Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Good Reads

I do want to read Girl on a Train but I need to place a hold on this at the 'brary b/c it's so popular. Just like All The Light We Cannot See...I had to hunt several libraries before I could get on their shortest wait list!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I LOVE LOVE all the books you listed… I've real the Gillian Flynn & Liane Moriarty books!!! Are you on Goodreads?!!
    No, I've never even heard of it till I read this post. I'll have to check it out! I also love everything written by Anne Tyler, A Spool of Blue Thread is her latest one. Maybe not one of my favs of hers, but still good. And John Irving is another favorite author (The World According to Garp, etc.).
    @cali baker Henny, you need to get a Kindle! All you have to do is click (for those of us too lazy to go to the library)!

3. Likes ddnene liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree about 11-22-63. I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but most people don't realize he also writes fantasy, and steampunk, they think he only does horror.

11-22-63 was an amazing fantasy book. A long read yes, but I devoured it.

I mean who would have ever thought that Shawshank Redemption is by Stephen King.. crazy..
    Here's the original Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption a Story from Different Seasons: Stephen King: 9780896214408: Amazon.com: Books

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    I agree about 11-22-63. I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but most people don't realize he also writes fantasy, and steampunk, they think he only does horror.

11-22-63 was an amazing fantasy book. A long read yes, but I devoured it.

I mean who would have ever thought that Shawshank Redemption is by Stephen King.. crazy..
    Here's the original Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption a Story from Different Seasons: Stephen King: 9780896214408: Amazon.com: Books
    I've read practically everything Stephen King has ever written. I had burned out a little until I read 11-22-63. Todd @Marine91, you should read it. My husband loved it too. I'm going to check out Good Reads...now...

7. Likes nycbullymama liked this post
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Donnam, I did think about a Kindle before but I really do not mind going to the library. The one in my city is a beautiful old building and I feel like I'm stepping into the past when I go there. Maybe one day I will get myself one of those E-reader-thingy's though b/c I like its convenience when traveling vs. carrying around several big books.

I'm going to definitely check out that 11-22-63 book after I'm done w/my current book (I checked today and it's available at the library...woohoo)!!

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have several tablets and e-readers but when i use them I just can't get in to the book for some reason. For me I prefer having a physical book in my hands.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

10. Likes cali baker liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    @Donnam, I did think about a Kindle before but I really do not mind going to the library. The one in my city is a beautiful old building and I feel like I'm stepping into the past when I go there. Maybe one day I will get myself one of those E-reader-thingy's though b/c I like its convenience when traveling vs. carrying around several big books.

I'm going to definitely check out that 11-22-63 book after I'm done w/my current book (I checked today and it's available at the library...woohoo)!!
    For years I didn't even think about getting an e-reader, but they closed our Borders bookstore here in town. We only have Books-a-million which I hate!!! So I really had NO choice except to order the books off Amazon, and I have to say I absolutely LOVE having so many books and the fact that it's good for the environment. I had so many books that I was donating to goodwill (or giving away which I don't really mind).

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I do want to read Girl on a Train but I need to place a hold on this at the 'brary b/c it's so popular. Just like All The Light We Cannot See...I had to hunt several libraries before I could get on their shortest wait list!
    Henny I forgot to add that you can "rent" books from the library too on the e-readers. I only did it once, but you basically have the book on your reader for a period of time and then it expires… that way you can get popular books w/out the wait!!!

Here is the link to the BookBub… I get an e-mail daily w/their deals!!!

https://www.bookbub.com/home/

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

13. Likes cali baker liked this post
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    For years I didn't even think about getting an e-reader, but they closed our Borders bookstore here in town. We only have Books-a-million which I hate!!! So I really had NO choice except to order the books off Amazon, and I have to say I absolutely LOVE having so many books and the fact that it's good for the environment. I had so many books that I was donating to goodwill (or giving away which I don't really mind).
    I like not having so many real books in the house. We used to have bookshelves full of books everywhere in the house and still not enough room for new ones. We finally got rid of all but a couple of shelves of books we really wanted to keep (read again). We have a Half-Price Bookstore that will buy books, but you don't get **** for them. Since I've gotten the Kindle, I read a lot more, maybe because I can shop anytime! I also like that you can read samples before you buy. My husband is kind of like Todd, he'd rather have a real book, but sometimes he reads one on the iPad.

15. Likes ddnene liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Donna, we had the same problem- out of room for books. After awhile, we started packing them up and putting them in storage. That was why we originally got kindles.

We got our first one about 5 years ago. At first, I didn't like it at all. But after giving it a real chance (and getting a lighted case) I fell in love. I swore it was the best invention since the internet..lol..

My second Kindle is the Kindle white. I found it a little awkward to use at first, but got used to it fast enough. I really appreciate the fact that I didn't need a separate light source like my first one.

17. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JennieS View Post
    I "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. That's so funny we are both reading that. I'm on chapter 16 and it's good.
    Did you finish the book yet, Jennie? I did last night along with a box of Kleenex!! Loved the story but quite heart-wrenching.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Did you finish the book yet, Jennie? I did last night along with a box of Kleenex!! Loved the story but quite heart-wrenching.
    Not yet. Im actually laying by the pool reading it right now. Oh I need to prepare myself then for crying.

20. Likes ddnene liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads