Another dog attack!

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Not Belle this time thankfully...but it happened to my in-laws elderly mini schnauzer. They travel the country in a big motorhome and they happen to be in our town visiting for a month. My mother-in-law called me this morning in a panic. While my father-in-law was out walking their two mini schnauzers, a large boxer mix busted through the fenced in dog area at the campground and attacked their male. My FIL had to kick the other dog and basically step on his head to get him to let go. He was extremely shaken up and obviously very angry. The other dog's owner had forgotten to latch the gate and let their dog off leash. He is obviously very dog aggressive so really has no business being in an RV park. They filed a complaint with the owner of the park and with animal control. The RV park has offered to pay for all vet expenses and our animal control issued the man several citations. Thankfully their schnauzer will be okay but he did have a pretty deep puncture wound on his neck and will be on antibiotics for a few days. He's always been a shy timid dog so I'm sure this won't help. What the heck is with all the dog attacks lately?!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
This kind of crap upsets me to no end. But thank god the schnauzer's ok. I think I would of kicked the other dogs owner.

Last night, we were walking the boys. There's a couple that lives in my building and they have two very yappy pomeranians.

I was sitting on the bench, Blue was at my side. Chris was further down the esplanade walking Wellie.
Next thing I know I hear barking and growling. I look over, and the two poms attacked a goldendoodle. The girl who was walking one of the poms let go of the lead when the pom lunged for the goldendoodle, and apparently the other pom joined in.

I was watching this horrific scene unfold and the doodle couldn't shake the poms off. The doodles owner was trying everything but she couldn't get a grip on the little dogs. Finally, the guy managed to pull off both poms and they quickly left.

The goldendoodle walked by us and she was limping and bleeding. I asked the owner if she needed help but she said she just wanted to get her to a vet. Turns out she lives in my building as well, so knows who the poms are.

I have no idea how everything ended, but who would have thought that such little things could have caused that much damage.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
gald all the pups are OK or at least will be physically... irresponsible owners just piss me off so much

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thanks to the "people" around here, I can't even take any of my dogs for walks outside my place because most have pittbulls and they run loose.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Horrible:fie: glad the doggie is ok.

I'm just waiting for a dog attack to come my way, ALWAYS dogs out roaming the streets here:( Thankfully my husband isn't afraid of dogs, so when we walk our dogs he goes with, armed with a stick so he can chase the strays away while I run with the dogs like a crazy person:eek:

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Horrible:fie: glad the doggie is ok.

I'm just waiting for a dog attack to come my way, ALWAYS dogs out roaming the streets here:( Thankfully my husband isn't afraid of dogs, so when we walk our dogs he goes with, armed with a stick so he can chase the strays away while I run with the dogs like a crazy person:eek:

My husband and I have a similar plan. There are loose dogs out here every so often. When we walk together, our plan is for me to pick Goob up and run away with him as fast as I can while hubby fights off the dog if he needs to. When I am alone, I always look for the closest truck so if I see a lose dog, Goob and I can get in the bed and call for help. I also have a pocket knife with me because I walk along with Goob at night sometimes. Even though I'm on the look out, something can always come out of nowhere.

I would hate to ever use it on another dog but I've heard so many stories of crazy dogs latching on and locking their jaws into their victim. If I saw a dog do this to Goob or ME, I would have something to protect us. Crazy??

On the flip side, Goob is not good with other dogs and strangers so we have to ALWAYS be on guard when people are around. Once, he was off leash playing in the back and ran from the back yard to the front ( hubby opened the gate to go in front) RIGHT WHEN a guy was walking a small Maltese. Goob made a mad dash for the dog and ran into it like a wrecking ball. The dog flipped over and then Goob sat on him. It sounds kind of funny but it was totally scary because I didn't know if Goob would bite the dog or the guy. Thankfully nothing happened but I was so disappointed in us. I told my husband that if that was me, and a big dog ran towards GOOB, I would have been livid, scared, and done anything to protect my dog. Ever since then, we have been even MORE cautious to make sure Goob doesn't go in the front off leash. :ashamed:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
My husband and I have a similar plan. There are loose dogs out here every so often. When we walk together, our plan is for me to pick Goob up and run away with him as fast as I can while hubby fights off the dog if he needs to. When I am alone, I always look for the closest truck so if I see a lose dog, Goob and I can get in the bed and call for help. I also have a pocket knife with me because I walk along with Goob at night sometimes. Even though I'm on the look out, something can always come out of nowhere.

I would hate to ever use it on another dog but I've heard so many stories of crazy dogs latching on and locking their jaws into their victim. If I saw a dog do this to Goob or ME, I would have something to protect us. Crazy??

On the flip side, Goob is not good with other dogs and strangers so we have to ALWAYS be on guard when people are around. Once, he was off leash playing in the back and ran from the back yard to the front ( hubby opened the gate to go in front) RIGHT WHEN a guy was walking a small Maltese. Goob made a mad dash for the dog and ran into it like a wrecking ball. The dog flipped over and then Goob sat on him. It sounds kind of funny but it was totally scary because I didn't know if Goob would bite the dog or the guy. Thankfully nothing happened but I was so disappointed in us. I told my husband that if that was me, and a big dog ran towards GOOB, I would have been livid, scared, and done anything to protect my dog. Ever since then, we have been even MORE cautious to make sure Goob doesn't go in the front off leash. :ashamed:

Ja, same here with our dogs. It can go either way, with some it works with others it doesn't, so I can't trust them to not attack first. Since I know I would do basically anything to protect my dogs I cant expect less from others... I'm terrified someone would hurt my dogs.

My father in law once kicked on of our dogs when he brought his poodle to our house and our dogs went for it. I feel though it was his fault bringing the dog to us when we had specifically told him not to... he had a key to the gate and he just came and went as he wanted to, sometimes leaving the gate wide opened so our dogs were in the street. I was so angry, I don't think I will ever forgive him for that.

I don't know what's the best way to protect my dogs while on a walk... a stun gun will hurt my dog as well if they are biting each other... wont it? It's such a shame, my dogs loves to go on walks, I would take them everyday if I could:( I have pepper spray but I'm scared to use it if my dogs are close, what if they get it in their face and they can't breath:fie: aargh.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Ja, same here with our dogs. It can go either way, with some it works with others it doesn't, so I can't trust them to not attack first. Since I know I would do basically anything to protect my dogs I cant expect less from others... I'm terrified someone would hurt my dogs.

My father in law once kicked on of our dogs when he brought his poodle to our house and our dogs went for it. I feel though it was his fault bringing the dog to us when we had specifically told him not to... he had a key to the gate and he just came and went as he wanted to, sometimes leaving the gate wide opened so our dogs were in the street. I was so angry, I don't think I will ever forgive him for that.

I don't know what's the best way to protect my dogs while on a walk... a stun gun will hurt my dog as well if they are biting each other... wont it? It's such a shame, my dogs loves to go on walks, I would take them everyday if I could:( I have pepper spray but I'm scared to use it if my dogs are close, what if they get it in their face and they can't breath:fie: aargh.

I had a friend that had bought pepper spray to hang on her key chain. She wanted to test it out once and she opened it, pointed it to her feet, away from her body, and gave a little spray. She said that she sat in her car for the next hour with her eyes on FIRE! I would be too scared that EVERYONE would get affected by it but I've never used it personally.

I totally understand feeling like your FIL was to blame for the situation you described above. Some people just don't get it. I ALWAYS tell people who want to pet Goob that he isn't friendly. Sometimes, they keep coming closer thinking that I'm lying or they tell me, "Oh it's ok, I'm good with dogs" or "Oh no, he would never bite ME." I have to back away from them and say, "REALLY, he does not like strangers!" And we NEVER walk right by somebody. We either cross the street or we just walk in the street until we pass them. I don't take any chances.

I never really thought about a stun gun. I would think that if the dogs are stuck together it would affect both but I have no clue! It's scary bc some dogs latch and won't let go for anything. My sister in law had a pit and it attacked their beagle. My father in law hit it over the head with a broom. The broom broke, it cut the dog's, head open, and it was still shaking the beagle like a rag doll. (Not saying anything against ALL pits. This was just the situation I experienced.)

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Thankfully their schnauzer seems to be fine. He's always been skittish and a bit crazy so I was worried how this would change him mentally. He doesn't seem to have any ill effects from it though. The owner of the dog is a very nasty person and cursed my father in law out for calling animal control and has been evicted from the RV park. I'm just glad he and his aggressive dog are gone for good. It's sad how one bad owner can cause so much chaos.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Wow! Good for your father in law taking a stand. Hopefully that guy learns that there are consequences to his actions and doesn't repeat this same behavior at the next place they go.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I had a friend that had bought pepper spray to hang on her key chain. She wanted to test it out once and she opened it, pointed it to her feet, away from her body, and gave a little spray. She said that she sat in her car for the next hour with her eyes on FIRE! I would be too scared that EVERYONE would get affected by it but I've never used it personally.

I totally understand feeling like your FIL was to blame for the situation you described above. Some people just don't get it. I ALWAYS tell people who want to pet Goob that he isn't friendly. Sometimes, they keep coming closer thinking that I'm lying or they tell me, "Oh it's ok, I'm good with dogs" or "Oh no, he would never bite ME." I have to back away from them and say, "REALLY, he does not like strangers!" And we NEVER walk right by somebody. We either cross the street or we just walk in the street until we pass them. I don't take any chances.

I never really thought about a stun gun. I would think that if the dogs are stuck together it would affect both but I have no clue! It's scary bc some dogs latch and won't let go for anything. My sister in law had a pit and it attacked their beagle. My father in law hit it over the head with a broom. The broom broke, it cut the dog's, head open, and it was still shaking the beagle like a rag doll. (Not saying anything against ALL pits. This was just the situation I experienced.)

I've never tried my pepper spray... it's actually real tear gas... so it might be even worse:fie: My dogs are not aggressive towards strangers that are with me, but I'm SURE Boeboe would bite anyone coming into our yard if I'm not with. She's really a great guard dog in that way, our gardener is terrified of her, he wont even try to make friends with her:eek: Joey and Bennie would just lick people to death so no problem there...

Pitbulls are tough... but I've also not ever met dogs with more patience and love. They are great dogs, but I think it's best to only have one and to socialize it right from the start. If they get into a fight it will be bad. But they can't be blamed for it I feel...

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I've never tried my pepper spray... it's actually real tear gas... so it might be even worse:fie: My dogs are not aggressive towards strangers that are with me, but I'm SURE Boeboe would bite anyone coming into our yard if I'm not with. She's really a great guard dog in that way, our gardener is terrified of her, he wont even try to make friends with her:eek: Joey and Bennie would just lick people to death so no problem there...

Pitbulls are tough... but I've also not ever met dogs with more patience and love. They are great dogs, but I think it's best to only have one and to socialize it right from the start. If they get into a fight it will be bad. But they can't be blamed for it I feel...

The sad thing was that the beagle was the first dog and the pit was the second addition to the family as a small pup. The two dogs used to sleep together and share everything. We came to visit and I took the beagle for a walk and when we came back, the pit continually started to go after him until she finally did. It was really sad. The pit was about a year old. I don't know if it was jealousy or something else but it was really sad. The beagle went to get treatment and came home. The pit had to be leashed up in the back while the beagle went to potty. Unfortunately, with so many people in the house. Someone thought the dog was tied up, someone else untied her, another person let the beagle out and it was round 2. The pit attacked the beagle for a second time and re-opened the stitches. It was so sad. The beagle survived but animal control took the pit and unfortunately, I think it was put down but I'm not certain.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
The sad thing was that the beagle was the first dog and the pit was the second addition to the family as a small pup. The two dogs used to sleep together and share everything. We came to visit and I took the beagle for a walk and when we came back, the pit continually started to go after him until she finally did. It was really sad. The pit was about a year old. I don't know if it was jealousy or something else but it was really sad. The beagle went to get treatment and came home. The pit had to be leashed up in the back while the beagle went to potty. Unfortunately, with so many people in the house. Someone thought the dog was tied up, someone else untied her, another person let the beagle out and it was round 2. The pit attacked the beagle for a second time and re-opened the stitches. It was so sad. The beagle survived but animal control took the pit and unfortunately, I think it was put down but I'm not certain.

Probably jealousy or simple dominance:( Bennie was almost one year old when he started to attack the male we rescued a couple of months earlier. They got along great and one day he just decided he doesn't like him anymore.

Before they are fully matured they don't really care, but when the hormones starts to kick in it's hard to keep dogs from fighting... it's just nature, they need to determine how's the leader if the human is not... I don't think I will ever have more than one dog at a time ever again. It's very stressful and hard work to keep things from getting out of hand. I'm not a leader in any way, I want to love and cuddle and it causes problems. Just this week Bennie has gotten very shitty with Boeboe. He sits by me and guards me from her:( So I'm trying to not baby him so much right now, it's just so hard:ashamed:

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Probably jealousy or simple dominance:( Bennie was almost one year old when he started to attack the male we rescued a couple of months earlier. They got along great and one day he just decided he doesn't like him anymore.

Before they are fully matured they don't really care, but when the hormones starts to kick in it's hard to keep dogs from fighting... it's just nature, they need to determine how's the leader if the human is not... I don't think I will ever have more than one dog at a time ever again. It's very stressful and hard work to keep things from getting out of hand. I'm not a leader in any way, I want to love and cuddle and it causes problems. Just this week Bennie has gotten very shitty with Boeboe. He sits by me and guards me from her:( So I'm trying to not baby him so much right now, it's just so hard:ashamed:

I totally understand. I have been wanting a second bully but the possibilities with what COULD go wrong are keeping me from it. My husband asked me, "What if we get another one and they don't get along? Are you going to give up a puppy or Goob?" I couldn't do either. He is great with dogs that he knew from puppyhood but any new dog is a threat. I told my husband that I could spend my time making sure they get along but in reality its just like you said, some dogs are just going to fight. Maybe a female wouldn't be as threatening??? As for right now, we will remain a one dog family. :yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.