Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 73 to 84 of 89

Thread: Good Reads

  1. #73
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,521
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    1768

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Quote Originally Posted by Marine91 View Post
    I finished my 14 book series about a month ago and haven't had any luck finding anything else to get in to. I have started a few but I got bored with them quickly. Guess I am too picky. Lol
    My husband and I both like Lee Child's books (about an ex-military guy) also Vince Flynn's (CIA). Both should be read in order. Nearly finished all the Vince Flynn books so we will have to find another series-type author soon. I have a stack of books to go through in the meantime though so no panic! I really liked the late Michael Crichton as all his books were different. Will have to have another go at 11-22-63. It is the only Stephen King book I had a problem reading. For some reason I just couldn't get into it and I usually zip right through his books.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  2. #74
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    My husband and I both like Lee Child's books (about an ex-military guy) also Vince Flynn's (CIA). Both should be read in order. Nearly finished all the Vince Flynn books so we will have to find another series-type author soon. I have a stack of books to go through in the meantime though so no panic! I really liked the late Michael Crichton as all his books were different. Will have to have another go at 11-22-63. It is the only Stephen King book I had a problem reading. For some reason I just couldn't get into it and I usually zip right through his books.
    Funny you say that about King. I can't get through Duma Key no matter how hard I try. Been reading it for the last maybe 10 years and I'm not even halfway through. Like you, it's the only one.
    @cali baker and everyone else; Have you read "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson? One word describes it for me "chilling".


  3. #75
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Good Reads

    @Chumly1, hope you will give 11/22/63 another try. That was one of the best book recommendations I've gotten in a long time!




  4. #76
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Funny you say that about King. I can't get through Duma Key no matter how hard I try. Been reading it for the last maybe 10 years and I'm not even halfway through. Like you, it's the only one.
    @cali baker and everyone else; Have you read "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson? One word describes it for me "chilling".
    too funny...I have that Duma Key book too and I haven't been able to finish it yet either. It's only been like 2 years for me tho. In fact, it's in my "books to donate" bin!

    Have not yet read The Lottery but it sounds like something I would like.




  5. #77
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    too funny...I have that Duma Key book too and I haven't been able to finish it yet either. It's only been like 2 years for me tho. In fact, it's in my "books to donate" bin!

    Have not yet read The Lottery but it sounds like something I would like.
    lol.. yeah, definitely not one of those books i'd ever recommend.

    The Lottery is a short story. I don't usually say this but I will, drop everything else you're reading, and get The Lottery, it's only about 20-30 pages but so worth the read.


  6. Likes cali baker liked this post
  7. #78
    BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Biogirl71's Avatar
    Real Name
    Erin
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    3,615
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    1019

    Default Re: Good Reads

    The Lottery is one of my favorite short stories. I first read it in middle school and it has stuck with me ever since.

    I am a huge fan of Stephan King (love most of his older books and short stories!) but his recent stuff has not appealed to me. Until I read 11-22-63. I couldn't stop reading! I am still not sure of what I think about the ending but I do love books that keep me thinking about them even after I have finished.
    Happiness is a warm bulldog!

  8. #79
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,521
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    1768

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Y'all (how about that from a Brit!) have proved me a liar. I didn't get through Duma Key either!!! I had completely forgotten all about it. I think my all time favourite King books are The Green Mile and of course, The Stand. I will look for The Lottery for sure.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  9. Likes cali baker liked this post
  10. #80
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Good Reads

    I just checked out The Hangman's Daughter @Biogirl71

    The library didn't have The Lottery so I will need to wait to get that one. Thanks for some more great recs!




  11. #81
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,521
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    1768

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Just ordered The Lottery for my Nook but they don't have The Hangman's Daughter. I think that is either hard copy or Kindle only so will look for it.

    One book I thought was fantastic was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (Non-Fiction) I will read it again if I ever get caught up. The film was just so so.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  12. #82
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    Just ordered The Lottery for my Nook but they don't have The Hangman's Daughter. I think that is either hard copy or Kindle only so will look for it.

    One book I thought was fantastic was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (Non-Fiction) I will read it again if I ever get caught up. The film was just so so.
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was a delicious read...lol.. Just loved it. Such an eccentric bunch of characters, you can't help but love them. I went to Savanah because of the book...lol


  13. #83
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    One book I thought was fantastic was Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. (Non-Fiction) I will read it again if I ever get caught up. The film was just so so.
    Okay, I'm going to put this one on my list as well. I remember watching the movie...thought it was just "okay" but had no idea there was a book. It sounds intriguing!




  14. #84
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,521
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)
    1768

    Default Re: Good Reads

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil was a delicious read...lol.. Just loved it. Such an eccentric bunch of characters, you can't help but love them. I went to Savanah because of the book...lol
    Yes! We drove by the house when we went. Just had to see it. Great book.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •