Best camera??

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Hey guys! I'm looking for suggestions for a point and shoot camera. I'm a pro photographer but all of my gear is really big and expensive so it's reserved only for work. We have a lot of fun things planned for the summer that I want to document...a trip to Disney world, a beach trip, summer camp, pool time, etc. I can read camera specs all day long but I'd rather hear from people who actually use a camera. Do you guys have any suggestions? We just need a basic point and shoot camera under $125. Nothing fancy :)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
For point and click stuff we just use a little Samsung that we picked up on sale for like $135. It is kinda like a phone camera that has both front and rear facing lenses. It works for our needs. If we need more we just snag one of our sons DSLR's. Lol

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Canon point and shoots are always good. I originally bought a Nikon, but the red eye was weird. It would flash several times before the photo and by then the subject had already moved off screen. I returned it and got a Canon. But, to be perfectly honest.....I haven't used my point and shoot since I got my iPhone.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Has anyone used a Nikon Cool pix? That's the type I think we are leaning towards. I had a Canon Elph a few years ago but I hated it...it took forever to focus and the image quality was awful.

bryanmetzger

May 6, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus / Rocco / Lola
Use your pro gear. Otherwise, when looking back at the pics, you'll always wonder what it would have been with your "good" camera

bryanmetzger

May 6, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus / Rocco / Lola
I do have a Olympus stylus tough that does ok but I seem to only use it for underwater stuff if i forgot to charge my go pro

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Use your pro gear. Otherwise, when looking back at the pics, you'll always wonder what it would have been with your "good" camera

Nah, my stuff cost thousands and it's how I make a living. Plus it's extremely heavy and hard to carry around. I took my big camera to Disney once and by lunchtime on the first day I regretted it. I was so paranoid about something happening to it that I couldn't relax and enjoy the day. It's all insured of course but still more hassle than it's worth.

bryanmetzger

May 6, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus / Rocco / Lola
I gotcha. I try not to lug all my gear, sometimes I'll just bring my body and a cheap prime lens like a Nikkor 50mm

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I did have a Canon 50D body that was good for that purpose but even that was overkill sometimes. I want something that can literally fit into my purse or my husband's pocket and not so expensive that I have to worry about theft. I'm usually a Canon user but I think a little Nikon will be what we go with.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I have an iphone but I plan on leaving it at home for vacation. We are trying to disconnect for a few days ;)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Nah, my stuff cost thousands and it's how I make a living. Plus it's extremely heavy and hard to carry around. I took my big camera to Disney once and by lunchtime on the first day I regretted it. I was so paranoid about something happening to it that I couldn't relax and enjoy the day. It's all insured of course but still more hassle than it's worth.

I brought my good camera to Disney, and we got tired of lugging it around too so I ended up just using my iPhone. The pics were great… Lol

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I brought my good camera to Disney, and we got tired of lugging it around too so I ended up just using my iPhone. The pics were great… Lol

We love to ride ALL of the rides so having a big camera bag is just not practical. A roller coaster or a water ride is no place for my main stuff LOL...not to mention the threat of theft. We'll pick up a cheap point and shoot and leave the good stuff at home :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We love to ride ALL of the rides so having a big camera bag is just not practical. A roller coaster or a water ride is no place for my main stuff LOL...not to mention the threat of theft. We'll pick up a cheap point and shoot and leave the good stuff at home :)

That was our issue… PLUS I was trying to keep up w/my grandson who's 3. Let's face it Disney is NOT a vacation… more like a workout!!! Lol

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Has anyone used a Nikon Cool pix? That's the type I think we are leaning towards. I had a Canon Elph a few years ago but I hated it...it took forever to focus and the image quality was awful.

That was the one we returned. It was over 5 years ago so the models will not be the same. It was the flash that made me return it. I'm using it to photograph Vegas and Orion...and they are on the move. It had a double flash....something to do with the red eye reduction (which doesn't work with pets, as you already know)

I love my canon point and shoot.

You should pick up the Nikon before your vacation and play with it for a few days. (Costco has a great return policy within a certain amount of days) If it's not to your liking, try a Canon. I'm a Canon user and I just didn't care for the Nikon point and shoot.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.