cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This summer, the library has been my best friend (after the bulldogs of course). I love reading and I just completed a book called All The Light You Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Beautifully written and hard to put down. If you enjoy historical fiction, this may be up your alley.

Anyone else read this book?

Other ones I've recently read and enjoyed:

Outlander (this is a series of books but the 1st one was my all time favorite)
Moving Day by Jonathan Stone (thriller/mystery)

the next book I'll start is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini who wrote the Kite Runner.

What have you read lately and can recommend? I'm always looking for a great book to read! :reading:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have not read a book in YEARS! I have a pile I want to get to, but never seem to find the time.

Last one I really enjoyed was 'Wicked' and Jim Breuer's 'I'm not high'

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I wasn't a big reader for years but managed to find a few that I like. I am mostly in to fantasy, sci-fi and military/government type novels. I am about to finish the 13th book in a 14 book fantasy series that I started reading a few years ago.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I LOVE to read Henny… so glad you started this thread!!! :w00t: I make myself read every single night for at least 30 min, it helps me to fall to sleep… Lol I have a paperwhite kindle, and if you go to BookBub and register they have offers every single day on books, many for just a couple of dollars and some are even FREE!!!

I started reading All The Light You Cannot See, but I haven't finished it yet… I swear I read about 4/5 books at a time. I LOVE murder/mystery type of novels and right now I'm reading A Dark Lure by Loreth White. I just finished reading Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult, and it was ok… NOT my favorite by her. One I would recommend for you (if you like mystery psychological kinda stuff) is The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins, it was really good.

Henny are you registered on Goodreads?!! You can link it w/Facebook to find out what other people (on your friends list) are reading and people give reviews. I LOVE it because you can also make wish lists, and see what your friends are wanting to read. I have several reviews on there as well...

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I have that book on my GoodReads list. Have you seen that website? I'm on there if you get on it.

Right now i'm reading 2 one is a "Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers. This one is for my book study so it's taking a while to get through it. "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. That's so funny we are both reading that. I'm on chapter 16 and it's good.

I read everything from crappy romance novels to thrillers.
Another one i was completely moved by was "Finding me: A decade of darkness" by Michelle Knight. She was one of the women they found in Cleveland after years of being kidnapped and tortured.

OH i can't forget this one: "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers....it was SO. GOOD. I would like to describe it but it's one of those you just have to read.

Anything by Augusten Burroughs is always a good read. he's funny!

One i just finished is a thrilled called "A Dark Lure" by Loreth Anne White. It was free from Amazon and i LOVED it. It was one of the best books i've ever read.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Henny [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION], the first book that comes to my mind that I absolutely couldn't put down is Stephen King's 11-22-63. It's not horror, just a great story. Have you read it? I'm just starting the first book of Outlander. I love the series on TV.

If you like mysteries, I loved the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. I read all 10 and loved them all. The first one is Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel. I liked all of Gillian Flynn's books: Gone Girl, Dark Places: A Novel, and Sharp Objects: A Novel.

I liked Liane Moriarty's books, they are a bit lighter. The Husband's Secret, What Alice Forgot, and a couple more by her.
We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver was good, scary but good (not horror).

That's just a few, I love to read too. The best one I mentioned is 11-22-63. I wish I hadn't read it yet so I could read it again for the first time. It's a big long book, but oh so good!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I LOVE to read Henny… so glad you started this thread!!! :w00t: I make myself read every single night for at least 30 min, it helps me to fall to sleep… Lol I have a paperwhite kindle, and if you go to BookBub and register they have offers every single day on books, many for just a couple of dollars and some are even FREE!!!

I started reading All The Light You Cannot See, but I haven't finished it yet… I swear I read about 4/5 books at a time. I LOVE murder/mystery type of novels and right now I'm reading A Dark Lure by Loreth White. I just finished reading Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult, and it was ok… NOT my favorite by her. One I would recommend for you (if you like mystery psychological kinda stuff) is The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins, it was really good.

Henny are you registered on Goodreads?!! You can link it w/Facebook to find out what other people (on your friends list) are reading and people give reviews. I LOVE it because you can also make wish lists, and see what your friends are wanting to read. I have several reviews on there as well...

OMG! I'm going to find you on goodreads but i'm so excited you are reading a Dark Lure!!! I LOVED IT!! did you get it for free on amazon? One of their monthly things.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG! I'm going to find you on goodreads but i'm so excited you are reading a Dark Lure!!! I LOVED IT!! did you get it for free on amazon? One of their monthly things.

YES… I think it was like a couple of dollars!!! ;) I got it off that Bookbub thing, they send me an e-mail daily w/about 10 offers on really cheap books. You go thru a profile list to see what types of books you are interested in and then they send you a selection. It's awesome… I can't wait to see what YOU are reading… Lol

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW [MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] we have read a LOT of the same books!!! Lol

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
YES… I think it was like a couple of dollars!!! ;) I got it off that Bookbub thing, they send me an e-mail daily w/about 10 offers on really cheap books. You go thru a profile list to see what types of books you are interested in and then they send you a selection. It's awesome… I can't wait to see what YOU are reading… Lol

I'm going to go sign up for that right now!

I'm reading 2 right now. I also threw in Grey by EL James, but I finished that in a day. I love those "romance novels" LOL.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to go sign up for that right now!

I'm reading 2 right now. I also threw in Grey by EL James, but I finished that in a day. I love those "romance novels" LOL.

It's the reason that I'm reading 4 to 5 books at a time… Lol They also send you FREE books!!! :w00t:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
It's the reason that I'm reading 4 to 5 books at a time… Lol They also send you FREE books!!! :w00t:

I love FREE!!!

I'm breaking down and getting the paperwhite tomorrow. My ipad just isn't cutting it outside. I'm tired of looking at my reflection in the screen. Not to mention i'm also looking down so all i see is my double chin. LOL.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's cause....Great Minds!!! ahahahaha.

:2thumbs: I always wanted to work w/CSI… Lol

- - - Updated - - -

I love FREE!!!

I'm breaking down and getting the paperwhite tomorrow. My ipad just isn't cutting it outside. I'm tired of looking at my reflection in the screen. Not to mention i'm also looking down so all i see is my double chin. LOL.

I couldn't handle the iPad mini, so I broke down and got the paperwhite. I LOVE it, and it's small so you can put it in your purse to take w/you anywhere.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington

YES!! I am registered on Good Reads in fact. I'm not very active on it yet but I registered about a month or so ago :)

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.