cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Henny @cali baker, the first book that comes to my mind that I absolutely couldn't put down is Stephen King's 11-22-63. It's not horror, just a great story. Have you read it? I'm just starting the first book of Outlander. I love the series on TV.

If you like mysteries, I loved the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. I read all 10 and loved them all. The first one is Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel. I liked all of Gillian Flynn's books: Gone Girl, Dark Places: A Novel, and Sharp Objects: A Novel.

I liked Liane Moriarty's books, they are a bit lighter. The Husband's Secret, What Alice Forgot, and a couple more by her.
We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver was good, scary but good (not horror).

That's just a few, I love to read too. The best one I mentioned is 11-22-63. I wish I hadn't read it yet so I could read it again for the first time. It's a big long book, but oh so good!

thanks for the Stephen King rec! Love his work :) Also going to write Louise Penny down on my list.

OMG, I'm a huge Liane Moriarty fan too; I've read all her stuff with the exception of What Alice Forgot which I started but just could not get into for some reason. I liked The Husband's Secret, The Hypnotist's Love Story and Big Little Lies. I hope you will like Outlander as much as I did, Donna!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have that book on my GoodReads list. Have you seen that website? I'm on there if you get on it.

Right now i'm reading 2 one is a "Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers. This one is for my book study so it's taking a while to get through it. "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. That's so funny we are both reading that. I'm on chapter 16 and it's good.

I read everything from crappy romance novels to thrillers.
Another one i was completely moved by was "Finding me: A decade of darkness" by Michelle Knight. She was one of the women they found in Cleveland after years of being kidnapped and tortured.

OH i can't forget this one: "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers....it was SO. GOOD. I would like to describe it but it's one of those you just have to read.

Anything by Augusten Burroughs is always a good read. he's funny!

One i just finished is a thrilled called "A Dark Lure" by Loreth Anne White. It was free from Amazon and i LOVED it. It was one of the best books i've ever read.

thanks for all the recs, Jennie. I'm totally enjoying A Thousand Splendid Suns right now, still in the beginning stages though.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have not read a book in YEARS! I have a pile I want to get to, but never seem to find the time.

Last one I really enjoyed was 'Wicked' and Jim Breuer's 'I'm not high'

you must squeeze the time in, [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] :) I bring a book to work with me and read on my lunch hour. Then at night before bed time. I don't have cable TV anymore so that helps, LOL!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I used to read a lot more than I do these days. Hoping this thread will inspire me.
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] what are the names of the books you're reading? I also love Sci-fi or SteamPunk like the "Dark Tower" sage by Stephen King. Can't even believe he wrote those books.

A few years ago I really got into young adult sci fi like The Hunger Games which to be honest, I think is too mature for teens. Anyway, the books were awesome. If you haven't read them, consider it. They're amazing books.

I also loved "Pure" Amazon.com: Pure (9781455503056): Julianna Baggott: Books
and "Fuse" Amazon.com: Fuse (Pure Trilogy) (9781455503100): Julianna Baggott: Books also set in a Dystopian world.
Both are part of a trilogy but I haven't read the third yet. First two are very good though.

Love the scifi classics like Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury; Brave New World by Aldous Huxley; Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell; and A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.
The last is difficult to understand if you're not familiar with slavic languages.
I mean you'll understand the book, but I think it loses some of it's "meaning" if you don't understand their weird use of slavic words as slang.

Two of my favorite Authors are Margaret Atwood and Charles Bukowski
I think every woman should read "A Handmaids Tale" by Atwood. It's also set in a dystopian society and it's such a reminder of how much freedom we as women have, and how easily it could be lost. Just an amazing book.

Atwood also has an amazing trilogy. I couldn't put these books down.
"Oryx and Crake" Oryx and Crake: Margaret Atwood: 9780385721677: Amazon.com: Books
"Year of the Flood" The Year of the Flood: Margaret Atwood: 9780307455475: Amazon.com: Books
and "MaddAddam" MaddAddam (The Maddaddam Trilogy): Margaret Atwood: 9780307455482: Amazon.com: Books
I love most of what she writes, but I think the above is just some of her best work.

