JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Yay.. so glad you liked it!

I think you should read the first book of The Hunger Games next! I have no doubt you're going to love it.
Amazon.com: The Hunger Games (Book 1) (9780439023528): Suzanne Collins: Books

Another one I forgot to mention earlier is "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. OMG, another book I couldn't put down.
The Passage: A Novel (Book One of The Passage Trilogy) - Kindle edition by Justin Cronin. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Also (my last recommendation..lol) The "Dark Tower" saga by Stephen King. The first book is called "The Gunslinger". I started reading them when I was a teenager and he hadn't finished the series yet. I was in my mid 20's by the time he was done. There's eight books total and each and every one is an excellent book.
The Dark Tower - Books

I agree, you have to read the Hunger Games [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

My friend recommended The Passage to me a few years ago. I still have yet to read it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I agree, you have to read the Hunger Games @cali baker

My friend recommended The Passage to me a few years ago. I still have yet to read it.

I read The Passage when it first came out about 5 years ago while on a beach vacation..lol. It's a huge book and I would not recommend it.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Okay, so I just now finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King...BRILLIANT!!! :2thumbs: Thanku guys for the recommendation, @Donnam and @nycbullymama. I could not stop reading and now it's past my bedtime but I made it thru the 800+ pages in 1 week's time.
@JennieS, did u check the book out yet? run, don't walk and start reading! :yes:

I'm glad you liked it! I was so sad when it was over, I had withdrawal symptoms. The bad thing about reading a great book is that it's a hard act to follow. You read it pretty fast! I'm loving The Outlander. I think I'll check out The Passage and I want to read ​Girl On A Train.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks for more recommendations!! As i was falling asleep last night I was thinking what am I going to read next? I think I will read Hunger Games :)

I know what you mean about "withdrawal" [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION]! I'm glad you're liking Outlander...that was another one of my favorites this year.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
This summer, the library has been my best friend (after the bulldogs of course). I love reading and I just completed a book called All The Light You Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Beautifully written and hard to put down. If you enjoy historical fiction, this may be up your alley.

Anyone else read this book?

Other ones I've recently read and enjoyed:

Outlander (this is a series of books but the 1st one was my all time favorite)
Moving Day by Jonathan Stone (thriller/mystery)

the next book I'll start is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini who wrote the Kite Runner.

What have you read lately and can recommend? I'm always looking for a great book to read! :reading:

All the Light We Cannot See is actually on my reading list. I like to read young adult, historical fiction to see which books to stock in my future kid's library. Recent historical fiction books I recommend are My Family for the War by Anne C. Voorhoeve, Run Boy Run by Uri Orlev, and Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. Awesome reads. Run Boy Run is actually a true story which makes it even better!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Has anybody been reading anything good lately?

Today I went to the 'brary and picked up two books from author Louise Penny (rec by [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION]): Bury Your Dead and The Cruelest Month. Donna, these don't need to be read in any order, do they, b/c I didn't p/u her first book.

Also got a copy of Mercy by Jodi Picoult--I don't think I've ever read any of her books before.

I was going to get the Hunger Games but couldn't find the dang thing as I think it was in the teen Sci Fi section and the main library didn't have it.
[MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION], I tried to finish The Passage but I'm afraid to say, it just wasn't jiving with me...The first part was quite good...had me reading it every day but when I got to the part with the "colony" and the new set of characters, well...i soon got quite lost and not as interested in the characters any longer...

But that's okay, b/c that's what this thread is about--checking out and trying out, new authors and titles that we normally never would have heard of on our own, perhaps.

Happy reading!! :summer::reading:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Henny [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], I don't think you really have to read Louise Penny's novels in order. I did, because I always try to start a series at the first and you can just order them off of Amazon without worrying about availability. So I'm not sure if there are things you won't get. If you like them, just stick to the earlier books before the later ones. I'm still reading The Outlander. I like it a lot, but I'm finding it a little easier to put down than I would if I hadn't seen the series on Starz. The series did follow the book very well.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
ok, thanks [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION]. As it turned out I got book #3 and #6 of the Inspector Gamache series. I can't wait to dig in and start reading!

I never did watch the Outlander series which I'm glad for b/c I really had no idea how the story would unfold so that kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to keep reading the book.

I don't know, after reading 11/22/63, is there another book that will top its awesomeness? :ponder:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I don't know [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]!! 11-22-63 was so good I literally devoured it and couldn't put it down. I think it's my favorite Stephen King book ever and I've liked a lot of his books. Maybe I'll wait a year or so and read it again!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Has anybody been reading anything good lately?

Today I went to the 'brary and picked up two books from author Louise Penny (rec by @Donnam): Bury Your Dead and The Cruelest Month. Donna, these don't need to be read in any order, do they, b/c I didn't p/u her first book.

Also got a copy of Mercy by Jodi Picoult--I don't think I've ever read any of her books before.

I was going to get the Hunger Games but couldn't find the dang thing as I think it was in the teen Sci Fi section and the main library didn't have it.
@nycbullymama, I tried to finish The Passage but I'm afraid to say, it just wasn't jiving with me...The first part was quite good...had me reading it every day but when I got to the part with the "colony" and the new set of characters, well...i soon got quite lost and not as interested in the characters any longer...

But that's okay, b/c that's what this thread is about--checking out and trying out, new authors and titles that we normally never would have heard of on our own, perhaps.

Happy reading!! :summer::reading:

The second part could of been a different book. I was also like WTF happened? But it does get very interesting. I can see why it slowed down for you though so yeah, time to move on to something else.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The second part could of been a different book. I was also like WTF happened? But it does get very interesting. I can see why it slowed down for you though so yeah, time to move on to something else.

oh no...now you have me curious about it! and I really want to know what happened to **Spoiiler Alert**....... Amy. :confused:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
oh no...now you have me curious about it! and I really want to know what happened to **Spoiiler Alert**....... Amy. :confused:

It doesn't tell you in the first book- it's a trilogy. Only two of the books are out though..

My latest purchase is "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing"
Have heard good things about it and I'm so looking forward to organizing my closets (and life lol).

Link: Amazon.com: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing (9781607747307): Marie Kondo: Books

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It doesn't tell you in the first book- it's a trilogy. Only two of the books are out though..

My latest purchase is "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing"
Have heard good things about it and I'm so looking forward to organizing my closets (and life lol).

Link: Amazon.com: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing (9781607747307): Marie Kondo: Books

LOL, I have that one!!! I didn't finish it yet...but I like what I've read so far :)

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I have not read a book in YEARS! I have a pile I want to get to, but never seem to find the time.

Last one I really enjoyed was 'Wicked' and Jim Breuer's 'I'm not high'
Jim Breuer is HYSTERICAL! I never knew who he was until just recently when my husband and I happened to catch part of his new comedy routine on tv...his whole act is about the trials and tribulations of parenting and it is the funniest stuff I have ever heard from a comedian (except Brian Regan and Ellen).

I could use a good book to read...I'll check some of the above out!! Thx for the suggestions

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.