binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
What do y'all think of him and his techniques? I've been watching his new 911 show on NatGeo. One of them had an American bully who was redzone. He lived on a horse ranch with a rottie. The rottie was overexcited and just wanted to play with the horses. But all the noise he made got the attention of the bully who was the aggressive dog. Eventually, César was able to calm the dog down. The bully had also bitten the families 3 year old child 3times! Needless to say, I watched this episode very carefully. Even though Chubbs is no longer mine :cry:I watched the show to see where I went wrong. The no touch, no talk, no eye contact is my mistake. And maybe he needed some kind of job.

It's been a few weeks since my cousin took Chubbs. We've talked since and the dogs are getting along great! Chubbs likes to mouth play (knew that) and he's already bitten my cousins hubby... but it was his own fault, didn't listen to my warnings. While Chubbs was eating, the hubby tried to pet him!!! My mom asked who took Chubbs, so I told her and how things were going. Ya know what she said... that RG is "bulls**t". She went on about how a dog should wait until they're allowed to eat, they shouldn't do anything if a human takes the food away, etc. She doesn't get it. My dad saw what I had been talking about. Just because her dog is really good doesn't mean all are.

I really want to get another dog, eventually. Probably when we move out of the 3rd floor condo and into an actual house with a yard. But hubby doesn't wanna go thru this again. I don't either but that doesn't mean every dog will act that way. For the time being, we have our 2 cats... one of which is sick (Binx). His potty habits were bad (now getting better after some medicine). The vet found blood and crystals in his urine. And he has a heart murmur!!! He's only 6!!!!!!! And she called my 4yo kitty a moose, which he kinda is but still.

Anyway, other than that and work being CRAZY busy... we're alright. My MIL is driving me nuts about Chubbs (is he being treated good?, like we treated him? What's your cousins contact info?) Ugh, shoot me now. :censored: :bang: Hope all is well.

Black kitty is Binx WIN_20021208_120000 (24).JPG Half Maine Coon is Rex WIN_20021208_120000 (16).JPG

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have mixed feelings about Cesar Milan, but I DO agree w/his saying that a tired dog is a better behaved dog.

I get the feeling that you are feeling guilty about re-homing Chubbs and you shouldn't… I had to re-home a dog many years ago. The hubby got this "great" idea from his dad for us to get an Australian Cattle Dog as our family dog. Well our son was a toddler and my hubby was gone all the time… cattle dogs are working dogs and I didn't have the time to work w/her. Nala was very aggressive around our son, and then she tried to attack our neighbors outdoor rabbit. I tried training classes w/her, but it was obvious she was not the type of dog that we could handle in our current circumstances. I found a pastor who owned a goat farm and she ended up living there.

Sometimes things don't work out the way that you want them to, but you have to do the best you can w/the cards you are dealt. Hopefully Chubbs will adjust to his new family and things will work out fine… ;)

OP
binxrexchubbs

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
Thanks [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]! You always make me smile. [emoji3]

boo boo butts mom

Oct 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
boo boo butt
My brother just called me yesterday to ask me about a dog he is interested in. I ask him what he knew about the dog? He said omg so cute. I said brother all dogs are cute but do you know if the dog is a working dog? Basically did you research that breed? He said no i never thought about it, just thought it was cute. I wasn't trying to get him to not get the dog but more so gain some knowledge about a dog and the needs of a dog. Not all of us can provide what a dog needs, i have been there done that and i was not what was best for the dog lol. That was many years ago and i have been learning ever since.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I haven't watched much of the dog whisperer but I personally don't buy into intimidation techniques... and everything I have seen, doesn't seem safe enough for the average joe to try on their dog in their own home.

glad to hear chubbs is doing well! love the pics of your cats, especially the half maine coon, what a cool guy.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I like watching Ceasar, but I don't practice what I see usually. He sure gets some amazingly quick results.

I always feel for you when I read your posts about Chubbs. I once had to re home a bully and it nearly broke my heart! The whole situation takes too long to tell, but I ended up with a female boxer and a female bully who were trying to kill each other. Like you, we worked with several trainers and did everything we could possibly think of. The situation kept getting worse and we just couldn't live that way. I ended up keeping my boxer (sweetest girl) because I'd had her longer, and she was actually the source of the conflict. I ended up re-homing Annie, my beloved bully (1 yr. old), because I knew she would adjust better to a new home and not cause trouble with another dog. It all worked out well, Annie got a great home with a bully brother who loved her at first sight. But it was the most painful experience and it hurt for a long time!
I do know how you feel but it does get better with time. Try not to dwell on what went wrong, it wasn't your fault. You went over and beyond what most people would do to make it work--it just didn't.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@binxrexchubbs So good to "see" you! I have been wondering how you were doing! Your cats are very pretty, and I am happy that you have them to focus on.
No one here blames you at all. We are happy that you will stay with us, and "hang out!" I don't get the programs that Cesar Milan is on, but I have seen
some, and I like alot of his ideas. But remember, it's a TV show, and they are not going to show you if he has failures-which I am sure he has.Don't beat
yourself up! You will get another pup, and you will have learned from any mistakes made!:heart:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's good to see you! I have to agree with Tracey, you should never feel guilty, all is well. You have 2 cute kitties there!!! :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good to see you! No reason to feel guilty or bad.... you did all the right things by Chubbs, he is progressing slowly and that is all good! You will have another dog, just give it time and like you said, it may need to wait till you have a yard -- it helps, but not the reason Chubbs had issues, there is more to it and it could just have been in his genes --- Banks was our beetchy girl, same breeder as all my babies... just like humans all dogs are different and have different personalities and we just need to know how to manage it.

i am happy you have your kitties and I hope Binx feels better soon.

