Washer and Dryer.. Can anyone recommend?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have LG front loader and no complaints, going on 10 years of a lot of loads of laundry between lots of kids, bulldogs and puppies!

They are large capacity tough, and I did but the storage drawers to go under them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I do want to say if you're not going to use the much you should probably go with a Toploader because the front loaders will get a smell if you do not clean the rubbers.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think I need to go with a front loader so I can stack them. My laundry room isn't that large. There's a big sink in there, along with a washer/dryer from the 80's.
The washer and dryer are small, but they still take up the entire space. I can put in a smaller sink to gain some footage, but I don't think it's worth it for us..

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sorry I'm late to this…

We got the LG Steam front loaders, and I do a TON of research on consumer reports before I buy any expensive household items. Of course you can still buy a lemon, but I LOVE my washer/dryer… I leave my door open on the washer after I do laundry, and I have never had the moldy smell issue that some people complain about. I have noticed a HUGE saving in our water bill since using the front loader, and I do at least 5 loads of laundry a week.

The steam option is wonderful if you have many dry clean only items…

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Chris sent me a link last night (he was up late researching washers and dryers) to the LG high efficiency front loaders with steam. He said "this is what we want provided we have the space".

these are his picks:
LG ElectronicsModel # WM8000HVA for the washer and LG ElectronicsModel # DLEX8000V for the dryer. Probably similar to what you have.

We have a ton of items that are dry clean only, so I'm very interested in the steam option.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think I need to go with a front loader so I can stack them. My laundry room isn't that large. There's a big sink in there, along with a washer/dryer from the 80's.
The washer and dryer are small, but they still take up the entire space. I can put in a smaller sink to gain some footage, but I don't think it's worth it for us..
Mine are stacked. Just some advice, do not get the storage bin for under the washer if you are stacking. I am 5'6" and I would never be able to reach the dryer if I had it.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Mine are stacked. Just some advice, do not get the storage bin for under the washer if you are stacking. I am 5'6" and I would never be able to reach the dryer if I had it.

Thanks for the tip.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I didn't know that Kenmore washers/dryers are either LG or Whirlpool. I think the LG model I linked is the same as the Kenmore model some of you guys have.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't know that Kenmore washers/dryers are either LG or Whirlpool. I think the LG model I linked is the same as the Kenmore model some of you guys have.
Major brands do operate under different names for a middle of the road market. When we were looking for a new BBQ, we wanted a Weber. They are expensive. Through research I discovered that Ducane is actually a name manufactured under Weber. I got the Cadillac of BBQ's for what I would have paid for a basic Weber and it is the best BBQ I have ever had. I simply love it. It is always good to research before buying.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

how about that?? I always wonder if they appliance industry did what the car industry does -- just smacks a different name on the same car

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I know that Ikea does that with their kitchen appliances- they're made in the US by Whirlpool.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
how about that?? I always wonder if they appliance industry did what the car industry does -- just smacks a different name on the same car
Yup and I'm no fool, my BBQ doesn't need to say Weber on it if I am saving money. Most times they will be good quality products. Just check consumer reviews.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great if you do get the LG, like I said the amount of laundry I've done with mine would be equivalent to two people in 50 years, when I do 2 loads of laundry a day with puppy litters minimum!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We bought LG brand front load washer and dryer (and fridge) when we moved here from the UK 5 years ago. I had a Whirlpool top loader when we lived in the US before and hated the thing. It would twist up my duvet covers into a big mess every single time. I was really pleased when the US finally offered front loaders (and lovely big ones too) and I have been impressed with LG. We got the drawers also and they really save your back.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I like the size of the LG, would be nice to wash our comforter in it. They charge 30 bucks a shot for dry cleaning it here.
And the steam option is wonderful. If we save even half on our dry cleaning bill, the machines would pay for themselves in no time.

So I spoke with Chris, looks like we're going with the LG's. If I don't have enough room side by side (and I doubt I will without changing sinks, we'll stack).

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.