Charles Bukowski
Amazing American poet and writer. I really have no idea what genre to put in..lol. I think most of his work is based on his own life though.
Two of my favorites by him are "Factotum" http://www.amazon.com/Factotum-Char..._sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TC5AE5HNMRWEQ4TW1P0
and "Post Office" http://www.amazon.com/Post-Office-N...d=1435244387&sr=1-5&keywords=charles+bukowski

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I used to read a lot more than I do these days. Hoping this thread will inspire me.
@Marine91 what are the names of the books you're reading? I also love Sci-fi or SteamPunk like the "Dark Tower" sage by Stephen King. Can't even believe he wrote those books.

I am reading a fantasy series The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.

The Eye of the World
The Great Hunt
The Dragon Reborn
The Shadow Rising
The Fires of Heaven
Lord of Chaos
A Crown of Swords
The Path of Daggers
Winter's Heart
Crossroads of Twilight
Knife of Dreams - Last book written solely by Robert Jordan before his death.
The Gathering Storm - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson
A Memory of Light

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thank you [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] I'm gonna check out the series.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
That's a great compilation there [MENTION=7457]nycbullymama[/MENTION] . I find it interesting to hear what others here on EBN like to read, and the genres you're all drawn to. I have heard very good things about the Hunger Games books themselves and that they're worth reading. I think Outlander can fit in the fantasy and maybe even sci fi category as it deals with time travel.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Henny @cali baker, the first book that comes to my mind that I absolutely couldn't put down is Stephen King's 11-22-63. It's not horror, just a great story. Have you read it? I'm just starting the first book of Outlander. I love the series on TV.

If you like mysteries, I loved the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. I read all 10 and loved them all. The first one is Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel. I liked all of Gillian Flynn's books: Gone Girl, Dark Places: A Novel, and Sharp Objects: A Novel.

I liked Liane Moriarty's books, they are a bit lighter. The Husband's Secret, What Alice Forgot, and a couple more by her.
We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver was good, scary but good (not horror).

That's just a few, I love to read too. The best one I mentioned is 11-22-63. I wish I hadn't read it yet so I could read it again for the first time. It's a big long book, but oh so good!

I LOVE LOVE all the books you listed… I've real the Gillian Flynn & Liane Moriarty books!!! Are you on Goodreads?!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I do want to read Girl on a Train but I need to place a hold on this at the 'brary b/c it's so popular. Just like All The Light We Cannot See...I had to hunt several libraries before I could get on their shortest wait list! :w00t:

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I LOVE LOVE all the books you listed… I've real the Gillian Flynn & Liane Moriarty books!!! Are you on Goodreads?!!

No, I've never even heard of it till I read this post. I'll have to check it out! I also love everything written by Anne Tyler, A Spool of Blue Thread is her latest one. Maybe not one of my favs of hers, but still good. And John Irving is another favorite author (The World According to Garp, etc.).
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] Henny, you need to get a Kindle! All you have to do is click (for those of us too lazy to go to the library)!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I agree about 11-22-63. I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but most people don't realize he also writes fantasy, and steampunk, they think he only does horror.

11-22-63 was an amazing fantasy book. A long read yes, but I devoured it.

I mean who would have ever thought that Shawshank Redemption is by Stephen King.. crazy..
Here's the original Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption a Story from Different Seasons: Stephen King: 9780896214408: Amazon.com: Books

I've read practically everything Stephen King has ever written. I had burned out a little until I read 11-22-63. Todd [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION], you should read it. My husband loved it too. I'm going to check out Good Reads...now...

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13140]Donnam[/MENTION], I did think about a Kindle before but I really do not mind going to the library. The one in my city is a beautiful old building and I feel like I'm stepping into the past when I go there. Maybe one day I will get myself one of those E-reader-thingy's though b/c I like its convenience when traveling vs. carrying around several big books.

I'm going to definitely check out that 11-22-63 book after I'm done w/my current book (I checked today and it's available at the library...woohoo)!! :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have several tablets and e-readers but when i use them I just can't get in to the book for some reason. For me I prefer having a physical book in my hands.

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online