Good Reads

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jim Breuer is HYSTERICAL! I never knew who he was until just recently when my husband and I happened to catch part of his new comedy routine on tv...his whole act is about the trials and tribulations of parenting and it is the funniest stuff I have ever heard from a comedian (except Brian Regan and Ellen).

I could use a good book to read...I'll check some of the above out!! Thx for the suggestions

Look uo on Youtube ... Breuer ' why mothers need their sleep! '. Lmao every time I watch it

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Now that we are in the (bull) dog days of summer, how's everyone reading coming along? [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION], did you start the decluttering book yet? I picked up where I left off the other day and right afterwards ended up donating 4 huge bags of clothes I no longer wanted!! :)

I just checked out the Hunger Games (finally) and am enjoying it very much. Also checked out 10% Happier by Dan Harris which is a self-help book discussing meditation, and a suspense novel called Summer of Storms by Judith Kelman. Also read a couple Dean Koontz books which i found to be entertaining and easy reads (Watchers and I forgot the title of the other one, lol).

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Now that we are in the (bull) dog days of summer, how's everyone reading coming along? @nycbullymama, did you start the decluttering book yet? I picked up where I left off the other day and right afterwards ended up donating 4 huge bags of clothes I no longer wanted!! :)

I just checked out the Hunger Games (finally) and am enjoying it very much. Also checked out 10% Happier by Dan Harris which is a self-help book discussing meditation, and a suspense novel called Summer of Storms by Judith Kelman. Also read a couple Dean Koontz books which i found to be entertaining and easy reads (Watchers and I forgot the title of the other one, lol).

I think I'm up to page 50. Just read how before I start, I need to ask myself a few questions.. then ask myself about the answers to those questions and on and on. I'm really not in the mood to be so introspective right now..lol

I use to love Dean Koontz. But after reading a few of his books, I realized they're all the same. They kinda all meshed into each other for me. I still enjoy him now and then, like you said, easy reads... but I can only take him in small doses these days.

I'm about to start "The Russian Debutante's Handbook" by Gary Shteyngart.

Years ago, I read "Abusurdistan" by him ... OMG- comedic genius.
Read the reviews Absurdistan: A Novel: Gary Shteyngart: 9780812971675: Amazon.com: Books
I loved it.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I think I'm up to page 50. Just read how before I start, I need to ask myself a few questions.. then ask myself about the answers to those questions and on and on. I'm really not in the mood to be so introspective right now..lol

I use to love Dean Koontz. But after reading a few of his books, I realized they're all the same. They kinda all meshed into each other for me. I still enjoy him now and then, like you said, easy reads... but I can only take him in small doses these days.

I'm about to start "The Russian Debutante's Handbook" by Gary Shteyngart.

Years ago, I read "Abusurdistan" by him ... OMG- comedic genius.
Read the reviews Absurdistan: A Novel: Gary Shteyngart: 9780812971675: Amazon.com: Books
I loved it.

I am with you! that's why i'm only half way done with the de-cluttering book and i've had it for about 6 months now. I tend to "skim" quite a bit too.

Agreed about Koontz! i usually will p/u one of his books when i'm "in between" books, thinking about what to read next.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I also agree with the Koontz assessment. I enjoyed his earlier books but then they all started to feel the same. I did enjoy the first four books of the Odd Thomas series. I did want to try reading him again after many years break so I have a few on my Kindle including one called Innocent. I haven't started it yet.

I recently read The Martian by Andy Weir. I really enjoyed it! It kept me up late a couple of nights. In October, the movie comes out with Matt Damon and looks awesome.

Another book that kept me intrigued was The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Potzsch. The author is a direct descendant from a lineage of famous hangmen in Germany.

If anyone has nostalgia for the 80s and video games, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is amazingly fun. It has been my book of the year and I keep re-reading it because it is such a fun read.

I was blazing my way through the Outlander books and got Outlandered out. I am stuck halfway in An Echo in the Bone and can't seem to get back into it. If anyone has any words of encouragement or a tantalizing spoiler to help me out...that would be okay! :whistle:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION], I too got "Outlander'ed out"! I only made it through Drums of Autumn and then I needed a break. I still think the first book was the best!

The Hangman's Daughter sounds interesting. Will have to see if my library carries that one. The one Koontz book that I read which didn't feel too much like his others was one called From The Corner of His Eye.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I finished my 14 book series about a month ago and haven't had any luck finding anything else to get in to. I have started a few but I got bored with them quickly. Guess I am too picky. Lol

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] - Agree, the first Outlander book is still my favorite! Thanks for the Koontz recommendation - I will have to check that one out.
@Marine91 - What was the series called that you just finished? It sounds epic with 14 books!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] - Agree, the first Outlander book is still my favorite! Thanks for the Koontz recommendation - I will have to check that one out.
@Marine91 - What was the series called that you just finished? It sounds epic with 14 books!
It was a fantasy series called The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I have all the titles posted earlier in this thread.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It was a fantasy series called The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I have all the titles posted earlier in this thread.

Oops, missed your post with the name of the series and book titles. :ashamed: Thanks! I have heard of it before and it was very highly praised.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Oops, missed your post with the name of the series and book titles. :ashamed: Thanks! I have heard of it before and it was very highly praised.
The first book took me a bit of time to get in to but mid way through I loved it. I think I read the last 3 books in 2 weeks.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Ok, totally out of my usual genre, but I read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett at the insistence of a friend.

Was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It flows beautifully, I couldn't put it down. Another thing I liked about it is it felt like historical fiction. If you can call the south in the 60's "historical" lol.
Even if you saw the film, I'd still recommend reading the book.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I finished my 14 book series about a month ago and haven't had any luck finding anything else to get in to. I have started a few but I got bored with them quickly. Guess I am too picky. Lol

My husband and I both like Lee Child's books (about an ex-military guy) also Vince Flynn's (CIA). Both should be read in order. Nearly finished all the Vince Flynn books so we will have to find another series-type author soon. I have a stack of books to go through in the meantime though so no panic! I really liked the late Michael Crichton as all his books were different. Will have to have another go at 11-22-63. It is the only Stephen King book I had a problem reading. For some reason I just couldn't get into it and I usually zip right through his books.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My husband and I both like Lee Child's books (about an ex-military guy) also Vince Flynn's (CIA). Both should be read in order. Nearly finished all the Vince Flynn books so we will have to find another series-type author soon. I have a stack of books to go through in the meantime though so no panic! I really liked the late Michael Crichton as all his books were different. Will have to have another go at 11-22-63. It is the only Stephen King book I had a problem reading. For some reason I just couldn't get into it and I usually zip right through his books.

Funny you say that about King. I can't get through Duma Key no matter how hard I try. Been reading it for the last maybe 10 years and I'm not even halfway through. Like you, it's the only one.
@cali baker and everyone else; Have you read "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson? One word describes it for me "chilling".

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4729]Chumly[/MENTION]1, hope you will give 11/22/63 another try. That was one of the best book recommendations I've gotten in a long time! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.