Oil Painting went wrong

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I think you are lucky pork chop didn't chase after the goat or gazel in the background!!! :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It is a bit odd that the scenery was changed, but I am definitely not an artist. The good thing is that Pork Chop looks amazing in both the beautiful beach picture and the oil painting. If your beach picture is good quality, maybe get a blow up or a canvas done of it to put on your wall as well.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looking at it from strictly an art standpoint, I think the scenery he painted distracts the eye from the main focus of the picture, which is pork chop. This is an artist's focal point in art and should understand it if you tell him that.

I personally would ask to have the background redone , if no beach, just a nice blend of colors that will not distract from the focus, and then pay him handsomely for doing such a great job on it when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
It is a bit odd that the scenery was changed, but I am definitely not an artist. The good thing is that Pork Chop looks amazing in both the beautiful beach picture and the oil painting. If your beach picture is good quality, maybe get a blow up or a canvas done of it to put on your wall as well.
Good point.

One a good note, I found a new artist. A student, who does amazing work using acrylic. She offered to do a make over if I buy the painting at $40 top pay bec it's not what I want. The new artist will add the ocean and touch up Pork chop bring the shadows out. She will charge $90 to make the corrections. She was in disbelief when I showed her the beach pic and the mountain painting.

If the man says, no. We will start fresh with a nice size canvas with acrylic and she will add a gloss to look like oil paint.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Good luck! Hopefully you will end up with the gorgeous painting you want. Be sure to post pictures of your new/revised painting!

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I love the original picture of Porkchop. Frame that!

The painting doesn't appeal to me. I immediately get the feeling your artist recycled a pre-painted landscape.

The bulldog in the painting is beautiful, but......you asked for a Porktrait and your artist painted a likeness. Too many of the proportions are off for my OCD.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good luck! Hopefully you will end up with the gorgeous painting you want. Be sure to post pictures of your new/revised painting!
Thank you. I will 😊

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I love the original picture of Porkchop. Frame that!

The painting doesn't appeal to me. I immediately get the feeling your artist recycled a pre-painted landscape.

The bulldog in the painting is beautiful, but......you asked for a Porktrait and your artist painted a likeness. Too many of the proportions are off for my OCD.
Many people said, the background is ugly. I have to agree, my heart was set on the ocean. He did a fantastic job on Pork chop. You could be right about the recycle , bec he said oceans were difficult to draw ( maybe an excuse). He probably didn't want to fix it. I called him and no answer. If I don't hear from him , this whole thing will be dropped and move on to the new painter.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I made a decision to take some advise and blow up the picture and put it on canvas

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I think that you will love it! We had two particularly nice pictures of Frank that were high resolution and had them put on canvases. We were thrilled - they turned out amazing. I have one in my office and my husband has the other in his office.

Can't wait to see beautiful Pork Chop on canvas!

I made a decision to take some advise and blow up the picture and put it on canvas

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think that you will love it! We had two particularly nice pictures of Frank that were high resolution and had them put on canvases. We were thrilled - they turned out amazing. I have one in my office and my husband has the other in his office.

Can't wait to see beautiful Pork Chop on canvas!
Me too:)

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Weird...the beach background looks easier to paint..but I'm no artist so can't criticize that...I agree with everyone else..Porkchop looks fantastic in it! It's awesome!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I asked a very good friend of mine if her dad would paint a portrait of my dog . He agreed, to do it. Up front he said, if I didn't like it he would do it for free. Ok , I agreed no written documents I trusted him. Her dad called to say it is finished and I come see it and he will have his daughter (my friend ) take a pic and text me.

When I got the text, I noticed Pork chop how beautiful she looked. My mom noticed it was different scenery. I didn't get mad it would make matters worse. I kept calm and asked what happened to the beach? He explained to me oceans were difficult to paint and he went ahead with his own idea. I wish, he would have consulted me first to explain and I would understand. I am feeling like pleased with her outcome but wish it was the beach. Any comfort is welcomed .
233591c3f55cbcb465730014d90ee8c3.jpg
6f88a9c627dc3cbf436c02e0e63720be.jpg

I painted him for you with a beach scene. member1 res.jpg

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Good point.

One a good note, I found a new artist. A student, who does amazing work using acrylic. She offered to do a make over if I buy the painting at $40 top pay bec it's not what I want. The new artist will add the ocean and touch up Pork chop bring the shadows out. She will charge $90 to make the corrections. She was in disbelief when I showed her the beach pic and the mountain painting.

If the man says, no. We will start fresh with a nice size canvas with acrylic and she will add a gloss to look like oil paint.

I'm an artist....in a way. One of the things that struck me as odd......someone needs to add the harness in! He painted the "muffin top" from the harness, but by excluding the harness......it looks weird.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

If you want me to edit the photo first.....clean up the yellow tinge, whiten the face, let me know.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online