cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Funny you say that about King. I can't get through Duma Key no matter how hard I try. Been reading it for the last maybe 10 years and I'm not even halfway through. Like you, it's the only one.
@cali baker and everyone else; Have you read "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson? One word describes it for me "chilling".

too funny...I have that Duma Key book too and I haven't been able to finish it yet either. It's only been like 2 years for me tho. In fact, it's in my "books to donate" bin!

Have not yet read The Lottery but it sounds like something I would like. :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
too funny...I have that Duma Key book too and I haven't been able to finish it yet either. It's only been like 2 years for me tho. In fact, it's in my "books to donate" bin!

Have not yet read The Lottery but it sounds like something I would like. :)

lol.. yeah, definitely not one of those books i'd ever recommend.

The Lottery is a short story. I don't usually say this but I will, drop everything else you're reading, and get The Lottery, it's only about 20-30 pages but so worth the read.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
The Lottery is one of my favorite short stories. I first read it in middle school and it has stuck with me ever since.

I am a huge fan of Stephan King (love most of his older books and short stories!) but his recent stuff has not appealed to me. Until I read 11-22-63. I couldn't stop reading! I am still not sure of what I think about the ending but I do love books that keep me thinking about them even after I have finished.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Y'all (how about that from a Brit!) have proved me a liar. I didn't get through Duma Key either!!! I had completely forgotten all about it. I think my all time favourite King books are The Green Mile and of course, The Stand. I will look for The Lottery for sure.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I just checked out The Hangman's Daughter [MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] :)

The library didn't have The Lottery so I will need to wait to get that one. Thanks for some more great recs!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Just ordered The Lottery for my Nook but they don't have The Hangman's Daughter. I think that is either hard copy or Kindle only so will look for it.

One book I thought was fantastic was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (Non-Fiction) I will read it again if I ever get caught up. The film was just so so.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just ordered The Lottery for my Nook but they don't have The Hangman's Daughter. I think that is either hard copy or Kindle only so will look for it.

One book I thought was fantastic was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (Non-Fiction) I will read it again if I ever get caught up. The film was just so so.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was a delicious read...lol.. Just loved it. Such an eccentric bunch of characters, you can't help but love them. I went to Savanah because of the book...lol

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Okay, I'm going to put this one on my list as well. I remember watching the movie...thought it was just "okay" but had no idea there was a book. It sounds intriguing!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was a delicious read...lol.. Just loved it. Such an eccentric bunch of characters, you can't help but love them. I went to Savanah because of the book...lol

Yes! We drove by the house when we went. Just had to see it. Great book.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I just checked out The Hangman's Daughter @Biogirl71 :)

The library didn't have The Lottery so I will need to wait to get that one. Thanks for some more great recs!

Awesome! You will have to let me know what you thought of it!

Also wanted to add that I also liked reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (years ago) and the book is WAY better than the movie. The movie...not so good.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Awesome! You will have to let me know what you thought of it!

Also wanted to add that I also liked reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (years ago) and the book is WAY better than the movie. The movie...not so good.

OH I agree… LOVE the book, one of my favs!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I haven't read the series but I know it is highly regarded. Didn't they make a TV show based off the books?
Now that you mentioned it they did back in 2007. It only lasted one season. I went back and looked at it and read a few chapters online. Seemed ok at first but not my cup of tea. I got bored very quickly.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.