Medical bills...

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
So we just got a phone call from a random person claiming that we owe over $500 for my son's surgery...from FOUR years ago! We paid this off in full around the time of service so this totally surprised us. My husband asked the guy who he was with and we googled the name. They have no website and a zillion complaints. The guy claimed that they have already filed a negative report on our credit and that they will come after us for the money. We aren't easily intimidated so my husband just told him to prove the debt was valid by sending us an invoice that we can verify. The guy hung up on him. Do you guys think this is legit or a scam? Any idea if they can even claim a debt that is so old?? My husband is out of work for 6 more months from his knee surgery so a surprise medical bill is not what we need right now...:nope:

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
scam, scam, scam, scam. I would program my phone to reject calls from this person. A valid collection will need to be communicated by mail 1st. If that gets ignored, then phone calls will follow.

No collection will start with a phone call 1st.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
That's what we figured...it's just creepy how they knew my son's name, birthday, surgery date, etc. We are checking our credit report and looking into any fraud. UGH.

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
My opinion...Total scam! No worries until documentation comes to your address and the bill will be itemized, with a letter head, and contact information. If you have proof showing your payment in full, you can always call your local police department (not 911;)) and make a claim. Tell them what was said on the phone call, the number if you guys have it, and just make them aware of it.

Someone called my friend's grandmother claiming that it was her grandson in Mexico, he got stopped at a check point, and is being held in jail until someone sends the money. They knew the grandmother's name and my friend's name. BUT this sharp cookie said, "if this is really you, when is your birthday?" CLICK. End of story. I wouldn't be worried but totally creepy what people will resort to. Scaring people into giving up some cash. Sad.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
My opinion...Total scam! No worries until documentation comes to your address and the bill will be itemized, with a letter head, and contact information. If you have proof showing your payment in full, you can always call your local police department (not 911;)) and make a claim. Tell them what was said on the phone call, the number if you guys have it, and just make them aware of it.

Someone called my friend's grandmother claiming that it was her grandson in Mexico, he got stopped at a check point, and is being held in jail until someone sends the money. They knew the grandmother's name and my friend's name. BUT this sharp cookie said, "if this is really you, when is your birthday?" CLICK. End of story. I wouldn't be worried but totally creepy what people will resort to. Scaring people into giving up some cash. Sad.

My husband is a police officer and told the guy that when he was getting threatening. Soon after that he hung up :rolleyes: We asked for an invoice to be mailed to us to prove it's legit...I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. We blocked the number.

harveyspecter

Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
That's what we figured...it's just creepy how they knew my son's name, birthday, surgery date, etc. We are checking our credit report and looking into any fraud. UGH.

Unfortunately, criminals are getting crafty these days and they are getting and accessing information on the cheap so you have to be proactive and check on your credit report often. They have access to hospital records, they know when you visited the doctor, had your surgery and so on.

My insurance company - Anthem Blue Cross - just mailed me a letter notifying me that my personal information have been compromised so in return they are offerring a credit monitoring service free of charge.
So scary.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
SCAM CITY!!! People in this area are getting supposed calls from the IRS demanding credit card numbers oner the phone to pay taxes overdue… it's all BS!!! Next time they call tell them you are having the number traced… :evil:

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
We checked our credit report and sure enough it's been compromised :glare: We called the medical group that originally did the surgery and they don't know anything about the charges. I swear I hate criminals...

harveyspecter

Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
SCAM CITY!!! People in this area are getting supposed calls from the IRS demanding credit card numbers oner the phone to pay taxes overdue… it's all BS!!! Next time they call tell them you are having the number traced… :evil:

tracing the number helps but unfortunately will not do you any good getting them arrested. They are using VOIP phone like OOMA or magic jack attached to a laptop computer outside of the U.S. Reason they are getting too bold is because they know they are not going to get caught. And if they did, the local government will not bother them. In addition, they know their country does not have any extradition treaties with the US. so very difficult to prosecute. Part of globalization I guess.

OP
OliviaB

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
Soooo frustrating...our credit is completely jacked up. There were all sorts of inquiries and things that we have no idea about. We've disputed it all and will talk to an attorney to have it fixed but it's crazy how quickly they can screw up your life. I need a new car this year so this could really affect things if we can't get it all removed quickly :moping: Not to mention the fact that some criminal knows private info about my baby...that totally pisses me off.

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Definitely a scam. Been getting those calls lately. They would leave a voicemail but will never say the name who they calling for.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I was just about to reply that take the matter to the police, but looks like you all ready have...

My husband is a police officer and told the guy that when he was getting threatening. Soon after that he hung up :rolleyes: We asked for an invoice to be mailed to us to prove it's legit...I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. We blocked the number.

Members online