Washer and Dryer.. Can anyone recommend?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Never thought I'd see the day that I went shopping for washers, dryers, fridges, etc. Have always lived in apartments that came with appliances so this is all new to me.

Now I have a laundry room and need to replace the washer/dryer that came with the house. I was waiting for the 4th of July sales and already have my fridge picked out.. SO excited about the fridge too..lol
But I don't know anything about picking out a washer/dryer.

I can tell you that we'll only be using it once a week, for 2-3 loads of laundry. Just looking for something quiet, not too big, that cleans and dries well without much maintenance.

Any recommendations?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I am totally not a fan of front loaders, they have many bad reviews. We purchased these on black friday:

Sears.com

I LOVE them. The washer is huge, and it drys so well in the spin cycle that they need very little time in the actual dryer. They are quiet, and very efficient. I'm a nerd who actually LIKES doing laundry. I love the extra features it had (esp with Tyson) - bc it has everything from a sanitize mode for his stuff, to a dry clean mode for my work stuff. The dryer also has a steam option. I love love them!

Since your not going to be using them alot, maybe a lower version of these? Smaller? I got the biggest one. Capacity wise - due to dog beds, blankets, etc..

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When I had to get my washing machine repaired last year I asked the repairman which washing machine he recommended b/c mine is on its last couple years of life, and he said the brand Speed Queen is very reliable. He also recommended a top load vs. front load but I cannot tell you why and need to research that myself.

here's a link where there's a review on the Speed Queen:4 Best Washers - July 2015 - BestReviews

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am totally not a fan of front loaders, they have many bad reviews. We purchased these on black friday:

Sears.com

I LOVE them. The washer is huge, and it drys so well in the spin cycle that they need very little time in the actual dryer. They are quiet, and very efficient. I'm a nerd who actually LIKES doing laundry. I love the extra features it had (esp with Tyson) - bc it has everything from a sanitize mode for his stuff, to a dry clean mode for my work stuff. The dryer also has a steam option. I love love them!

Since your not going to be using them alot, maybe a lower version of these? Smaller? I got the biggest one. Capacity wise - due to dog beds, blankets, etc..

I haven't thought about a sanitize mode.. hmm. I guess I should look for washers that include it. Thanks for bringing this up.

When I had to get my washing machine repaired last year I asked the repairman which washing machine he recommended b/c mine is on its last couple years of life, and he said the brand Speed Queen is very reliable. He also recommended a top load vs. front load but I cannot tell you why and need to research that myself.

here's a link where there's a review on the Speed Queen:4 Best Washers - July 2015 - BestReviews

I've never heard of Speed Queen but will definitely look into this brand.
Checking out the link now. Thank you.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
just having bought a house we were hoping to not have to use a laundromat for our pillowtop on our bed. Washer that was left by the previous owners was completely big enough for this thing which is the size of 3 comforters queen size. I would buy something that can accommodate your biggest item you need to wash. No one likes going to the laundromat. Lola wets the bed twice a year. sigh.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
just having bought a house we were hoping to not have to use a laundromat for our pillowtop on our bed. Washer that was left by the previous owners was completely big enough for this thing which is the size of 3 comforters queen size. I would buy something that can accommodate your biggest item you need to wash. No one likes going to the laundromat. Lola wets the bed twice a year. sigh.

It's interesting you say this.. I keep going back and forth about washer size because of our HUGE comforter.
The one time I washed it, the dryer burned a small part of it. If I hadn't taken it out in time, it would of burned the entire thing. I'm been dry cleaning it ever since.
Now, I'm wondering if I would dare try washing it again. If so, I would have to do what you mentioned and buy a rather large washer and dryer.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

yes, size does matter when it comes to washing machines! funny you mention this b/c I was just at the Laundromat this past Saturday after one of the boys peed on my king size comforter. It's too big to stuff into my washing machine.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have GE Front loaders xtra large capacity. I have had them about 2 1/2 yrs without a problem. I make sure I maintain the gasket each time I do a load of laundry. With these washers, they have a giant gasket in the front of the washer that I keep clean after each wash. I wipe it out with a cleaning sponge to remove the hair(dog of course) and I dry the plastic on the inside of the door after I am done for the day. It looks like a brand new washer. I also use tide washing machine cleaner every now and then, especially in the summer. One hint if you get a front loader, always keep the door cracked after your done using it so you don't get a mildew smell and the drum can dry out. The dryer I just vacuum the lint screen area once in a while to prevent build up. I had a dryer fire once and it isn't pretty. Personally I would stay away from Maytag. Most people I know have had maintenance issues with them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In our townhouse I bought top of the line Kenmore front load and LOVED the hell out of those things.... I miss them. We currently have GE mid-road and they are good, no real complaints, but I really would prefer to have the Kenmore --- it had steam features on the dryer and the washers had more cycles to select and get a better wash for certain items.... also, the drum/capacity was more in the Kenmores. I bought them back in 2010, it was 2 grand for the pair, but worth it. The set that cam with our new house, are the GE, and I think the cost was roughly 1500

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would absolutely recommend a Front loader. They are huge and as long as you keep the gasket clean, you won't have any trouble. Most of the bad reviews are due to the gasket leaking. If you don't keep it clean you will have a problem.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
In our townhouse I bought top of the line Kenmore front load and LOVED the hell out of those things.... I miss them. We currently have GE mid-road and they are good, no real complaints, but I really would prefer to have the Kenmore --- it had steam features on the dryer and the washers had more cycles to select and get a better wash for certain items.... also, the drum/capacity was more in the Kenmores. I bought them back in 2010, it was 2 grand for the pair, but worth it. The set that cam with our new house, are the GE, and I think the cost was roughly 1500
Mine are GE and was $2200. It depends on the model you buy. Mine has sanitize and steam and all that. I love mine soooo much. One load of laundry replaces the 2-3 I had to do in my old stackable washer and dryer.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have the Kenmore front loaders and love them, and they work well. As [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] said the early front loader models did suck, as we had some, they were Maytag and after awhile the gasket got nasty and they smelt, but with the one we have now, no problems and we have had them for at least 5 years now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have GE Front loaders xtra large capacity. I have had them about 2 1/2 yrs without a problem. I make sure I maintain the gasket each time I do a load of laundry. With these washers, they have a giant gasket in the front of the washer that I keep clean after each wash. I wipe it out with a cleaning sponge to remove the hair(dog of course) and I dry the plastic on the inside of the door after I am done for the day. It looks like a brand new washer. I also use tide washing machine cleaner every now and then, especially in the summer. One hint if you get a front loader, always keep the door cracked after your done using it so you don't get a mildew smell and the drum can dry out. The dryer I just vacuum the lint screen area once in a while to prevent build up. I had a dryer fire once and it isn't pretty. Personally I would stay away from Maytag. Most people I know have had maintenance issues with them.

Good point Rosalie.... I keep the door open and the drawer for the products open too when not in use -- the mold that can collets is gross.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would absolutely recommend a Front loader. They are huge and as long as you keep the gasket clean, you won't have any trouble. Most of the bad reviews are due to the gasket leaking. If you don't keep it clean you will have a problem.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good point Rosalie.... I keep the door open and the drawer for the products open too when not in use -- the mold that can collets is gross.
Have you ever tried the tide washing machine cleaner? I love it, you throw it in, set for normal wash and let the cleaner do it's thing. It smells phenomenal!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.