ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
@Donnam, I did think about a Kindle before but I really do not mind going to the library. The one in my city is a beautiful old building and I feel like I'm stepping into the past when I go there. Maybe one day I will get myself one of those E-reader-thingy's though b/c I like its convenience when traveling vs. carrying around several big books.

I'm going to definitely check out that 11-22-63 book after I'm done w/my current book (I checked today and it's available at the library...woohoo)!! :)

For years I didn't even think about getting an e-reader, but they closed our Borders bookstore here in town. We only have Books-a-million which I hate!!! So I really had NO choice except to order the books off Amazon, and I have to say I absolutely LOVE having so many books and the fact that it's good for the environment. I had so many books that I was donating to goodwill (or giving away which I don't really mind).

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I do want to read Girl on a Train but I need to place a hold on this at the 'brary b/c it's so popular. Just like All The Light We Cannot See...I had to hunt several libraries before I could get on their shortest wait list! :w00t:

Henny I forgot to add that you can "rent" books from the library too on the e-readers. I only did it once, but you basically have the book on your reader for a period of time and then it expires… that way you can get popular books w/out the wait!!!

Here is the link to the BookBub… I get an e-mail daily w/their deals!!!

https://www.bookbub.com/home/

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
For years I didn't even think about getting an e-reader, but they closed our Borders bookstore here in town. We only have Books-a-million which I hate!!! So I really had NO choice except to order the books off Amazon, and I have to say I absolutely LOVE having so many books and the fact that it's good for the environment. I had so many books that I was donating to goodwill (or giving away which I don't really mind).

I like not having so many real books in the house. We used to have bookshelves full of books everywhere in the house and still not enough room for new ones. We finally got rid of all but a couple of shelves of books we really wanted to keep (read again). We have a Half-Price Bookstore that will buy books, but you don't get **** for them. Since I've gotten the Kindle, I read a lot more, maybe because I can shop anytime! I also like that you can read samples before you buy. My husband is kind of like Todd, he'd rather have a real book, but sometimes he reads one on the iPad.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=4996]Donna[/MENTION], we had the same problem- out of room for books. After awhile, we started packing them up and putting them in storage. That was why we originally got kindles.

We got our first one about 5 years ago. At first, I didn't like it at all. But after giving it a real chance (and getting a lighted case) I fell in love. I swore it was the best invention since the internet..lol..

My second Kindle is the Kindle white. I found it a little awkward to use at first, but got used to it fast enough. I really appreciate the fact that I didn't need a separate light source like my first one.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. That's so funny we are both reading that. I'm on chapter 16 and it's good.

Did you finish the book yet, Jennie? I did last night along with a box of Kleenex!! Loved the story but quite heart-wrenching. :tissue:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Did you finish the book yet, Jennie? I did last night along with a box of Kleenex!! Loved the story but quite heart-wrenching. :tissue:
Not yet. Im actually laying by the pool reading it right now. Oh I need to prepare myself then for crying.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet. Im actually laying by the pool reading it right now. Oh I need to prepare myself then for crying.

just make sure there are no ladies wearing their boob-gel-inserts with Brutus in the mix, eh?! when you say "pool" that's all I picture!! :ohmy:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
just make sure there are no ladies wearing their boob-gel-inserts with Brutus in the mix, eh?! when you say "pool" that's all I picture!! :ohmy:
Lololol!!! Just me, him and ruthie today, so no boobs hahahaha. He's off chasing butterflys in the yard.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I just finished. Man, that is a gut wrenching book. My goodness those poor women.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I just finished. Man, that is a gut wrenching book. My goodness those poor women.

I know Jennie. It's unbelievable what women endure in other parts of the world. I really felt for the main characters in this story...such a deep sadness throughout the book yet also some victories. That book really affected me.

I just checked out 11/22/63 today from the library based on recs by [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] and review by [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]. I'm also reading a mystery called End in Tears by Ruth Rendell. It's pretty good except there are so many different characters in the book that it's hard to keep track of them all!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I know Jennie. It's unbelievable what women endure in other parts of the world. I really felt for the main characters in this story...such a deep sadness throughout the book yet also some victories. That book really affected me.

I just checked out 11/22/63 today from the library based on recs by [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] and review by [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]. I'm also reading a mystery called End in Tears by Ruth Rendell. It's pretty good except there are so many different characters in the book that it's hard to keep track of them all!

My heart ached for them. I couldn't even imagine living a life like that. It's so important to recognize how great it is to be free. This quote resonated deep with me, it was when Laila was asleep at Mariam's home near the end "in a few years, this little girl will be a woman who will make small demands on life, who will never burden others, who will never let on that she too has sorrows, disappointments, dreams that have been ridiculed. A woman who will be like a rock in a riverbed, enduring without complain, her grace not sullied but shaped by the turbulence that washes over her" . Those are powerful words.

The book 11/23/63 has been creeping up everywhere. I was reading an article yesterday about books that were hard to put down. I may have to check it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, so I just now finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King...BRILLIANT!!! :2thumbs: Thanku guys for the recommendation, [MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION]. I could not stop reading and now it's past my bedtime but I made it thru the 800+ pages in 1 week's time.
@JennieS, did u check the book out yet? run, don't walk and start reading! :yes:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, so I just now finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King...BRILLIANT!!! :2thumbs: Thanku guys for the recommendation, @Donnam and @nycbullymama. I could not stop reading and now it's past my bedtime but I made it thru the 800+ pages in 1 week's time.
@JennieS, did u check the book out yet? run, don't walk and start reading! :yes:

No I haven't got it yet! I got caught in another book. I'm going on vacation this week and i have a bunch of trashy stuff to read while i'm sunning myself. I'll pick it up when i get back. It seems like a book i'll have to put some thought into and pay attention LOL.
When i get on the beach i read and people watch at the same time. I need something that doesn't take too much brain power.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Okay, so I just now finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King...BRILLIANT!!! :2thumbs: Thanku guys for the recommendation, @Donnam and @nycbullymama. I could not stop reading and now it's past my bedtime but I made it thru the 800+ pages in 1 week's time.

Yay.. so glad you liked it!

I think you should read the first book of The Hunger Games next! I have no doubt you're going to love it.
Amazon.com: The Hunger Games (Book 1) (9780439023528): Suzanne Collins: Books

Another one I forgot to mention earlier is "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. OMG, another book I couldn't put down.
The Passage: A Novel (Book One of The Passage Trilogy) - Kindle edition by Justin Cronin. Mystery, Thriller & Suspense Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Also (my last recommendation..lol) The "Dark Tower" saga by Stephen King. The first book is called "The Gunslinger". I started reading them when I was a teenager and he hadn't finished the series yet. I was in my mid 20's by the time he was done. There's eight books total and each and every one is an excellent book.
http://stephenking.com/darktower/book/

📰 Latest posts

Members online