Most of the bad reviews are due to the gasket leaking. If you don't keep it clean you will have a problem.
    My smooshy face boy!

18. Likes 2BullyMama, nycbullymama, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    In our townhouse I bought top of the line Kenmore front load and LOVED the hell out of those things.... I miss them. We currently have GE mid-road and they are good, no real complaints, but I really would prefer to have the Kenmore --- it had steam features on the dryer and the washers had more cycles to select and get a better wash for certain items.... also, the drum/capacity was more in the Kenmores. I bought them back in 2010, it was 2 grand for the pair, but worth it. The set that cam with our new house, are the GE, and I think the cost was roughly 1500
    Mine are GE and was $2200. It depends on the model you buy. Mine has sanitize and steam and all that. I love mine soooo much. One load of laundry replaces the 2-3 I had to do in my old stackable washer and dryer.
    My smooshy face boy!

20. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

We have the Kenmore front loaders and love them, and they work well. As @TyTysmom said the early front loader models did suck, as we had some, they were Maytag and after awhile the gasket got nasty and they smelt, but with the one we have now, no problems and we have had them for at least 5 years now.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

22. Likes TyTysmom, nycbullymama liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads