Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another dog attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    I've never tried my pepper spray... it's actually real tear gas... so it might be even worse My dogs are not aggressive towards strangers that are with me, but I'm SURE Boeboe would bite anyone coming into our yard if I'm not with. She's really a great guard dog in that way, our gardener is terrified of her, he wont even try to make friends with her Joey and Bennie would just lick people to death so no problem there...

Pitbulls are tough... but I've also not ever met dogs with more patience and love. They are great dogs, but I think it's best to only have one and to socialize it right from the start. If they get into a fight it will be bad. But they can't be blamed for it I feel...
    The sad thing was that the beagle was the first dog and the pit was the second addition to the family as a small pup. The two dogs used to sleep together and share everything. We came to visit and I took the beagle for a walk and when we came back, the pit continually started to go after him until she finally did. It was really sad. The pit was about a year old. I don't know if it was jealousy or something else but it was really sad. The beagle went to get treatment and came home. The pit had to be leashed up in the back while the beagle went to potty. Unfortunately, with so many people in the house. Someone thought the dog was tied up, someone else untied her, another person let the beagle out and it was round 2. The pit attacked the beagle for a second time and re-opened the stitches. It was so sad. The beagle survived but animal control took the pit and unfortunately, I think it was put down but I'm not certain.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    The sad thing was that the beagle was the first dog and the pit was the second addition to the family as a small pup. The two dogs used to sleep together and share everything. We came to visit and I took the beagle for a walk and when we came back, the pit continually started to go after him until she finally did. It was really sad. The pit was about a year old. I don't know if it was jealousy or something else but it was really sad. The beagle went to get treatment and came home. The pit had to be leashed up in the back while the beagle went to potty. Unfortunately, with so many people in the house. Someone thought the dog was tied up, someone else untied her, another person let the beagle out and it was round 2. The pit attacked the beagle for a second time and re-opened the stitches. It was so sad. The beagle survived but animal control took the pit and unfortunately, I think it was put down but I'm not certain.
    Probably jealousy or simple dominance Bennie was almost one year old when he started to attack the male we rescued a couple of months earlier. They got along great and one day he just decided he doesn't like him anymore.

Before they are fully matured they don't really care, but when the hormones starts to kick in it's hard to keep dogs from fighting... it's just nature, they need to determine how's the leader if the human is not... I don't think I will ever have more than one dog at a time ever again. It's very stressful and hard work to keep things from getting out of hand. I'm not a leader in any way, I want to love and cuddle and it causes problems. Just this week Bennie has gotten very shitty with Boeboe. He sits by me and guards me from her So I'm trying to not baby him so much right now, it's just so hard
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    Probably jealousy or simple dominance Bennie was almost one year old when he started to attack the male we rescued a couple of months earlier. They got along great and one day he just decided he doesn't like him anymore.

Before they are fully matured they don't really care, but when the hormones starts to kick in it's hard to keep dogs from fighting... it's just nature, they need to determine how's the leader if the human is not... I don't think I will ever have more than one dog at a time ever again. It's very stressful and hard work to keep things from getting out of hand. I'm not a leader in any way, I want to love and cuddle and it causes problems. Just this week Bennie has gotten very shitty with Boeboe. He sits by me and guards me from her So I'm trying to not baby him so much right now, it's just so hard

I totally understand. I have been wanting a second bully but the possibilities with what COULD go wrong are keeping me from it. My husband asked me, "What if we get another one and they don't get along? Are you going to give up a puppy or Goob?" I couldn't do either. He is great with dogs that he knew from puppyhood but any new dog is a threat. I told my husband that I could spend my time making sure they get along but in reality its just like you said, some dogs are just going to fight. Maybe a female wouldn't be as threatening??? As for right now, we will remain a one dog family.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Petra van der Walt
    Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Goob14 View Post
    I totally understand. I have been wanting a second bully but the possibilities with what COULD go wrong are keeping me from it. My husband asked me, "What if we get another one and they don't get along? Are you going to give up a puppy or Goob?" I couldn't do either. He is great with dogs that he knew from puppyhood but any new dog is a threat. I told my husband that I could spend my time making sure they get along but in reality its just like you said, some dogs are just going to fight. Maybe a female wouldn't be as threatening??? As for right now, we will remain a one dog family.
    In general male/female gets along best BUT our male fights at plain sight with Joey, she's a girl, she just got a manly name. They are separated always. House and garden is split up in two, for the simple reason that we couldn't give up any of them. Bennie was my little baby and we had just rescued Joey who had lots of health issues that we couldn't trust anyone else to sort out. So that's my reality Bennie and Boeboe also fight sometimes, thankfully not very often. If they fight it always because of jealousy, either for attention or food.

It is really hard, I didn't know it could even be this difficult. I've always only had one dog in the past and they always got along great with other dogs so this was a total surprise for me. But now I know and I've learned from it so that's what matters
    You were born with the ability to change someone's life, don't ever waste it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads