Thread: i'm thinking of becoming an animal control officer yikes.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Question i'm thinking of becoming an animal control officer yikes.

Ok so I manage a dog daycare and I LOVE IT. It is also about an hour and a half drive from my house. ( i used to live in indy , moved back to illinois to buy and remodel rental properties) I am well compensated for making the drive. I am given a house to stay in , a car to drive while i'm there. My boyfriend also live in Il with me ,but works from home for a company in indy. When he has to be on site in indy, my bos gives him an extra office at the dacare so that he doesn't have to drive back to ill and indy several time a day/week. Also this allows us to just take 1 car to indy which is why im given a car while i'm there. The pay is less than impressive but honestly, i would work there for free. The owner is amazing. I tried to leave my job but I couldn't. However the animal control officer job jsut became available in il. Aside from having to leave my current job, I wouldn't have to commute any longer which means more time at home with the kids. This new job would be sad a lot i'm sure , so that is a concern. However I would be helping dogs more than I do now. ALso there is the small concern that my friends and famaily already think all i do is look at dogs all day. Now i would jsut be driving around looking at dogs according to them . They can't understand why I do what I do because " I don't HAVE to work" I'm so torn idk what to do.
    Last edited by dozersmama; 02-08-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: i'm thinking of becoming an animal control officer yikes.

Sounds like an interesting opportunity. Follow your heart

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Sounds like an interesting opportunity. Follow your heart
    Exactly what I was thinking. Do what you WANT to do and dont worry bout everyone else. I agree it would be tough to see so much sadness but then being able to bust the cruel owners and help save some would be great!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes follow your heart, do what makes you happy and what works best for you and your family. I will say, what a tough job! But I have nothing but an immense amount of respect for those that can do it. I have considered doing it myself but in the end I know I am too sensitive, I'd be an emotional wreck if I had to do see what animal control officers see everyday. Plus I know that would be a job that would have me angry everyday and I just couldn't live like that. Like I said though, if you decide to do that, kudos to you! The neglected and abused animals of this world need a voice and bless those that are strong enough to stand up for them.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Lucy-licious

It sounds like an amazing opportunity to me yes you will have to deal with distessing sights at the hand of cruelty, but you will be in a possition to help and do something about it. You will also beable to educate people on how to take xare of their animals properly to help prevent an animals unnecesary suffering just because the owner didnt know better. If your really worried about not being able to cope have a word with your current employer and see if should you not settle would you beable to return to your old post?

Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Thanks everyone for your support. I think I have decided to go apply for the job and see what happens. I believe everything happens for a reason and if this is meant to be it will and if not it won't. @Lucylambchop My boss has told me when i attempted to leave before that I can alwyas come back. If I leave and walk through her door in 5 years I can start that day as far as she is concerned. Thats serious job security lol. her.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Nikki
    Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
    Likes (Received)

@dozersmama follow your heart. You cant go wrong if your doing something you love. Im looking for a job...I'll just take over for ya
    "I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." <3

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gertie & Ida
    Likes (Received)

I agree, everything happens as it's meant to. I say apply and see if this job has your name on it!

There is nothing nicer than two sweet Bully girls, unless it's THREE sweet Bully girls!!
    Julie, Gertie, Ida & Clementine in Az.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I believe in fate ... I think that if you apply for the job and you get it then it is meant to be.

Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Well I applied this morning so now we just wait and see what happens.

Remove Ads