I love Cesar -- lots of people do not, but i like the positive influence he has had in helping people understand and see how to handle a dog. I watched the episode you are talking about -- i learned a few things too.

:hug:

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Personally I really like Caesar and his techniques. I think too many people treat their dogs like humans and then act surprised when their dog has issues. Caesar's techniques probably aren't for everyone but overall I think he's done a ton of good for the dog world. I'm so sorry that you had to give up Chubbs...we went through that a few years ago with a Belgian Malinois. My husband got him to use on patrol and we raised him from a puppy. Unfortunately the police dept had a major budget cut which took out the possibility of using him as a police k9. We tried to train him in other venues but ultimately he needed a strictly working home...he was miserable being a pet and started to develop aggression. We sold him to the military and now he's a bomb detection dog working overseas :) Hang in there. It does get easier as time goes on.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Miss Pork Chop is my first dog. I adopted her in Dec 2013. I grabbed any advice , technique and learning tools to help me with issues we had in the past. In a nutshell , it took Porkchop a year to finally realize this is her home and I am her new mommy.

The outcome she's the most loving dog and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

I learned how to be the leader of the pack through Cesar on YouTube . I struggled with Porkchop listening to me. I firmly , say No! Getting her used to me saying No! Took practice it was not an overnight success.

I figured socializing Porkchop will be challenging at the same time , I don't want to put other dogs at risk bec Porkchop doesn't like other dogs. Whoever had her before me never socialized her when she was a puppy. I am ok with it if we don't go to doggie parks. When we do go to the doggie park she has to be the only one. Here at my place we wait until it's clear and go. She loves to sniff around and act the queen bee lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Miss Pork Chop is my first dog. I adopted her in Dec 2013. I grabbed any advice , technique and learning tools to help me with issues we had in the past. In a nutshell , it took Porkchop a year to finally realize this is her home and I am her new mommy.

I learned how to be the leader of the pack through Cesar on YouTube . I struggled with Porkchop listening to me. I firmly , say No! Getting her used to me saying No! Took practice it was not an overnight success.

I figured socializing Porkchop will be challenging at the same time , I don't want to put other dogs at risk bec Porkchop doesn't like other dogs. Whoever had her before me never socialized her when she was a puppy. I am ok with it if we don't go to doggie parks. When we do go to the doggie park she has to be the only one. Here at my place we wait until it's clear and go. She loves to sniff around and act the queen bee lol

How wonderful to see this post from you and catch up on
Pork Chop. You've done a great job, hanging in there with
her issues. Most bulldogs are difficult for the 1st time dog
owner and adopted ones that are problematic?...HIDE, lol

I so admire & respect you, big hugs to y'all <3

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi

How wonderful to see this post from you and catch up on
Pork Chop. You've done a great job, hanging in there with
her issues. Most bulldogs are difficult for the 1st time dog
owner and adopted ones that are problematic?...HIDE, lol

I so admire & respect you, big hugs to y'all <3
I faced a lot of challenges and worked very hard with her. Hahaha problematic it was in the beginning things are much better. Except when it comes to ear drops she gets mad. Of course, isn't it a typical dog thing lol

Thank you, I like to encourage others not to give up on their dog. It's rewarding at the end to watch how they blossomed. They can go from being a meanie to the sweetest dog ever.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
He's a great teacher and has taught tons of people to be confident around their dogs and master of their pack. I will agree that his methods are not for everyone, but if you're able to see your dog as a dog and not a human it should be much easier to follow his practices. I was brought in a house that breed Labradors and I've been using a lot of the alpha techniques since I was a child and will stand behind them 100%.

I will say that Bulldogs are much more work and Boris has been the toughest pup I've worked with. He does a great job with me around, but the second I'm gone he does what he wants and nothing else... He isn't aggressive or anything, but he'll just sit and stare at you thinking "silly human". This really upsets my girlfriend so we've hired a trainer to come out and help... (I'm waiting to say I told you so :evil:)

Glad to hear an update on Chubbs and hope your kitty feels better!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I think you did the right thing re-homing Chubbs, sometimes things just don't work out no matter how hard we try or want it to:assurred: Nothing says it will be the same if you get another dog... the chances are it will go great cos now you know how things can go wrong:)

I have a house full of dog issues so you are not alone having problems. I do think many of Cesar's methods works but it's not for every person or every dog, we're all different and a person who's scared wont be able to pull of what he's doing. Also, even Cesar has said bulldogs are very difficult:fie:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.