dog auctions

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION], I have heard of these before this is aweful. Do rescues actually purchase the animals? Just looking for opinions about this not trying to be contriversial, but it seems to me that iif rescues go to these and "buy" the pups to save them it sort of perpetuates the auctions. I can see both sides and I feel for the animals but i don't like the idea of giving these idiots money either:angry:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes these do sicken me, I wish they were all shut down. [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] I agree it sounds awful giving them money but then to think of the other side of it and what happens if they dont buy any. :( Heartbreaking. Sadly there are so many people willing to buy the pups at these auctions that there is no way to shut them down without laws being in place to do so. Buying a few to save them, or stopping doing so wont be enough to make a dent in their business unfortunately. Better to save what they can when they can I say and hopefully someday the laws will start to protect these neglected and abused little pups.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Wow I didn't know this went on. I can definitely see what [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] is saying about not wanting to feed this by financially supporting this kind of thing BUT when I read "Most dogs without buyers are killed" the emotional me comes out and if I were there I'd probably spend a fortune saving any dog that no one else took and that I thought would be killed.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
this happens and there is a website to see all upcoming and current auctions. They also publish a catalog to show you what is coming up for auction. which to me us just unbelievable. Right now all those puppy mills in MO that have to get down to 50 dogs are going through auctions to get rid of their "overstock" there is going to be one in April for just Bulldogs. It is unfortunate that some rescues have to go and save what they can. Of course puppy mills are going to get rid of their oldest, weakest and sickest dogs and those don't sell that well. So yes, rescues come to the rescue and bid on them, sometimes just 100 or so, but they are saved and brought back to health. BCA doesn't like the idea of rescues buying dogs, however the main focus here is helping out the bulldog.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] this is so terrible. When you said all bulldog auction all I could think is I just got a 9000 tax refund! at 100 dollars iI could save ALlL THE DOGS THERE! Someone take my debit card please before i end up with a farm. I am contradiciting myself because 2 seconds ago I saaid I don't like the idea of giving them money lol. If i go rescue them all who wants one ? Just kidding ( weel kinda) please don't email me or tell friends and tell them i'm giving away bulldogs.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] where is the bulldog auction at btw

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
It is in a small town (I think anyways) If I remember correctly Wheaton? if I am not mistaken it is in the S/W corner, about a hour from Springfield. I guess there is a big auction area there. They don't all go for in the Hundreds, but most of the sick ones do.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] I sent you a pm but idk if it went through

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
These auctions are heartbreaking. They make me so :angry: Most rescues dont pay for dogs. The IBR never does, but other advocacy groups will go to these auctions to get as many as they can and surrender them to rescues.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
@NikkiSchoolcraft what if someone else paid for them and brought them to you, like maybe me?

Thats just fine. Just understand these bullies are often expensive to get healthy and socialize so always check with the rescue first to see if they can afford taking them. We always will if we can. :)

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Yes... Our rescue only buys the ones they can't sell for maybe $70.00 or so. The one in MO is the one we go to. They have an all bulldog auction there several times a year. This is why I NEVER buy anything from the Amish!!! I just don't trust them. Sorry if you know people that are Amish... but gah!!!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Wow...amazing! I've never heard of such a thing! I guess it's a good thing these auctions aren't in my area, I'd have more Bullies than I could possibly keep up with. So sad. And to think the ones that don't sell are killed. But then which is worse? Those may be better off than the ones that sell for more years of misery.

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION] I have to agree with you . Excluding the ones bought by rescues, unfortunately I think you are right.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.